I'm so lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyDDS1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have bunch of studying materials to prepare with for my test which is probably going to be in end of May.
But I'm pretty much all over the place with my schedule and have no idea how to set my schedule up for the test.

studying materials I have are:

Math: Chad + DAT destroyer math section, bootcamp
RC: kaplan blue, bootcamp and just reading bunch of articles to increase my RC ability.
ochem: DAT destroyer, chad, bootcamp
gchem: DAT destroyer, chad, bootcamp
BIO: cliff's ap bio 3rd, DAT destroyer, bootcamp
PAT: CDP and bootcamp.

I've been studying for chemistries and QR recently and a little bit of PAT and bio.
But I'm really all over the place and have no idea how to study them in order.
Any efficient way of studying all of them by end of May?
I know this is stupid question but I'm just not sure if I'm going the right direction.

I'll take any suggestions.

Also, are those materials enough for studying? My GPA isn't great so I'm aiming for 21+ on DAT.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Setting up a good study schedule/habit is half the exam in my opinion.
I mentioned this on another post before, but I love using Google Calendar. I filled in timeslots with a subject and made sure that all the topics were covered through out the week. You can even color code each subject and make it easier to see.

-----------------------
As for the order of materials to cover:

GC/OC: Finish Chad's first and take good notes/make flashcards. Go through the quizzes after each video and then take all the quizzes in one sitting a week or two later to test yourself. Then start taking bootcamp tests and check which areas could use more work.

BIO: I would try to get through cliff's and the doing questions after each section. Then skim through Feralis notes and picking up on new information. Then take Bootcamp tests.

Destroyer: You should tackle this only after you feel very confident in your knowledge of the science sections. This will be challenging and some questions will be too complicated and waste your time. Be smart and spend your time wisely on this. Don't waste 20+ minutes on a question and DON'T lose confidence! It's my strong belief that destroyer is just a waste of time, but that's a whole different discussion.
-----------------------

I studied only two sciences per day (usually Bio+ either GC or OC)
I alternated between PAT test or Math test every day.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh and I would recommend taking the ADA 2007 right after you get through all of your Chad's and Cliffs/Feralis Notes. I would take the paper version of the 2009 ADA after you've gone through all the Bootcamp tests.

Reactions: 1 user
Cliff's AP Bio is fantastic (much better, I think, than Barron's, which seems friendlier because of its pictures but has far less crisp, on point text). However, I would definitely supplement with Feralis notes -- if nothing else -- then just for the section on physiology. Cliff's AP Bio is quite weak in this area, sometimes altogether omitting certain bodily systems like bones! Another option is to use the biology destroyer as a study guide for physiology, but going through the destroyer problems without first combing through Feralis's physiology section will make many of the questions seem "far too detailed" and random.

Also, for the biology section, I would strongly recommend making note cards. This is coming from someone who has never liked, nor used, note cards before. At first, I believed I would be able to contain all the new knowledge I learned using just my brain alone. How wrong I was! Biology on the DAT is about "breadth over depth" and the sheer volume of new vocabulary words you will pick up along the way is monumental. You will forget, over your months or even weeks of studying, so note cards (either hand-written or via phone) are essential! Further, as you will have so much stuff to memorize already, I recommend anchoring as much information as possible to mnemonics; make them yourself, make them unique, and you will find you retain them much better! Mnemonics can be a fantastic tool for near guaranteeing that you won't forget a small subset of essential terms, come test day.

Lastly, but very importantly, remember that "there is no such thing as overstudying for biology"!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Could you read my thread, please?

You have more than enough materials to study, just gotta utilize them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cliff's AP Bio is fantastic (much better, I think, than Barron's, which seems friendlier because of its pictures but has far less crisp, on point text). However, I would definitely supplement with Feralis notes -- if nothing else -- then just for the section on physiology. Cliff's AP Bio is quite weak in this area, sometimes altogether omitting certain bodily systems like bones! Another option is to use the biology destroyer as a study guide for physiology, but going through the destroyer problems without first combing through Feralis's physiology section will make many of the questions seem "far too detailed" and random.

Also, for the biology section, I would strongly recommend making note cards. This is coming from someone who has never liked, nor used, note cards before. At first, I believed I would be able to contain all the new knowledge I learned using just my brain alone. How wrong I was! Biology on the DAT is about "breadth over depth" and the sheer volume of new vocabulary words you will pick up along the way is monumental. You will forget, over your months or even weeks of studying, so note cards (either hand-written or via phone) are essential! Further, as you will have so much stuff to memorize already, I recommend anchoring as much information as possible to mnemonics; make them yourself, make them unique, and you will find you retain them much better! Mnemonics can be a fantastic tool for near-guaranteeing that you won't forget a small subset of essential terms, come test day.

Lastly, but very importantly, remember that "there is no such thing as overstudying for biology"!
I'm in the same shoes as sexylife. I'm kind of freaking out over the study materials. I'm using Cliff's Biology now,and I see people talking about some chapters being too specific and some chapters missing important info. I'm a Chem major so I don't really know where to draw the line as being sufficient and non sufficient. Also when I take the practice tests I freak out too. I become really nervous because of nothing!! I remember taking the Gen Bio 101/102 tests, I didn't usually feel this way, if not at all. Did you take the DAT? How would you describe the wording and question style of DAT Bio compared to Gen Bio tests? Different approach? or about the same? Thank you in advance

I'm in the same shoes as sexylife. I'm kind of freaking out over the study materials. I'm using Cliff's Biology now,and I see people talking about some chapters being too specific and some chapters missing important info. I'm a Chem major so I don't really know where to draw the line as being sufficient and non sufficient. Also when I take the practice tests I freak out too. I become really nervous because of nothing!! I remember taking the Gen Bio 101/102 tests, I didn't usually feel this way, if not at all. Did you take the DAT? How would you describe the wording and question style of DAT Bio compared to Gen Bio tests? Different approach? or about the same? Thank you in advance

First of all, no I haven't taken the DAT yet, but I'm about to!

Second, don't freak out! I remember that I was scared as well when I began. If you are overwhelmed, leverage the power of the masses and focus on just two materials that almost all people (who've used them) on SDN have praised: Cliffs and Feralis notes. If you've downloaded Feralis before, it might at first seem ridiculous! All this, to review!? However, read through Cliffs first and you will quickly discover that Feralis notes are very closely based off of Cliffs! In fact, most chapters have large sections that are taken word for word from Cliffs, with just a couple of supplemental facts from other sources, such as practice tests, thrown in. In other words, think of Feralis notes as the "computer version" of Cliffs, but with a much expanded physiology section! The combination of these two texts is a powerful option for review.

Next, for practice, two test services that have been extremely well received for biology are DATQVault Bio and DAT Bootcamp. I've gone through almost all of the tests in these two programs and they are very good. It is important to not begin taking these tests until you've built up a solid foundation of knowledge (in other words, do not use up too many of your tests until after reviewing). To address your question, your general biology classes in college should almost certainly be much more advanced than what the DAT tests on; I recall in my biology classes that our teachers loved to drill deep into specific topics, wherein we learned all about various specific, specific details. In contrast, the DAT is basic; it is much likelier to test you on, for instance, the general function of ribosomes than about all the individual pieces that make up the "large subunit".

Last of all, I feel like it's important that I mention this: studying for the DAT works most fluidly when you have a solid understanding of how you learn. Do not be distressed by what other people on SDN say they do for review. For example, some people have mentioned reading through Cliffs, for the first time, in "a week" (I've heard even less). Perhaps this person has a much stronger background, or has used Cliffs in high school. Who knows? Plan your own pace and work steadily towards your own, personal goals. This advice can be extended for the other two science sections as well. In the end, you want to feel as though you've done everything you possibly can to do your best on this test. Aim to take the DAT without regret and you should do fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Setting up a good study schedule/habit is half the exam in my opinion.
I mentioned this on another post before, but I love using Google Calendar. I filled in timeslots with a subject and made sure that all the topics were covered through out the week. You can even color code each subject and make it easier to see.

-----------------------
As for the order of materials to cover:

GC/OC: Finish Chad's first and take good notes/make flashcards. Go through the quizzes after each video and then take all the quizzes in one sitting a week or two later to test yourself. Then start taking bootcamp tests and check which areas could use more work.

BIO: I would try to get through cliff's and the doing questions after each section. Then skim through Feralis notes and picking up on new information. Then take Bootcamp tests.

Destroyer: You should tackle this only after you feel very confident in your knowledge of the science sections. This will be challenging and some questions will be too complicated and waste your time. Be smart and spend your time wisely on this. Don't waste 20+ minutes on a question and DON'T lose confidence! It's my strong belief that destroyer is just a waste of time, but that's a whole different discussion.
-----------------------

I studied only two sciences per day (usually Bio+ either GC or OC)
I alternated between PAT test or Math test every day.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh and I would recommend taking the ADA 2007 right after you get through all of your Chad's and Cliffs/Feralis Notes. I would take the paper version of the 2009 ADA after you've gone through all the Bootcamp tests.

Where can I get the Feralis notes? Is it something that is free to download?

First of all, no I haven't taken the DAT yet, but I'm about to!

Second, don't freak out! I remember that I was scared as well when I began. If you are overwhelmed, leverage the power of the masses and focus on just two materials that almost all people (who've used them) on SDN have praised: Cliffs and Feralis notes. If you've downloaded Feralis before, it might at first seem ridiculous! All this, to review!? However, read through Cliffs first and you will quickly discover that Feralis notes are very closely based off of Cliffs! In fact, most chapters have large sections that are taken word for word from Cliffs, with just a couple of supplemental facts from other sources, such as practice tests, thrown in. In other words, think of Feralis notes as the "computer version" of Cliffs, but with a much expanded physiology section! The combination of these two texts is a powerful option for review.

Next, for practice, two test services that have been extremely well received for biology are DATQVault Bio and DAT Bootcamp. I've gone through almost all of the tests in these two programs and they are very good. It is important to not begin taking these tests until you've built up a solid foundation of knowledge (in other words, do not use up too many of your tests until after reviewing). To address your question, your general biology classes in college should almost certainly be much more advanced than what the DAT tests on; I recall in my biology classes that our teachers loved to drill deep into specific topics, wherein we learned all about various specific, specific details. In contrast, the DAT is basic; it is much likelier to test you on, for instance, the general function of ribosomes than about all the individual pieces that make up the "large subunit".

Last of all, I feel like it's important that I mention this: studying for the DAT works most fluidly when you have a solid understanding of how you learn. Do not be distressed by what other people on SDN say they do for review. For example, some people have mentioned reading through Cliffs, for the first time, in "a week" (I've heard even less). Perhaps this person has a much stronger background, or has used Cliffs in high school. Who knows? Plan your own pace and work steadily towards your own, personal goals. This advice can be extended for the other two science sections as well. In the end, you want to feel as though you've done everything you possibly can to do your best on this test. Aim to take the DAT without regret and you should do fine.
Great point! I'm trying to remember every word in Cliff's Bio. I am really eager to see how well I am doing. Yes you're so right about practicing after solid foundation of knowledge. There is no reason to cry over scoring badly on areas I didn't cover.
When are you taking the test? Let me know how it goes:) I get the feeling that you'll do very well. Best wishes to you!

Great point! I'm trying to remember every word in Cliff's Bio. I am really eager to see how well I am doing. Yes you're so right about practicing after solid foundation of knowledge. There is no reason to cry over scoring badly on areas I didn't cover.
When are you taking the test? Let me know how it goes:) I get the feeling that you'll do very well. Best wishes to you!
Oops... Sorry lol.

OP: If it were me, I would take two practice exams (topscore probably) and see what areas you need to focus on the most, and then spend an hour or two making a study schedule catering to these areas for the next few weeks. Take another practice exam, rinse and repeat till you are strong in all areas.

Could you read my thread, please? You have more than enough materials to study, just gotta utilize them.

Lol, could you read the OP again? They were not asking about what materials to use, since they already have plenty. They were asking the best approach, IE a streamlining process or a plan of attack while using them. Just thought your post was funny ;)

Good program. You might be overspending though. If you have Kaplan, you may not need boot camp as well. Destroyer, Kaplan and Chads are enough.

Good program. You might be overspending though. If you have Kaplan, you may not need boot camp as well. Destroyer, Kaplan and Chads are enough.

Since the test is computerized I just wanted to practice with a software so I can get used to them instead of practicing with the sample test on the paper.

Of you got Destroyer, Odyssey, Kaplan, Cliffs and CrackDAT that is all you need. They have plenty of practise material with solutions.