Im so Confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dat1guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm in a really bad situation. Due to some excruciating circumstances in high school, I was not able to attend a UC straight out of high school. I have heard it is hard to get into a medical school from a CSU (California State University). I'm currently in my sophomore year now at a CSU and my gpa is around a 3.3. I did bad my freshman year (2.9) but had a stellar fall semester. Is it worth it transferring to a cc then to a UC (University of California) if i am dead set on competing for medical school? I have completed 1 semester of Organic Chemistry, General Biology, and General Chemistry at this CSU, but will have to do my Physics, Calculus, and 1 semester of Orgo at a CC. Is that frowned upon? Thanks so much. BTW this CSU is based off a semester system.

Members don't see this ad.

Right now I'm in a really bad situation. Due to some excruciating circumstances in high school, I was not able to attend a UC straight out of high school. I have heard it is hard to get into a medical school from a CSU (California State University). I'm currently in my sophomore year now at a CSU and my gpa is around a 3.3. I did bad my freshman year (2.9) but had a stellar fall semester. Is it worth it transferring to a cc then to a UC (University of California) if i am dead set on competing for medical school? I have completed 1 semester of Organic Chemistry, General Biology, and General Chemistry at this CSU, but will have to do my Physics, Calculus, and 1 semester of Orgo at a CC. Is that frowned upon? Thanks so much. BTW this CSU is based off a semester system.

I attend a CSU in SoCal. Last year, 86% of our applying pre-meds got accepted. You probably would have a harder time getting accepted to Ivy League programs, but you won't have a problem with most of the allopathic and osteopathic programs.

You should be fine staying where you are, but work on raising your GPA while you can. Goal should be 3.6

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I am new to this website so I am not even sure if am replying to someone or posting a new thread. I need advice...regarding foreign medical schools. In particular, about carrib. med.schools vs. Poland med school. Does anyone know which one is more reliable? Or maybe there are other schools you migh suggest?

Thank you!

Cream rises to the top, whatever container it is sitting in. It would not be better to take prerequisite classes at a CC, as this is often perceived to offer less rigorous preparation for th MCAT.

The post by Ibn Alnafis MD should be very reassuring to you. Do excellent work from now on. If necessary, be willing to apply after your senior year, or delay graduating so you can stay for a fifth year, or plan for additional postbac GPA repair after you graduate. But with straight As from now on, you'll be at a reasonably competitive 3.65 at the end of junior year.