I'm verified. Haven't sent in secondaries. Is it too late to send some in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnwilmot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.4 undergrad gpa, 3.8 in an smp, and 512 MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

It is pretty late to send some in. You can try, but with that MCAT score, you might get in somewhere. You've closed doors to many schools though. If I were you, I'd wait and apply next cycle.

With that MCAT, anything is possible. I would go ahead and do it to all schools, if money isn't a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd love to get into western in pomona, ca. What do you think??

I'd love to get into western in pomona, ca. What do you think??

I suggest you skip and apply at full strength June 1st. Did you even get their secondary yet? Some have reported receiving it upwards of 3-4 weeks post verification. They specifically state that those with Jan MCATs should probably not apply and I'm guessing that pertains to someone whose file is ready for review minus the new score.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a 3.4 undergrad gpa, 3.8 in an smp, and 512 MCAT.
Have you shadowed a DO before? Do you have a LOR? COMP is big on OMM. I suspect the MD reject scent you emanate will not bode well for you this cycle.

How has your MD cycle been going? Those stats are certainly enough to generate interest from those schools with the right list.

How has your MD cycle been going? Those stats are certainly enough to generate interest from those schools with the right list.
No MD interviews yet. Aside from sackler

Last edited:
Have you shadowed a DO before? Do you have a LOR? COMP is big on OMM. I suspect the MD reject scent you emanate will not bode well for you this cycle.
Shadowed 2 MDs. Will start shadowing a DO this coming week.

Shadowed 2 MDs. Will start shadowing a DO this coming week.

I added a couple DOs just before the holidays, but called their offices beforehand and posed the "too late" question to them. All 3 said though it was later, they interview into April and with my stats I should be encouraged to get a later II. Now, whether they just wanted my money is one thing, but your stats are slightly better than mine.

You just don't want to be in a position where you chose a mid/low-tier DO school as opposed to a solid MD or DO by just waiting and applying June 1. Try to stay objective.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've already submitted primary apps to DO schools, I would say to submit those secondaries. I overlooked this little detail.

No matter what, you're a reapplicant anyways, if you don't mind throwing some money for some secondaries.

@Goro might tell you to send one to his school in an enthusiastic tone. Keep in mind, however that on the off chance of you being a reapplicant, you need to do a lot more work since PS needs to be new, among other things that must be rewritten to show how you have improved from a failed cycle.

IMO wait next cycle and apply broadly to MD and DO.

Ask yourself this, apply now and have an outside hot at LUCOM? Or apply first day next cycle and have 5+ acceptances by December to great DO programs? IMO this is what you are looking at

@Goro might tell you to send one to his school in an enthusiastic tone. Keep in mind, however that on the off chance of you being a reapplicant, you need to do a lot more work since PS needs to be new, among other things that must be rewritten to show how you have improved from a failed cycle.

IMO wait next cycle and apply broadly to MD and DO.

The thing is, he is already a reapplicant if he's already chosen to send the primaries to these schools.

He's already got to do what you've said regardless. That's why he should send secondaries to some schools and hope he has a shot. The worst case scenario is that he loses a couple hundred dollars applying to schools.

The thing is, he is already a reapplicant if he's already chosen to send the primaries to these schools.

He's already got to do what you've said regardless. That's why he should send secondaries to some schools and hope he has a shot. The worst case scenario is that he loses a couple hundred dollars applying to schools.
Exactly what I was thinking. If your primary is in might as well go for it. If it's just verified and at 1 school hold back.

For a new/lower-tier DO school? No
For a top DO school? Most likely

I would wait for the next cycle, it's not worth the risk. You've put a lot of effort into your application, don't rush things.

No MD interviews yet. Aside from sackler

Nice, I also interviewed there. How did it go? Also did they tell you when decisions would be sent out?(I forgot to ask at my interview). Looking at last year's thread they were sent out much earlier than what they say on their website, so I am hoping for the same this year.

As for DO schools, I would find out what schools started interviewing later in the cycle and target those. I think Tuoro-NY is one. Dont apply to other programs though. This way you have a fighting shot at getting in this cycle, but if you dont there are still a ton of places where you are a first time applicant.

I called western. The very kind lady said they interview through march. They interview twice a month and still have february and march dates available. She said that while I may not be as competitive, it's not prohibitively late, especially with my stats.

I also know two clinical instructors there who I will soon start shadowing and I hope to get letters of recommendations from them (both DO's).

What do you think @Goro ?

Go for it, but just keep in mind that the later you interview, the pickier Adcoms get. However, if you're a good catch, even if you end up on the wait list, you might be placed very high on the wait list.

It will always be prudent to have Plan B ready and apply in the next cycle.

I called western. The very kind lady said they interview through march. They interview twice a month and still have february and march dates available. She said that while I may not be as competitive, it's not prohibitively late, especially with my stats.

I also know two clinical instructors there who I will soon start shadowing and I hope to get letters of recommendations from them (both DO's).

Reactions: 2 users
I think you should go for it, interviews continue into the spring.

Agreed. I made this assumption pretty much immediately once I saw OP's stats.

OP, if you can get a solid letter from DO you shadow, you might have a chance at newer schools or schools that don't fill up before February.

That would be great if you can do this. I can imagine you would have a solid chance at getting an II from Western.

I was in a similar situation with no MD IIs. Verified with AACOMAS late November, complete at 6 DO programs by early December. Already have 2 DO IIs at LECOM and UNECOM. cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.2, 31 MCAT

Western is pretty into the whole "I really want to go here and I'm putting my eggs in this basket because of (insert valid reason concerning OMT and shadowing at Western/ attending their preview day/ career conference specifically)". You are ALREADY a reapplicant for next year so you might as well go balls to the wall if you want Western.