I'm so disappointed in myself..I'm gonna get a "D" in chem 2 again!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm such a terrible procrastinator, and I'm paying for it once again.

I'm gonna bomb chem 2 again. Theres no way around it. Even if I ace the final, I'm screwed. I'm so tired going through this at the end of every damn semester.

The most annoying part is I know I didn't put enough time in, and had I done that I know I wouldn't be in this situation. Chemistry is all about repitition. If you do 10-20 problems a day you'll master it. I know this and I still didn't do it. I'm such a lazy bum.

Right now I'm actually thinking about maybe changing to nursing. Or I could retake it in the summer, which would be my 3rd time.

What kind of idiot can't pass gen chem? Me. I'm that idiot.

Feel free to make fun of me. It's 4 am and I'm still awake cramming for a test. I'm such a fail.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want to put in the work, you don't want it enough. Do you really want to be a doctor?

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How are you going to let gen chem derail you from becoming a doctor?

Reactions: 2 users

I'm gonna bomb chem 2 again. Theres no way around it. Even if I ace the final, I'm screwed. I'm so tired going through this at the end of every damn semester.

The most annoying part is I know I didn't put enough time in, and had I done that I know I wouldn't be in this situation. Chemistry is all about repitition. If you do 10-20 problems a day you'll master it. I know this and I still didn't do it. I'm such a lazy bum.

Right now I'm actually thinking about maybe changing to nursing. Or I could retake it in the summer, which would be my 3rd time.

Feel free to make fun of me. It's 4 am and I'm still awake cramming for a test. I'm such a fail.

Listen, it's not that you can't. Maybe you can't but you haven't even given yourself a chance, by not preparing.

You're young and things won't always go right.

Get through this moment and really decide for yourself what you truly want to do with your life.

If you change your career to the easiest thing on the planet (whatever that is) does it sit okay with you to bomb classes that you know you could do better in? I imagine it won't. So don't fix the problem by changing career goals.

Fix the problem at the source which is you taking the ownership to work consistently on the things you are committed to.

I struggled the same way. My now wife told me I was f***ing up and needed to do better everyday. I changed my life and things started falling into place. You will reap dividends for your effort in changing if that's what you choose to do. The benefits are beyond if you're a doctor or not and really are about your character as a person

Reactions: 7 users
Why didn't you just drop the class or withdraw if you knew you were twiddling your thumbs the entire semester? Getting a D again in a pre-req is going to hurt. You are not an idiot but you need to tighten up. Do not take the class again until you are ready to make a commitment to actually try to succeed.

Last edited:
Stop with the pot and video games and I bet you can do it.

I know a guy (SWIM) who spoke with Maryjane 3 times a day, played League of Legends 5 hours per day, and 4.0'd college. Seriously, college isn't hard.

Reactions: 4 users
I know a guy (SWIM) who spoke with Maryjane 3 times a day, played League of Legends 5 hours per day, and 4.0'd college. Seriously, college isn't hard.

Enough with your n=1 stories :D Check out /r/leaves for many failed college dreams because of "the pot" (as we call it on the streets).

Reactions: 1 users
Listen, General Chemistry II isn't that hard. The problem is, as you said, you procrastinated. You didn't put in the time and effort needed to succeed and get an A in the class. Some people can smoke pot and play video games all day and still nail out a 4.0. This isn't you. You're not stupid. You mentioned becoming a nurse. Guess what? Most nurses still need to take a year's worth of inorganic chemistry. That means taking Gen Chem II. My recommendation is NOT to take this class until you are READY to put the time and effort into it. Take a W, if you still can, and take it again when you are ready to do so.

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe spend more time studying and less time on SDN?

Reactions: 1 user
Listen, General Chemistry II isn't that hard. The problem is, as you said, you procrastinated. You didn't put in the time and effort needed to succeed and get an A in the class. Some people can smoke pot and play video games all day and still nail out a 4.0. This isn't you. You're not stupid. You mentioned becoming a nurse. Guess what? Most nurses still need to take a year's worth of inorganic chemistry. That means taking Gen Chem II. My recommendation is NOT to take this class until you are READY to put the time and effort into it. Take a W, if you still can, and take it again when you are ready to do so.

No, actually. Most nursing programs have their students take gen chem light.

No, actually. Most nursing programs have their students take gen chem light.

At my school, they have an option to take gen chem light or regular gen chem and then they're done. I guess it varies from school to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best girl in my allied health program in college back in the day had a daughter, worked full time, and smoked weed erryday and ended up with a 3.9.

Why did you make this thread just for a venue to whine?

Can you take a W? Even retroactively? How about an INC?

You need to either change your habits (which won't magically change by themselves), or definitely go to plan B. Lucikly, you stil have lots of time.

Maybe also consider suspending you academic career and working for a few years, athen coming back later when you're more ready?

Reactions: 2 users
Best girl in my allied health program in college back in the day had a daughter, worked full time, and smoked weed erryday and ended up with a 3.9.

Is that really a good example to set for the daughter?

Do you have the option of speaking to a counselor? Maybe it might help to discuss your lack of motivation with a professional who can help you determine why it exists and what you need to do to break your current habits.

if you just do all the practice problems in gen chem you should be set. it's like 75%+ dull repetitive plug and chug. just understand the basics and you should be good, work on your mathematical skills if you're missing them. also http://youtube.com/user/enderlephd (chem chair at my undergrad) has pretty much everything explained. watch the videos while doing problems, you're set.

if you just do all the practice problems in gen chem you should be set. it's like 75%+ dull repetitive plug and chug.
I don't really understand how General Chemistry is difficult for some people. It's AP Chemistry all over again.

I don't really understand how General Chemistry is difficult for some people. It's AP Chemistry all over again.

yea, also a lot of it is basically just math with chemicals. it requires very little conceptual understanding.

I never had AP chemistry, or passed high school algebra. ^^

murdered the class, though.

Edit: OP, you know what you did wrong. You have to put some work in to get decent grades in gen chem. I'm sorry about the habitual procrastination issue - I'm guilty of it as well.

Good luck in the future!

Last edited:
I never had AP chemistry, or passed high school algebra. ^^

murdered the class, though.
Well then I can understand how it might be difficult. Many premeds have taken AP Biology, AP Chemistry, and AP Physics so college ends up being a repeat of those classes.

Well then I can understand how it might be difficult. Many premeds have taken AP Biology, AP Chemistry, and AP Physics so college ends up being a repeat of those classes.

It wasn't that I failed classes in high school despite trying as hard as I could. I had a skipping-school-all-the-time problem. :oops:

I took regular high school chemistry back in 2005 or 2006 and am just taking Gen Chem I now. I also hadn't had a math class since college statistics in, I think, 2008. It wasn't my lack of background knowledge on the subject that made it intimidating to me, though. It was the fact that I have I professor who's basically too intelligent for the job. He seems incapable of explaining concepts on the introductory level and prefers to go into more complex applications of them, which is great but not when you don't have the basics down first.

I thought he expected us to grasp the material on such an advanced level, and it freaked me out. Once I started ignoring him and teaching myself with online tutorials, I was fine. 105 on the last exam and a 99 average in the class at the moment. I'll get an A as long as I score at least a 55 on the final. A lot of my classmates aren't so lucky, though, because they continued to try to study from lecture notes.

Yeah exactly. AP chem makes gen chem look like a cakewalk, as it's supposed to do.

I don't understand how people study from lecture notes.

Have you been using the textbook?

You're right. You know exactly what you need to do but the problem is forcing yourself to do it. Like others said, take a W for this course if you still can.

If you really want it badly, you need to change your ways. Find out why you are procrastinating and fix it. Too much tv watching? Well, get rid of your tv. Whatever it may be, fix it if you want to succeed.

Also don't be afraid to go get help from your professor. Go to office hours! I don't think I've ever regretted going to office hours. They are always very helpful! Also try to form a study group with a friend if possible. That'll motivate you to study.

just get through premed courses the best you can OP. you'll be held account for almost zero % of your premed knowledge as a doctor. do what you have to do to learn the material and get the grade. it sucks, but as soon as you're done and succeed it'll be worth it.

I wanna meet this guy. Hahah.

OP, I scored a B- in Gen Chem 1 out of procrastination & downright poor choices too. I'm nearing the end of my semester in Gen Chem 2 and I'm looking at a B+ if I do decently on the final, and an A- if I blow it away. This semester's professor is WAY more difficult than first semester's, so I really regret not doing better when I had it so easy. But what changed things for me is tutoring. I advise you go.

There is a small group of elite chemistry students who have aced one or more of the chemistry classes at my school. They gather every day to tutor the less fortunate in chemistry. They are geniuses, and really work hard and understand the material backwards and forwards. Their determination inspired me to do better and take my classes more seriously (okay that, and the fact that a few of the guy tutors are extremely attractive haha).

Anyways, yeah. Go to tutoring.

I don't understand how people study from lecture notes.

Wat. This is the only way to study. The prof read the book for you and his/her notes are the relevant parts (which are in lecture). Rare is the prof who also requires you to read the book.

Wat. This is the only way to study. The prof read the book for you and his/her notes are the relevant parts (which are in lecture). Rare is the prof who also requires you to read the book.

This. If they give you notes, I never, ever touched the book haha

I never took AP classes :X

Is that really a good example to set for the daughter?

I know people whose parents smoke weed. It's really not that big of a deal. And a 3.9 is awesome

Yeah that was not offered at my high school. Which sucks because I totally would have taken it too.

Yeah that was not offered at my high school. Which sucks because I totally would have taken it too.
I would say the only way they help for premed is going through the same material that is covered in those undergraduate courses at the high school level. So essentially students get a second crack at the same material. Heck there are some high school students that use the MCAT prep books during those AP classes.

I know people whose parents smoke weed. It's really not that big of a deal. And a 3.9 is awesome

The "I know... " Game is not the justification. It really is for each person to decide what they think is okay within the societal laws.

For example, if I said...I know people who eat boogers and bathe in poop and they have a kid who gets a 3.9...some people may still think its not an acceptable behavior to eat boogers and have poop baths.

First is it legal? Wether we agree or not we must obey the laws that are set forth. We can work to try and affect change but until then they should be obeyed

Second does it agree with you? This is a combination of your beliefs, faith, family, community etc and you ultimately.

The "I know a" family or a person game is just highlighting that it occurs and not proof that it should occur.

As for marijuana...for most people it is still a law breaking substance.

Regarding the OP, his problems are not related to pot unless the pot is the primary reason he has no motivation to work consistently. Maybe it is and I missed that, but I got the sense it is their habit of procrastination that has gotten them in this hot water.

I started out reading the book because I'm used to having to read to do well in classes since I was an English major as an undergrad. Many (in fact most) of my professors in that program would intentionally include exam questions that you would only know the answers to if you had read the book. I had several professors who expected you to basically teach yourself everything from the book and would just use lecture as a time for us to discuss concepts from the reading that we found interesting and such.

I stopped reading the book for chemistry because, about halfway into the semester, the book began including more and more content that was beyond the scope of what we needed for the class. However, I'm too much in the habit of using resources outside of lecture notes while I study, so now I watch review videos on YouTube while I study. I don't think I could do well studying just from this professor's slides because they're a jumbled mess. He doesn't speak English very well. Seeking outside sources has saved my grade. I have a 99 average in the class, and much of the rest of the class is failing, including my lab partner whose father has a PhD in chemistry. Lecture notes aren't always enough for some classes, and that's okay.

I never took AP classes :X
Me neither. I'm assuming they were offered at my high school, but I never knew about them. :X I did take several honors courses, if that makes me less useless lol.

Lecture notes aren't always enough for some classes, and that's okay.

No argument there. I'm just saying on the whole, lecture slides are almost always enough. (coming from someone with a high GPA)

I had to crack some books, but very few. Maybe like 2 classes out of 120 credits. Excluding workbooks, etc.

lol @ buying books and AP classes. I went to a school with 130 people K-12. No AP classes. Eventually dropped out and just got the GED. I don't buy books for classes because they are too expensive and 9 times out of 10, they aren't necessary. If I can get A's in chemistry classes with basically zero high school education and no book, so can you. All it takes is self-discipline, proper motivation, and an internet connection.