IMG: 16 weeks USCE vs. 8 weeks USCE New York 12-week rule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anja21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a fifth year medical student at a medical school in Germany and I am currently torn regarding my last year electives: Due to the way our last year electives are set up I can do either 8 weeks or 16 weeks (nothing inbetween) of clinical electives in the US. Im planning on applying to pediatrics residency and considering the fact that
a) NY does not allow more than 12 weeks of clinical experience outside of my home country and
b) NY has 36 and thus the largest number of pediatric residency programs in the country
What would you advice for me to do?
option 1: do 16 weeks of electives = more USCE = better chances at residency programs overall but disqualified from NY state programs
option 2: do 8 weeks of electives = less USCE = poorer chances at residency programs overall but can apply in NY state.

Any advice, experiences or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

What did you choose?

Does anybody have any definitive information by the way?

I read the NY State law regarding this and it is in no way definitive (then again I'm not a lawyer).

To me, the actual law appears nowhere near as certain as the way some residency programs rephrase it.

EDIT: what I originally posted was wrong apparently

Last edited:
The rule states 12 weeks away from the country where your school is located. I think he is interpreting the rule correctly.

Chose neither unfortunately since international electives have been cancelled due to Covid... :(