IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - 2022 Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charles34

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, doctors. After reading through the 2020 and 2021 IMG IM Match threads, I realized this season hadn't been inaugurated with a thread yet.

I'll be applying for the 2023 Match, but I wanted to get some experience from this season in order to be more versed and experienced once next year rolls around. I'm a US-IMG, not Caribbean, who graduated a few months ago. Mmm... what else? I have two months of hands-on USCE for now, a few manuscripts submitted so I hope to have a few publications in the next couple of months, and I'm preparing for Step 1 at the moment.

Please share as much of your credentials/information/tips as you're comfortable with.

I'll also throw it out there that it seems interviews will be virtual again this season. Some programs have already confirmed it and others haven't updated their websites for this season yet, but it seems to be trending that way.

Anyway, welcome and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Was looking for this thread
Non-US IMG, YOG 2018, step 1 - 232; step 2- 247; ECFMG certified through OET; 3 US LORs but through observerships :(
Pray for me :D
Was thinking about the best strategy to tackle supplemental application. What do you think about listing state/division preferences?
Obviously, I don't have a luxury to care where I match and I don't want to limit potential interviews, but on the other hand I think it would increase my chances to receive an interview from a listed US geographical division.
Same concerns about signaling 5 programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello. I have followed this thread for a couple years and excited to finally have my time!

US-IMG, YOG 2019, Step 1 - 229; Step 2- 244; ECFMG certified through OET; USCE: 6+ months; Research: 2 years (10 poster/oral presentations and 2 published manuscripts); 3 US LORs and 1 home LOR (Department chair).

Hoping for a good cycle, good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Repeat IM applicant here, failed to match with 6 interviews (1 was prematch) last year. Boiled down to bad interview performance, anxiety, underpreparedness. And I had no USCE last year with YOG 2016. ECFMG certified 3 days after deadline.

This year managed to get 3 months of USCE and knocked off Step 3 too.

Non-US IMG, YOG 2016, Step 1 - 259, Step 2 - 257, Step 3 - 241, OET: passed. ECFMG via Pathway 1. 5 years home country experience in IM, 3 months USCE with 4 US LORs. 2 papers published.

At this point, I just want to match. Looking for interview practice partners here. All the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Repeat IM applicant here, failed to match with 6 interviews (1 was prematch) last year. Boiled down to bad interview performance, anxiety, underpreparedness. And I had no USCE last year with YOG 2016. ECFMG certified 3 days after deadline.

This year managed to get 3 months of USCE and knocked off Step 3 too.

Non-US IMG, YOG 2016, Step 1 - 259, Step 2 - 257, Step 3 - 241, OET: passed. ECFMG via Pathway 1. 5 years home country experience in IM, 3 months USCE with 4 US LORs. 2 papers published.

At this point, I just want to match. Looking for interview practice partners here. All the best.
Hi. How did u get ucse not being a student but being graduated. Might be dumb question lol

There are many types of USCE to begin with. What's restricted to medical students is Electives. This is the best form of USCE and most valued by PDs. Ofc electives are off limit to graduates.

Old graduates like me can only opt for Observerships, Externships, or Post-graduate subinternship. Then again this will not be valued as high as an elective done at Ivy league institution.

Just my take on this. Ofc others can add on too.
Hi. How did u get ucse not being a student but being graduated. Might be dumb question lol

Am I better off using a department chair letter, or a US clinician letter, for programs which don't specifically request the department chair letter?

My stats:
YoG 2019, non-US IMG
Step 1: 24x
Step2CK: 26x
Step 2 CS passed first attempt
Step3: 23x
USCE: 9 months
Research: 6 pubs, similar number of posters
Letters: 4 US clinician letters, 1 Department Chair Letter.

Best of luck everyone!

Non-US IMG from Germany here, currently in residency training for IM and cardiology in Munich, Germany.

My stats:
- YOG: 2020
- Step 1: 256
- Step 2: 246
- No USCE, but clinical experience in UK and Australia (anyone know if that can be substitute?)
- Research: 2 pubs, 4 posters
- 3 LOR (1 from Germany, 1 from Department chair in Australia, 1 from research experience in US)

So far 80 programs on my list (all of whom say to sponsor H1B visa, as I would prefer this visa). Was wondering if that is enough programs to apply to, or if you would suggest putting more programs onto the list?

Good luck in the upcoming season for everyone!

Non-US IMG from Germany here, currently in residency training for IM and cardiology in Munich, Germany.

My stats:
- No USCE, but clinical experience in UK and Australia (anyone know if that can be substitute?)
- 3 LOR (1 from Germany, 1 from Department chair in Australia, 1 from research experience in US)

So far 80 programs on my list (all of whom say to sponsor H1B visa, as I would prefer this visa). Was wondering if that is enough programs to apply to, or if you would suggest putting more programs onto the list?

The more interviews you get the better. So the more places you apply, the better the chance of achieving that goal.

ideally you want around 15-20 interviews… if you expect a 10% return, then applying to 150 to 200 programs would make sense.

you have a number of limitations… visa needing and you have limited yourself to just the h1b , no USCE ( no, they are not going to look at other countries as equivalent).

you can always be more selective if and when you get more that 15 iv, but harder to try to add more programs later in the season.

Last edited:
The more interviews you get the better. So the more places you apply, the better the chance of achieving that goal.

ideally you want around 15-20 interviews… if you expect a 10% return, then applying to 150 to 200 programs would make sense.

you have a number of limitations… visa needing and you have limited yourself to just the h1b , no USCE ( no, their are not going to look at other countries as equivalent).

you can always be more selective if and when you get more that 15 iv, but harder to try to add more programs later in the season.
Thanks for the fast answer. I guess I am gonna include a few more programs onto my list then.

My stats:

You will need to take and pass Step 3 before rank order day to qualify for H1 visa

Last edited by a moderator:
A
Am I better off using a department chair letter, or a US clinician letter, for programs which don't specifically request the department chair letter?

My stats:
YoG 2019, non-US IMG

Best of luck everyone!

Any thoughts on this? Department chair letter or a US Clinician Letter, for programs which don't specifically request the department chair letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I have followed this thread for a couple years and excited to finally have my time!

US-IMG, YOG 2019, Step 1 - 229; Step 2- 244; ECFMG certified through OET; USCE: 6+ months; Research: 2 years (10 poster/oral presentations and 2 published manuscripts); 3 US LORs and 1 home LOR (Department chair).

Hoping for a good cycle, good luck to everyone.
Officially submitted!

My stats:
YoG 2019, non-US IMG

Best of luck everyone!
Submitted!

No IV's. 2 acknowledgments from: Henry Ford Allegiance and Medstar/Georgetown.

1 acknowledgment from Medstar/Georgetown. No invites.

2 more acknowledgment from Adventist Helth White Memorial and Jacobi Medical Center. Also a future interest from Jacobi.

Acknowledgements from:
Dartmouth
U of Colorado
WashU/BJH
Mass Gen
UCLA Olive view
Beaumont Dearborne
Medstar Georgetown
University of Arizona Phoenix
University of Washington

US-IMG, second time applying. Applied to 130 programs, intending to add 30 more.

My stats:
- YOG: 2018
- Step 1: 245
- Step 2: 232
- 5 months USCE, a mix of inpatient and outpatient settings.
- No research
- 3 LORs from the US.

What are my chances and what can I do to improve.
Any feedback is welcome.

US-IMG, second time applying. Applied to 130 programs, intending to add 30 more.

My stats:
- YOG: 2018
- Step 1: 245
- Step 2: 232
- 5 months USCE, a mix of inpatient and outpatient settings.
- No research
- 3 LORs from the US.

What are my chances and what can I do to improve.
Any feedback is welcome.
Your profile look pretty good, good luck!

2 more acknowledgment from Adventist Helth White Memorial and Jacobi Medical Center. Also a future interest from Jacobi.
Hi, I am first time applicant. My CK is pending but applied anyways. I also received future interest email from jacobi/Einstein, any idea what they are looking for >Research ? My step 1 is pretty average..220. Did you hear back from them ?

Last edited:
Hi, I am first time applicant. My CK is pending but applied anyways. I also received future interest email from jacobi/Einstein, any idea what they are looking for >Research ? My step 1 is pretty average..220. Did you hear back from them ?
No idea what it means, my Step 1 is also on the lower side (229).

MS4 US IMG from the Caribbean Applying to IM and FM

My stats:
- Step 1: 22X
- Step 2: 209 (yes on the dot)
- Over 12 Months of USCE,
-4 LOR all giving solid testament from US community hospital physicians with University affiliation
-1 published Journal, 1 accepted journal, 2 submitted journals, and 2 oral presentations

Aside from my poor step scores I had a gap year in training due to financial constraints. No classes failed... Honestly, I was really downtrodden and almost didn't post my stats after seeing everyone's rockstars creds. I was intimidated...

However, I wanna remain optimistic, keep my head up and do everything I can to make sure I succeed.

So far, I have applied to over 300 IM programs with the aid of MAR, Residency List & Residency Explorer.

As of today, I've received several acknowledgments and no rejections or IVs.

MS4 US IMG from the Caribbean Applying to IM and FM

My stats:
- Step 1: 22X
- Step 2: 209 (yes on the dot)
- Over 12 Months of USCE,
-4 LOR all giving solid testament from US community hospital physicians with University affiliation
-1 published Journal, 1 accepted journal, 2 submitted journals, and 2 oral presentations

Aside from my poor step scores I had a gap year in training due to financial constraints. No classes failed... Honestly, I was really downtrodden and almost didn't post my stats after seeing everyone's rockstars creds. I was intimidated...

However, I wanna remain optimistic, keep my head up and do everything I can to make sure I succeed.

So far, I have applied to over 300 IM programs with the aid of MAR, Residency List & Residency Explorer.

As of today, I've received several acknowledgments and no rejections or IVs.
Different programs are going to focus on different things - you've got loads of USCE and a strong and active research background. Lots of programs are going to pick up on that! I'd also imagine 12+ months of USCE gives you lots of contacts you can follow up with for IV's

+ 1 IV Lincoln (I know the reputation, but as an IMG you gotta do what you gotta do)

Reactions: 3 users
Scores: Step 1: 215
Step 2CK : 243, Cs passed
step 3: 210. No attempts
Grad year: 2020
3 publications. Non-US IMG

2 IVs... Einstein Mont, St. Michael Jersey.

2 IVs - Mayo Arizona and Rochester General Hospital
1 Rejection - WakeMed

Just got my first rejection from Capital Health in NJ.... I guess I was filtered out by my low Step 2ck and not being ECFMG certified :(

Just got my first rejection from Capital Health in NJ.... I guess I was filtered out by my low Step 2ck and not being ECFMG certified :(
My step scores are not much different from you but I didn’t get rejection from capital health yet. I guess it is because I’m ecfmg certified. We have exactly similar profile except for my ecfmg certificate. If you can work on that to prevent other filter attack

My step scores are not much different from you but I didn’t get rejection from capital health yet. I guess it is because I’m ecfmg certified. We have exactly similar profile except for my ecfmg certificate. If you can work on that to prevent other filter attack
do you mind sharing your stats? I'm pathway approved, but can't be certified till I graduate