IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - 2022 Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was put "on hold" by Einstein Philly. Message clearly says that this is not a rejection, but is there any truth to it? Anyone had the same experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Has somebody received or known somebody who has received an IV or rejection from Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit?

Does anyone know how the Einstein-Jefferson merger will affect trainees wanting to match at Einstein?

Members don't see this ad :)
can someone give some advice on US IMG
step1 218
step 2 241
graduation December 2021. I finished OET waiting to take the last time.
No interviews yet. All rejections.

step1 218
step 2 241
How many programs did you apply to and where?

step1 218
step 2 241
Also being certified would help. Applying to smaller programs would increase your chances.

i applied around 200
Any red flags? Did you use Match a resident and res explorer? Please hang in there... It is a rough patch for a lot of us. While some folks are holding on to over 20 IVs a lot of us are struggling for a few... Also remember to pray and send LOIs.

Any red flags? Did you use Match a resident and res explorer? Please hang in there... It is a rough patch for a lot of us. While some folks are holding on to over 20 IVs a lot of us are struggling for a few... Also remember to pray and send LOIs.
no red flags, have 6 LORs. I finished OET last week. been going to the gym a lot, rejections hurt.

I still can't login to ERAS. It's annoying! I don't like calling them. I guess I have no choice now

Members don't see this ad :)
Non-US IMG from Germany here, currently in residency training for IM and cardiology in Munich, Germany.

My stats:
- YOG: 2020
- Step 1: 256
- Step 2: 246
- No USCE, but clinical experience in UK and Australia (anyone know if that can be substitute?)
- Research: 2 pubs, 4 posters
- 3 LOR (1 from Germany, 1 from Department chair in Australia, 1 from research experience in US)

So far 80 programs on my list (all of whom say to sponsor H1B visa, as I would prefer this visa). Was wondering if that is enough programs to apply to, or if you would suggest putting more programs onto the list?

Good luck in the upcoming season for everyone!
Hi , are you applying to the 2022 match? through what pathway did you apply? German Unis don't seem to be listed there. Perhaps you could help me figure this out. Thank you in advance!

visa requiring non USIMG step 1-236, step 2- 255, YOG 2020, 1 US LOR 2 home country LOR, ECFMG certified, and no interviews till now :(
anyone in the same boat?

visa requiring non USIMG step 1-236, step 2- 255, YOG 2020, 1 US LOR 2 home country LOR, ECFMG certified, and no interviews till now :(
anyone in the same boat?
I am. Step 1 -232, CK -247, YOG 2018, ECFMG certified, US LORs through observerships and 1 interview through a connection.

I am. Step 1 -232, CK -247, YOG 2018, ECFMG certified, US LORs through observerships and 1 interview through a connection.
If I had these stats, there is no way in God's green earth I will not have at least 15 IVs by now... Jeeze, it is so sad to see the HUGE diff having a green card or citizenship makes. Please don't give up... Keep pushing and sending LOIs it has worked for me on some of my IVs.

anyone in the same boat?
Unbelievable!! Sorry to hear that. Where do you locate now? Which specialty did you apply?

If I had these stats, there is no way in God's green earth I will not have at least 15 IVs by now... Jeeze, it is so sad to see the HUGE diff having a green card or citizenship makes. Please don't give up... Keep pushing and sending LOIs it has worked for me on some of my IVs.
Not sure why you would think that these stats would get so many ivs….no USCE, 2 years out, only one US LoR and decent bu not spectacular step scores… but yes, the visa requirement is a big issue

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure why you would think that these stats would get so many ivs….no USCE, 2 years out, only one US LoR and decent bu not spectacular step scores… but yes, the visa requirement is a big issue
I've seen people with even worse stats having so much IVs that they are contending in which to drop (you can peek into the IMG Applicant column on the internal medicine spread sheet) 😅. For a lot of programs, it's all about the scores and visa. Screw the talk about diversity and holistic reviews 😅🤣.

I've seen people with even worse stats having so much IVs that they are contending in which to drop (you can peek into the IMG Applicant column on the internal medicine spread sheet) 😅. For a lot of programs, it's all about the scores and visa. Screw the talk about diversity and holistic reviews 😅🤣.
Exactly I’m doing much better than them with much worse stats but again, 4 LORs from US, some from university medical centers. Having done my clinical rotations in the US might have helped. Overall multiple issues factor in influencing the decision programs take.

I am aware that I don't have a stellar resume, but 1 interview and even that through a connection( so basically 0), is a bit harsh. I put too much energy and money in this (as all of you I'm sure) to be this disappointed. Competition has become really hard.

It is not competition, it is over-application and no IV caps. It will surprise you that it is even some IMGs like us that are hoarding IVs... If there was an IV cap, you will see a lot of movement and IVs going out to more people, as those who reached their cap will either drop the one they already have or decline.... A recent IV I attended had 2 people absent for no reason, just imagine this space could have gone to someone else in need of it.

It is not competition, it is over-application and no IV caps. It will surprise you that it is even some IMGs like us that are hoarding IVs... If there was an IV cap, you will see a lot of movement and IVs going out to more people, as those who reached their cap will either drop the one they already have or decline.... A recent IV I attended had 2 people absent for no reason, just imagine this space could have gone to someone else in need of it.
Agree with this…ever since it became a click or a button to apply to places, people apply to huge numbers of programs… and then the programs have to sift through thousands of applications… making the need for a filter to exist… step scores, visa status/need become those filters… making it that people then have to apply to more programs …

Visa status and USCE make a big difference… places want to see letters from people they know… and if a program doesn’t deal with FMGs a lot, then don’t know anything about the school or the faculty writing letters.

Unbelievable!! Sorry to hear that. Where do you locate now? Which specialty did you apply?
i applied only in internal medicine, mostly community and a few mid-low tier university programs. I'm currently in India rn

I have received over 25 interviews. I applied to over 400 programs (categorial and primary care track, as well as psychiatry). A third of those invites are from university programs. The rest are a mix of university-affiliated and community programs.

This month I have a pre-match interview in medicine at a NYC community program. If I receive the offer, I will take it. Mainly for my own piece of mind. I have heard the stories about people who do not take a prematch, go into match and not getting their first choice, not even their 5th choice and I have heard of one person who didn't match at all after declining two prematch invites. I have also seen people match into programs far from their geographic location, ruining their personal relationships and all that in the process.

Should I go through the match, I can match somewhere for sure with the number of invites I received, but I also want to live in NYC and I want to be near my spouse. Cannot imagine living 3 years away from her should I match elsewhere.

Attending a Caribbean school was quite literally the worst decision of my life. I have worked very hard, put in the work to pump out the scores and the publications and all. It will take me 5 years to finish my education. Numerous setbacks, COVID, hurricanes and all that. I developed an anxiety disorder, sacrificed a lot of important family/personal moments, became out of touch with tons of friends, struggling to think about what kind of hobbies I can enjoy and so much more. Showing up to clinical rotations with a fake smile on, feigning all these positive and happy emotions, doing what I can to make connections with residents and attendings, and pretending to be super interested in every small thing they talk about from their own personal problems, their families, their pets, what they plan to do this weekend, all because so I can look more human to them and look more relatable.

I am tired of this grind. I gained a lot of weight and also lost a lot of weight. I am on a psychotropic medication, making time for CBT and now making time to become healthier. I feel burnt out, jaded, and disappointed. I want to feel excited with all these interview invites, but I have gone numb. I never imagined this is how I would feel from so many programs finding me a desirable candidate. Even if they do extend an invite, I have to continue putting on this act to look like the best candidate for them. I don't think I can continue playing this game.

Looking back, I wish I put in an extra year or two after undergrad to go to a USMD or DO school. I did all my research as well when I decided to apply out for the Caribbean. I told myself "it will go different for me" and "it can't really be that bad". It was by far the most humbling experiences of my life. You will learn a lot about yourself and what is in your control and what your limits are. If any premed student comes across this post, please don't hesitate to DM me for my personal experience (I rarely check SDN, but I will get back to you eventually).

Now I just want that security and peace of mind. The match process is grueling and I wish everyone good luck. By this Friday, I will have attended 7 interviews. I hope the prematch interview works out so I can withdraw from the remainder of my interviews so other applicants can snag those spots. I know from personal experience as a medical student how much work is required as a medicine resident at these NYC hospitals, and I believe I am very capable of biting this bullet for 3 years. I want to become a strong clinician capable of independent practice. I also want a career in medicine in NYC as well. Academia and all that is pointless for my career goals and what I find fulfilling in this short life.

If I decide to do fellowship down the line (unlikely), I know it would be another uphill battle for me if I were to train at one of these community hospitals in NYC. But if I can make it this far, I have enough trust in my ability to make it happen should fellowship make sense to me during my residency training. Maybe something outpatient-ish like endo or heme/onc is something in my future. That's something I will explore in my training.

Best of luck to all, and for those of you who are struggling to get interview invites, please send out letter of interests and call program coordinators as well. I have heard from 2 of my peers who snagged interview invites just by calling program coordinators, having a respectful conversation and the coordinator taking down their AAMC ID#s.

If you have yet to take step 3, or are sitting on some sort of abstract, or potential case report, get it done. Sending an abstract to any small conference still counts. Get this stuff in and update programs with letters of interests. Ask your letter writers, as well as any residents and attendings you had a chance to work with if they have any interesting cases they are sitting on that you can write an abstract or a proper manuscript on. That's how I beefed up my resume. I was also late by 2 days with 2 of my letters of recommendations also. You need to update programs and show your dedication and how you are working hard for it. Just having the scores, and some letters, and USCE is not enough to cut it anymore. Any serious applicant will have that already. You have to play the game completely.

Stay humble, stay honest, and work hard.
Ayudar

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I have received over 25 interviews. I applied to over 400 programs (categorial and primary care track, as well as psychiatry). A third of those invites are from university programs. The rest are a mix of university-affiliated and community programs.

This month I have a pre-match interview in medicine at a NYC community program. If I receive the offer, I will take it. Mainly for my own piece of mind. I have heard the stories about people who do not take a prematch, go into match and not getting their first choice, not even their 5th choice and I have heard of one person who didn't match at all after declining two prematch invites. I have also seen people match into programs far from their geographic location, ruining their personal relationships and all that in the process.

Should I go through the match, I can match somewhere for sure with the number of invites I received, but I also want to live in NYC and I want to be near my spouse. Cannot imagine living 3 years away from her should I match elsewhere.

Attending a Caribbean school was quite literally the worst decision of my life. I have worked very hard, put in the work to pump out the scores and the publications and all. It will take me 5 years to finish my education. Numerous setbacks, COVID, hurricanes and all that. I developed an anxiety disorder, sacrificed a lot of important family/personal moments, became out of touch with tons of friends, struggling to think about what kind of hobbies I can enjoy and so much more. Showing up to clinical rotations with a fake smile on, feigning all these positive and happy emotions, doing what I can to make connections with residents and attendings, and pretending to be super interested in every small thing they talk about from their own personal problems, their families, their pets, what they plan to do this weekend, all because so I can look more human to them and look more relatable.

I am tired of this grind. I gained a lot of weight and also lost a lot of weight. I am on a psychotropic medication, making time for CBT and now making time to become healthier. I feel burnt out, jaded, and disappointed. I want to feel excited with all these interview invites, but I have gone numb. I never imagined this is how I would feel from so many programs finding me a desirable candidate. Even if they do extend an invite, I have to continue putting on this act to look like the best candidate for them. I don't think I can continue playing this game.

Looking back, I wish I put in an extra year or two after undergrad to go to a USMD or DO school. I did all my research as well when I decided to apply out for the Caribbean. I told myself "it will go different for me" and "it can't really be that bad". It was by far the most humbling experiences of my life. You will learn a lot about yourself and what is in your control and what your limits are. If any premed student comes across this post, please don't hesitate to DM me for my personal experience (I rarely check SDN, but I will get back to you eventually).

Now I just want that security and peace of mind. The match process is grueling and I wish everyone good luck. By this Friday, I will have attended 7 interviews. I hope the prematch interview works out so I can withdraw from the remainder of my interviews so other applicants can snag those spots. I know from personal experience as a medical student how much work is required as a medicine resident at these NYC hospitals, and I believe I am very capable of biting this bullet for 3 years. I want to become a strong clinician capable of independent practice. I also want a career in medicine in NYC as well. Academia and all that is pointless for my career goals and what I find fulfilling in this short life.

If I decide to do fellowship down the line (unlikely), I know it would be another uphill battle for me if I were to train at one of these community hospitals in NYC. But if I can make it this far, I have enough trust in my ability to make it happen should fellowship make sense to me during my residency training. Maybe something outpatient-ish like endo or heme/onc is something in my future. That's something I will explore in my training.

Best of luck to all, and for those of you who are struggling to get interview invites, please send out letter of interests and call program coordinators as well. I have heard from 2 of my peers who snagged interview invites just by calling program coordinators, having a respectful conversation and the coordinator taking down their AAMC ID#s.

If you have yet to take step 3, or are sitting on some sort of abstract, or potential case report, get it done. Sending an abstract to any small conference still counts. Get this stuff in and update programs with letters of interests. Ask your letter writers, as well as any residents and attendings you had a chance to work with if they have any interesting cases they are sitting on that you can write an abstract or a proper manuscript on. That's how I beefed up my resume. I was also late by 2 days with 2 of my letters of recommendations also. You need to update programs and show your dedication and how you are working hard for it. Just having the scores, and some letters, and USCE is not enough to cut it anymore. Any serious applicant will have that already. You have to play the game completely.

Ayudar
Thanks for you input... Being an IMG will continually get harder as DO students can now take up spots since the merger. However, you have the scores and no visa req so definitely still aligns with our discourse. You can have the best publication in this part of the earth, but if you ain't got those scores, programs will think twice about inviting you.

Thanks for you input... Being an IMG will continually get harder as DO students can now take up spots since the merger. However, you have the scores and no visa req so definitely still aligns with our discourse. You can have the best publication in this part of the earth, but if you ain't got those scores, programs will think twice about inviting you.
I don't think you understand what the Match merger means. DOs have ALWAYS had the option of applying to the NRMP match. What the merger did was actually open up previously DO-only programs to MD students/grads.

So if anything, it should theoretically make things easier for IMGs. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Which is actually an even bigger red flag for those US students considering off-shore/overseas schools.

I don't think you understand what the Match merger means. DOs have ALWAYS had the option of applying to the NRMP match. What the merger did was actually open up previously DO-only programs to MD students/grads.

So if anything, it should theoretically make things easier for IMGs. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Which is actually an even bigger red flag for those US students considering off-shore/overseas schools.
The way I see it, it made DO more receptive at previously MD programs. Previously most ACGME programs insisted on USMLE and some DO students couldn't take/pass it. However, now a lot of programs allow them apply with just COMLEX. In addition, programs are trying to look more balanced by ensuring that a few DO students are always thrown into their resident list. Thus taking up some space for IMGS.

Statistically, most DO programs barely even take any MDs neither do MDs wanna apply to them usually. So the merger kinda favors the DOs more and rubs off on IMGs.

The way I see it, it made DO more receptive at previously MD programs. Previously most ACGME programs insisted on USMLE and some DO students couldn't take/pass it. However, now a lot of programs allow them apply with just COMLEX. In addition, programs are trying to look more balanced by ensuring that a few DO students are always thrown into their resident list. Thus taking up some space for IMGS.

Statistically, most DO programs barely even take any MDs neither do MDs wanna apply to them usually. So the merger kinda favors the DOs more and rubs off on IMGs.
No, sorry but your understanding is incorrect…
DO programs until the merger took no MD students… we don’t have any OMM training and it’s required for previous DO residencies… and yes they probably still don’t take a lot simply because US seniors prolly still don’t feel the need to apply to old AOA programs.
And many MD programs haven’t required USMLEs from DO applicant for a few years
now… would imagine comlex will eventually phase out in favor of
USMLEs.
The fact is that DOs have become more and more acceptable to MD programs ..many of those in leadership positions trained with DOs as residents and seem them as equivalent… that wasn’t the case 10-20 yrs ago… F/IMG match rates are effectively stable…just more applicants

Olivia, can you please share the spreadsheet link?

Ayudar
Is there a prematch program list you can share?

Hey guys,
Just posting here for the first time
Step 1: In the range 250-255
Step 2: In the range 235-240
OET: pass - all first attempt
YOG 2012
2 months of USCE, 1 peer reviewed pub, 1 book chapter pub, >15 non peer reviewed pubs.
IMG, visa needed, already IM specialist in my country - tons of experience working on hospitals there, no gaps.

Only 4 IVs so far, 2 of them through connections. 25 rejections. Applied for more or less 240 programs.
To be honest, feeling a bit disappointed with the small number of IVs and having to rely mostly on connections (even though I am very grateful and excited for 2 of my IVs).

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Just posting here for the first time
Step 1: In the range 250-255
Step 2: In the range 235-240
OET: pass - all first attempt
YOG 2012
2 months of USCE, 1 peer reviewed pub, 1 book chapter pub, >15 non peer reviewed pubs.
IMG, visa needed, already IM specialist in my country - tons of experience working on hospitals there, no gaps.

Only 4 IVs so far, 2 of them through connections. 25 rejections. Applied for more or less 240 programs.
To be honest, feeling a bit disappointed with the small number of IVs and having to rely mostly on connections (even though I am very grateful and excited for 2 of my IVs).
You are lucky you’ve 4!

The season is over I guess.
NON-US IMG; Step 1 -232; Step 2 - 247; ECFMG through OET; 4 US LORs through observerships; YOG 2018 with no gap. 3 peer reviewed pubs
2 IV - both through connections :)

I have 5 interviews, 1 done and 4 in December. I consider myself pretty lucky considering this weird year.

(...)
I would be interested to know if you have already accepted the pre match offer? I certainly understand your point, but with more than 10 consecutive ranks your chances of matching are certainly good. Especially if you rank programs that are within your reach.

I would be interested to know if you have already accepted the pre match offer? I certainly understand your point, but with more than 10 consecutive ranks your chances of matching are certainly good. Especially if you rank programs that are within your reach.
Yes I did! I for sure had a good chance but my priorities were to stay in NYC for personal reasons I mentioned. And I have been incredibly burnt out for more than a year. Right now I've reached out to some attendings I worked with to see if I can get involved in some more research during this weird downtime now that I've completed my medical degree. Working on getting my Step 3 done as well.

Yes I did! I for sure had a good chance but my priorities were to stay in NYC for personal reasons I mentioned. And I have been incredibly burnt out for more than a year. Right now I've reached out to some attendings I worked with to see if I can get involved in some more research during this weird downtime now that I've completed my medical degree. Working on getting my Step 3 done as well.
Congratulations for getting the offer! And thanks for answering. Your reasons seem very reasonable. I wish you the best of luck for Step 3.

Hello friends! IMG here. I got 13 IV. Can you help me rank??? I am doing couples match so only putting our share options:

1. Uconn
2. U new mexico
3. Einstein Philly
4. Mount sinai miami beach
5. St agnes baltimore
6. NYCMC

thanks!

Hello friends! IMG here. I got 13 IV. Can you help me rank??? I am doing couples match so only putting our share options:

1. Uconn
2. U new mexico
3. Einstein Philly
4. Mount sinai miami beach
5. St agnes baltimore
6. NYCMC

thanks!
I think this is already a good ranking based on the strength of programs. Do you have any location preference? I think we might need to start a new thread for ranking

I think this is already a good ranking based on the strength of programs. Do you have any location preference? I think we might need to start a new thread for ranking
Hi! Well I was born in a big city, and when I moved to the US I have been living the big cities too, so I am little concern about Hartford (uconn) and Albuquerque. That is why Philly and Miami are not letting me think straight hahah.

Yess please, a thread for ranking is must needed!

Any Idea about the Roger Williams Medical Center program Interview?
How does it work?
Any bizarre questions?

Appreciate your feedback if you have any.

Any Idea about the Roger Williams Medical Center program Interview?
How does it work?
Any bizarre questions?

Appreciate your feedback if you have any.
No weird questions. I enjoyed my day. It will be my #1.

I have 5 interviews, 1 done and 4 in December. I consider myself pretty lucky considering this weird year.
Good luck with all your interviews, hopefully you match at your top choice! Can you tell your creds, if possible?