I’m thinking of taking a gap year, should I do post- bacc? (3.5+ GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSONG_324

Reaction score
Hi, I hope everyone’s doing well.

I’m a senior who’s about to graduate in May. I planned to apply this upcoming cycle, but I don’t think I’m ready yet.

Here’s my stats/situation:
  • I’m a bio major.
  • Overall gpa 3.59, science gpa 3.42
  • I’m taking DAT in May.
  • 100 hours of shadowing (I was supposed to be shadowing until May, but I’m no longer able to do so) **my no.1 school recommends 300+ hours of shadowing**
  • 150+ hours of volunteering (non-dental related)
  • 50 hours of volunteering (dental-related)
  • No research experience
  • No leadership experience (I’m a mentor at an elementary school, but I’m not sure if I could count this as leadership)
Nothing really stands out from my application, so I’m considering taking another gap year. But I’m not too sure what I should do. Right now, I’m planning on doing more dental-related activities and maybe doing research. I’m also thinking of pushing back DAT if I’m not applying this cycle.

Honestly, I’m not too interested in post-bacc or SMP because of the cost. Does post-bacc help you become a stronger candidate?

I don’t know why the post got so long, but my questions are:

1) Is it worth doing post-bacc or SMP with 3.5+ GPA?
2) Would it look bad if I take a gap year without a good reason?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. You don't need postbac or SMP with your GPA.

2. If you're taking the year off to gain more experience, isn't that a good reason?

I would recommend applying, unless you're really gunning for your top choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I hope everyone’s doing well.

I’m a senior who’s about to graduate in May. I planned to apply this upcoming cycle, but I don’t think I’m ready yet.

Here’s my stats/situation:
  • I’m a bio major.
  • Overall gpa 3.59, science gpa 3.42
  • I’m taking DAT in May.
  • 100 hours of shadowing (I was supposed to be shadowing until May, but I’m no longer able to do so) **my no.1 school recommends 300+ hours of shadowing**
  • 150+ hours of volunteering (non-dental related)
  • 50 hours of volunteering (dental-related)
  • No research experience
  • No leadership experience (I’m a mentor at an elementary school, but I’m not sure if I could count this as leadership)
Nothing really stands out from my application, so I’m considering taking another gap year. But I’m not too sure what I should do. Right now, I’m planning on doing more dental-related activities and maybe doing research. I’m also thinking of pushing back DAT if I’m not applying this cycle.

Honestly, I’m not too interested in post-bacc or SMP because of the cost. Does post-bacc help you become a stronger candidate?

I don’t know why the post got so long, but my questions are:

1) Is it worth doing post-bacc or SMP with 3.5+ GPA?
2) Would it look bad if I take a gap year without a good reason?

Thanks!

Hey! To answer your questions:
1) No, you don't need to do a post-bac or an SMP with a 3.5+ GPA. Your GPA is good enough to get a few interviews. Save that money!
2) There is nothing wrong with taking a gap year! Some people, like myself, take a gap year to gain dental experience, work, and apply to school. Other people spend it to travel and volunteer. Others spend it just relaxing and practicing self-care. It doesn't really matter as long as you can talk about it in your applications/interviews.

All I would advise you to do is to continue to shadow and volunteer in dental and non-dental related events when you can. Also, get involved in something you're passionate about and can put on your application and kill your personal statement. Show admissions why you're special and would fit in at their school.