IMG asking about medical residency in the UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahmad moq

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, Im about to graduate from Jordan this summer..
thinking alot about doing medical residency in the UK, some people advised me to go there

I don’t really know much about it..

I really wanna hear what do I have to do to come there, i know there are two exams, mcq and clinical one.. but i would like to know more about the exam and everything

And after im done with the exam, what then? Intern for one, two years? And how would i choose my speciality, what are the available speciality options for a foreign medical student like me? The ones I don’t have to wait too many years to get.. and other options just to be clear, and how about general surgery speciality there and its subs? How about the minors like ophthalmology?

And its okay to do one year internship in my country after graduation then come to the UK?

Then, the lifestyle and the outcome will it be enough to live there?
Please add whatever more info you find helpful too.. im really confused

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Lol. Deja Vu?
Sorry, can't help myself! You posted the exact same thing in the Australia forums, but just replaced UK with Australia.

In all seriousness though, where is it exactly you wish to go? Just any Western country in general?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
thinking alot about doing medical residency in the UK, some people advised me to go there

I really wanna hear what do I have to do to come there, i know there are two exams, mcq and clinical one.. but i would like to know more about the exam and everything

And after im done with the exam, what then? Intern for one, two years? And how would i choose my speciality, what are the available speciality options for a foreign medical student like me? The ones I don’t have to wait too many years to get.. and other options just to be clear, and how about general surgery speciality there and its subs? How about the minors like ophthalmology?

And its okay to do one year internship in my country after graduation then come to the UK?

Thanks in advance

Yeah, its not going to happen in the UK.

Lol. Deja Vu?
Sorry, can't help myself! You posted the exact same thing in the Australia forums, but just replaced UK with Australia.

In all seriousness though, where is it exactly you wish to go? Just any Western country in general?

Yeah i know haha
No just these two, that’s why i just copied and pasted the same post haha
Hoping i find something useful And get to know more info about these two countries

I know few things about Australia but i know nothing about the UK.. only what my mates say

Thanks in advance

Just request to join the PLAB group on facebook. You'll find everything u need to know about UK there. And going UK is achievable. First complete an internship year in ur country, during that year if possible take plab 1 and plab 2 exams (refer to GMC's website) and then apply for full registration in the UK. Once u have ur full registration u can then start working in UK doing something called non-training jobs for some time (depending on ur specialty of interest and how much u need to build ur CV) after which u apply for specialty training.
Keep in mind 2 things when considering the UK for training: 1) training could potentially be very lengthy 2) Ur visa status (in case ur a non UK non European applicant) puts u behind UK and European nationals in all ur applications (at least for now before Brexit, no one is sure what will happen after that) but the good thing (for IMGs at least) is that the UK is really short on doctors. There are helpful and detailed blogs out there including Naseer's Journey and Omar's Guidelines, just google them and read away. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users