IMG Family Medicine Applicants- Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where are IV from
PG County Community Hospital in MD and Suburban Community Hospital in PA. Both from September. Nothing in October so far.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
PG County Community Hospital in MD and Suburban Community Hospital in PA. Both from September. Nothing in October so far.

Awesome! I wasnt able to score an interview at Suburban!

If you guys are worried (it’s hard not to lol), email places you’re targeting in particular, especially those with lower scores that might not have been above their initial filters. (I got a 211 on step one, so i get it)

There’s still time and people will be dropping interviews as time goes on as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got a BUNCH of rejections since last week and this week- too many to mention!

Awesome! I wasnt able to score an interview at Suburban!

If you guys are worried (it’s hard not to lol), email places you’re targeting in particular, especially those with lower scores that might not have been above their initial filters. (I got a 211 on step one, so i get it)

There’s still time and people will be dropping interviews as time goes on as well.

hey sup I remember your name/prof pic from when you had back-and-forth "debates" with Calipremed when I was creeping on some random threads a while back lol! what a character that guy was.

I have 7 interviews thus far. Thinking about sending LOIs over the weekend to programs that have already sent out a considerable number of interviews. I have not applied to certain states like NY and California so I am uneasy about my no. Of interviews. Thoughts?

I have 7 interviews thus far. Thinking about sending LOIs over the weekend to programs that have already sent out a considerable number of interviews. I have not applied to certain states like NY and California so I am uneasy about my no. Of interviews. Thoughts?
I think your interview number is great and it’s still early, if you wanted to snag like 3 more interiews I would send out LOIs later mid month since if you read the post from PDs they don’t like emails too soon since they’re also really busy. You’re really lucky to have so many already! Good work! I thinks it’s obvious you’ll do well

I think your interview number is great and it’s still early, if you wanted to snag like 3 more interiews I would send out LOIs later mid month since if you read the post from PDs they don’t like emails too soon since they’re also really busy. You’re really lucky to have so many already! Good work! I thinks it’s obvious you’ll do well
Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement

Last edited:
just got an email and it says that they have sent the Ivs and if anything changes in the future, then they are going to revisit applications and it may change the status of my application. So, it's not a rejection, right? I may get IV from them? right?

just got an email and it says that they have sent the Ivs and if anything changes in the future, then they are going to revisit applications and it may change the status of my application. So, it's not a rejection, right? I may get IV from them? right?
Was it from st. Francis?
I got the same and it is pretty much a rejection....at the bottom says good luck with match...a nice rejection

Was it from st. Francis?
I got the same and it is pretty much a rejection....at the bottom says good luck with match...a nice rejection
I also got it. It was a polite rejection...

Members don't see this ad :)
HI guys,

I`m Non-US IMG from caribbean medical school
Step 1: 22x (1st attempt)
Step 2: 21x (1st attempt)
CS: Pass
YOG: end of this year
Programs Applied : 207

Rejections: St Francis, Hennepin, U of Connecticut, Tuscaloosa, Texas Tech (amarillo), Bayfront,
IV: none

May I know your score and LORs? Getting 7 IVs is really good for matching to FM
I already took step 1 and CK in this year. I will take CS in December and work on LORs and Personal statement later on. Applying for next cycle

May I know your score and LORs? Getting 7 IVs is really good for matching to FM
I already took step 1 and CK in this year. I will take CS in December and work on LORs and Personal statement later on. Applying for next cycle
25x in both. CS first pass. No LORs in FM. Non-US but don't require visa.

congratulations on prince George inv... got an invite for mercy health Illinois today in rockford
Not sure about the residency, but Mercy hospital treats its physicians like tools and has a high turnover. If you have plenty of other invites, I'd avoid this one...

Not sure about the residency, but Mercy hospital treats its physicians like tools and has a high turnover. If you have plenty of other invites, I'd avoid this one...

Thanks for the heads up .... I do have other invites . Just got one from Williston in North Dakota

Thanks for the heads up .... I do have other invites . Just got one from Williston in North Dakota
I also got an interview for Williston, ND! Did you schedule yours yet?!
It’s rural and only 2 spots

+1 LSU/Shreveport !

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hi does anyone know much about Pontiac General FM/ Oakland physician's family medicine residenct program?

Hi does anyone know much about Pontiac General FM/ Oakland physician's family medicine residenct program?

Yup they are out of match . They do interviews super late like January February . They have good substance abuse program and the pD actually is very knowledgeable and cares. I did my rotation there I really like d it .

US-IMG (Caribbean top 5)
Graduated August 2019
Step 1 219 1st attempt
Step 2 CK 214 1st attempt
Step 2 CS Pass 2nd attempt
4 LORs (2 FM, IM dept chair, Neuro)
+++Research/ ++++++Volunteering

Applied 134 FM programs

2 Interviews
3 Rejections (St Francis, West Suburban, Cox)
2 Acknowledgements (Riverside UCR, Valley Const.)

US-IMG (Caribbean top 5)
Graduated August 2019
Step 1 219 1st attempt
Step 2 CK 214 1st attempt
Step 2 CS Pass 2nd attempt
4 LORs (2 FM, IM dept chair, Neuro)
+++Research/ ++++++Volunteering

Applied 134 FM programs

2 Interviews
3 Rejections (St Francis, West Suburban, Cox)
2 Acknowledgements (Riverside UCR, Valley Const.)

wow i already was rejected form UCR ... I say you doing pretty well.

definitely not the best thread to ask this, but does anyone know about the prospects of working as a hospitalist with an FM board cert. ? can you find positions in big cities.

Yup they are out of match . They do interviews super late like January February . They have good substance abuse program and the pD actually is very knowledgeable and cares. I did my rotation there I really like d it .
thanks :) yeah they have a good substance abuse program....

Thank. What about the psych department ? did u rotate there? are there good psych faculty and facilities --- the reason i ask is because i hae an interview offer from psych pontiac..

Thank. What about the psych department ? did u rotate there? are there good psych faculty and facilities --- the reason i ask is because i hae an interview offer from psych pontiac..
They just opened the psych residency and no I didn’t have much experience in the psych part So no clue

definitely not the best thread to ask this, but does anyone know about the prospects of working as a hospitalist with an FM board cert. ? can you find positions in big cities.

My friend right now looking for jobs . The issue is lot of these hospital have procedural requirements for family med and they still believe IM is better than FM. It will be hard to find a job in urban big city but it will be super easy to find job in underserved areas . In summary fm hospitalist mainly underserved hospitals and Im hospitalist anywhere you want. You can also Do hospitalist fellowship to maybe get those procedural skills .

Reactions: 1 users
how did you apply to the psych program? it was not on ERAS

No IVs
8 Rejections

Step1: 20*
Ck:21*
Step 3 Dec
All first attempts
One research
No need for Visa
YOG:2013
Applied 146 programs
Very worried

No IVs
8 Rejections

Step1: 20*
Ck:21*
Step 3 Dec
All first attempts
One research
No need for Visa
YOG:2013
Applied 146 programs
Very worried
I think it’s the YOG that may be hurting you. I am assuming that the programs you applied to do not have graduation cut off...did you check that? You need to apply to more and research all FM programs that don’t have any YOG cut offs and contact them

I think it’s the YOG that may be hurting you. I am assuming that the programs you applied to do not have graduation cut off...did you check that? You need to apply to more and research all FM programs that don’t have any YOG cut offs and contact them
Thanks for you advice.
I’ll try contacting the programs . Just that some people say it may end up hurting your application which was why I’m yet to send LOI...

Hopping in
Non-US IMG
Step1 260
Step2 CK 267
CS pass, all first attempt
YOG 2018
Applied to 93 programs

only 1 interview, 6 rejections (most of them do not sponsor visas)

Should I be reaching out?

Hopping in
Non-US IMG
Step1 260
Step2 CK 267
CS pass, all first attempt
YOG 2018
Applied to 93 programs

only 1 interview, 6 rejections (most of them do not sponsor visas)

Should I be reaching out?
With those stats...all I’m thinking is that you are strong IM candidate...
I hope you applied to IM as well...
A lot of FM programs don’t sponsor visas but plenty of IM programs do..

With those stats...all I’m thinking is that you are strong IM candidate...
I hope you applied to IM as well...
A lot of FM programs don’t sponsor visas but plenty of IM programs do..
Yeah I figured, I haven’t really applied to IM because I have a career path build around FM and wouldn’t be possible another way, although it should be easier to match for FM, ironic!

Yeah I figured, I haven’t really applied to IM because I have a career path build around FM and wouldn’t be possible another way, although it should be easier to match for FM, ironic!

For some reason, although FM has lower scores, the number of non-US IMGs that FM takes is a LOT fewer than IM. For IM it is around 2000, while it is only around 250 for FM. Even accounting for differences in the total number of positions, that is a huge discrepancy. But your scores are excellent and I am sure you have good USCE and if you applied broadly you should certainly get a good number of interviews. Be sure to send LOIs to programs specifying what career path you envision for yourself, your scores and how those programs can help you achieve your vision. Your scores are very high and you don't want programs to think they're your backup. My scores lower than yours (25x) but I have had people comment on them during my interviews so I am sure yours stand out even more.