IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

Started by Bobbbyyyy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hey guys, just curious if anyone has access to their MSPE/deans letter from their medical school, and if so does it mention the specialty you're applying to? One of the questions that was asked when I was filling out my MSPE questionaires was my interested specialty and why. My school doesn't release the MSPE to me so I'm not sure if they mentioned my specialty or not. Because i put IM on it, and this year I'm also applying to FM, so if my MSPE mentions specialties I'm screwed for FM.
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, just curious if anyone has access to their MSPE/deans letter from their medical school, and if so does it mention the specialty you're applying to? One of the questions that was asked when I was filling out my MSPE questionaires was my interested specialty and why. My school doesn't release the MSPE to me so I'm not sure if they mentioned my specialty or not. Because i put IM on it, and this year I'm also applying to FM, so if my MSPE mentions specialties I'm screwed for FM.
My med school sent ours to us to read last week after they had already uploaded them to ERAS. Mine didn't mention any specialty. I also read a few samples to make sure it looked like the American med schools ones and none of them mentioned a specialty either but if someone had interests etc like head of surgical society or something then that could hint to a particular interest. You could always email your schools match office to find out if they mentioned it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question guys
applied for 262 IM programs
and thinking of going all in family med with 150 programs
is it bad move/risky to apply IM FM in the same hospital..even though the chance that they will find out before interview is slim as each program are receiving thousands of applicants

i am just doing this to get the largest interview possible..then i can drop the ones that come from the same program to the main specialty of interest which is IM.
I am on the border of 5 years cut-off. i am doing this just , that i know this is the first and last chance to match this , next year i will be officially out of the 5 years cut-off
 
Question guys
applied for 262 IM programs
and thinking of going all in family med with 150 programs
is it bad move/risky to apply IM FM in the same hospital..even though the chance that they will find out before interview is slim as each program are receiving thousands of applicants

i am just doing this to get the largest interview possible..then i can drop the ones that come from the same program to the main specialty of interest which is IM.
I am on the border of 5 years cut-off. i am doing this just , that i know this is the first and last chance to match this , next year i will be officially out of the 5 years cut-off

You can definitely apply to multiple specialties in the same hospitals. They have their own selection committees and are reviewing thousands of applicants, I wouldn't think they would be in contact with each other regarding individual applicants. I know someone who interviewed for both IM and FM at the same hospital and no one noticed anything, they ended up matching in IM at that hospital. Yeah, should be fine to apply. Appreciate your gung ho strategy of applying to this many programs, it's expensive but I'm sure it will pay off.
 
You can definitely apply to multiple specialties in the same hospitals. They have their own selection committees and are reviewing thousands of applicants, I wouldn't think they would be in contact with each other regarding individual applicants. I know someone who interviewed for both IM and FM at the same hospital and no one noticed anything, they ended up matching in IM at that hospital. Yeah, should be fine to apply. Appreciate your gung ho strategy of applying to this many programs, it's expensive but I'm sure it will pay off.
Unless of course they share the same residency coordinator...or they see you on interview day( that happened to someone who posted here ).
Applying is fine enough (though same coordinator) but would carefully consider interviewing at the same place.
 
You can definitely apply to multiple specialties in the same hospitals. They have their own selection committees and are reviewing thousands of applicants, I wouldn't think they would be in contact with each other regarding individual applicants. I know someone who interviewed for both IM and FM at the same hospital and no one noticed anything, they ended up matching in IM at that hospital. Yeah, should be fine to apply. Appreciate your gung ho strategy of applying to this many programs, it's expensive but I'm sure it will pay off.
thank you mate for your reply..
awesome explanation.
I will defiantly apply , just not to come up empty handed .I am at 5 years mark, so rather pay it now. than next year with 6 years post cut-off.
GOOD LUCK in your match , hopefully you and other bros and sis over here make it to their dream job
 
Unless of course they share the same residency coordinator...or they see you on interview day( that happened to someone who posted here ).
Applying is fine enough (though same coordinator) but would carefully consider interviewing at the same place.
make sense.
I will at least apply, and wait and see for the interviews, as you said at least, the application process, it would be too much for them to dissect. but yeah, might become awkward during interview.
even though i can argue, that both Fields share a lot in common in terms of Primary Care scope. it is not like some one who applied surgery and using IM as a back door for safe guarantee.
I do love FM too, it`s just my home residency was IM i did lots of primary care there and there was no family MED. so i can have some decent explanation if i got caught red handed. lol
 
My stats:
step 1 - 228/step 2 - 229/step 3 - 223/CS pass first attempt
Few research posters and 1 publication
YOG 2018 from a Caribbean Med School
Non-US IMG - Visa required
For my IM programs I'm going to use 2-3 IM LORS + 1 FM LOR

I'm applying again this year as I was unable to match in the 2019 cycle. Last year I had 3 interviews at smaller community IM programs, 2 were through connections

After not matching in the past cycle, I've taken the step 3 and I'm going to be starting an outpatient observership.
Going to apply to both IM and FM programs this year, let's see what happens.
Not the greatest plan so far in improving my app since last year, but it's working progress, still brainstorming ideas on how to improve my chances of matching
you are going to match this year man.
you took step 3 and you are still involved in clinical rotation , you r fresh graduate and ur score are decent.
just apply broadly and u 2020 will be your year
 
step 1: 253
step 2ck: 258
cs: first attempt
YOG: 2017
no visa required
8 months of observerships

should I apply tomorrow then add documents later? will an incomplete application get filtered out?

if i apply a week later, even with full application, will that drastically lower my chances?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
step 1: 253
step 2ck: 258
cs: first attempt
YOG: 2017
no visa required
8 months of observerships

should I apply tomorrow then add documents later? will an incomplete application get filtered out?

if i apply a week later, even with full application, will that drastically lower my chances?
You didn’t see that there is a WHOLE thread dedicated to IMG applicants?
 
Step 1: 237
Step 2 CK: 235
Step 2 CS: Pending (Result expected on October 9)
US IMG
USCE: 8 months
LORs: 2 + 2(pending)
YOG 2016
No research experience

Could someone please tell me when would it be a good idea to apply?
Should I wait for my CS result to be out before applying or just go ahead with it?
 
Step 1: 237
Step 2 CK: 235
Step 2 CS: Pending (Result expected on October 9)
US IMG
USCE: 8 months
LORs: 2 + 2(pending)
YOG 2016
No research experience

Could someone please tell me when would it be a good idea to apply?
Should I wait for my CS result to be out before applying or just go ahead with it?
Trailer load of salt if you will, I have applied without my CS results being available too. If it's filtered out, it'd automatically show up and clear the filter when it becomes available.
 
Non-US IMG, need visa.

Step 1: 249
Step 2 CK: 255
Step 2 CS: Pass on 1st attempt

USCE: 5 months
LoRs: 4 US hands-on
YoG 2018
No research experience.

Now the wait begins.
 
Last edited:
Good luck to us all! And let the waiting game begin!

Have you guys registered with NRMP?

And if you have previous residency outside of the US, did you put it in the NRMP previous training section?

Thanks!
 
Good luck to us all! And let the waiting game begin!

Have you guys registered with NRMP?

And if you have previous residency outside of the US, did you put it in the NRMP previous training section?

Thanks!

I think you won’t be able to put previous training outside the US since they will inquire where in US you had the training.
 
US IMG (Caribbean not the big 4)
Step 1: 218
Step 2: 245
Step 2 CS: pending results sometime in early Oct.
YOG: 2020
No research or publication experience
4 LORS: 2 IM, 1 FM, 1 psych

I applied to 130+ IM programs and 100 FM as well, what are my chances of landing IVs? Thank you in advance!
 
Last edited:
Hello everyone.
Non-US IMG
Step 1: 250+
Ck: 265+(really counting on this one)
CS: pass 1st attempt
YOG:2018
Pubs: 5
USCE: 4 months (3 electives, 1 externship)
LORs: 4(3 US, 1 med dept chair)
applied to 155 programs.
I was reading last year's thread and saw many who applied in 260 programs! nervous that applied to a few.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Step 1: 237
Step 2 CK: 235
Step 2 CS: Pending (Result expected on October 9)
US IMG
USCE: 8 months
LORs: 2 + 2(pending)
YOG 2016
No research experience

Could someone please tell me when would it be a good idea to apply?
Should I wait for my CS result to be out before applying or just go ahead with it?
Apply now, don’t waste time, I waited 2 days and only got 10 interviews, it was brutal last year, I was around your stats but i graduated in 2018.

A friend of mine applied on day 1, with much lower scores got way more interviews (15).
 
Apply now, don’t waste time, I waited 2 days and only got 10 interviews, it was brutal last year, I was around your stats but i graduated in 2018.

A friend of mine applied on day 1, with much lower scores got way more interviews (15).

Applied 4 hours late after the season officially started. Any input how that might affect it?
 
Hello everyone.
Non-US IMG
Step 1: 250+
Ck: 265+(really counting on this one)
CS: pass 1st attempt
YOG:2018
Pubs: 5
USCE: 4 months (3 electives, 1 externship)
LORs: 4(3 US, 1 med dept chair)
applied to 155 programs.
I was reading last year's thread and saw many who applied in 260 programs! nervous that applied to a few.
lol pretty sure you will be alright fam, you're a super competitive applicant
 
Very Old IMG here, first time applying
YOG MD 2008; PhD 2011; then IM residency at home 2016: huge red flag
Step1 24x; Step2CK 26x; Step2CS 1st pass: ECFMG certified
USCE Extern 1 month / Observer & research 3 month
Publication 50+ (first-authored 13)
Non-US IMG with EAD, no visa requirement to work: will it be still different from a secured GC?
LORs
two from US IM attending, strong
one from home IM mentor, strong
one from home IM chair, good
Came to the US for a better chance to bring research into the clinic.
Hope this year turns out well for everyone!
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, does anyone know if a program has already downloaded your application will they see an extra LOR if you add it? I had wanted to submit with 2 US LoR and one home LoR and add the 3rd US one from my current observership when I get it. But one of the US MDs I did a rotation with last year still hasn’t uploaded my letter despite polite reminders and him replying that he would. So unfortunately had to go ahead an apply with 2 home letters and 1 US LoR. The current MD I’m with is much more reliable and will have the letter to me in a few days. I’m just wondering if programs that have already downloaded the app will see his letter when I get it? It’s from a good university hospital so would be a good addition.
 
Hey guys, does anyone know if a program has already downloaded your application will they see an extra LOR if you add it? I had wanted to submit with 2 US LoR and one home LoR and add the 3rd US one from my current observership when I get it. But one of the US MDs I did a rotation with last year still hasn’t uploaded my letter despite polite reminders and him replying that he would. So unfortunately had to go ahead an apply with 2 home letters and 1 US LoR. The current MD I’m with is much more reliable and will have the letter to me in a few days. I’m just wondering if programs that have already downloaded the app will see his letter when I get it? It’s from a good university hospital so would be a good addition.
They do not "download" applications anymore,it is online now. Whatever is in your application at the time they open is what they see so therefore upload your third LOR if you have it. If the program has not reviewed your application before you uploaded it, they'd see it.

Reference: ask the program coordinator thread
 
I'm rocking out with 1 LOR assigned to programs, 1 being processed, 1 hopefully getting uploaded today, and 1 hopefully after my observerships done in early October'
I feel so vulnerable RN
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
only people who don't need a visa can expect invites in sept I think, thats what happened last year
 
I'm rocking out with 1 LOR assigned to programs, 1 being processed, 1 hopefully getting uploaded today, and 1 hopefully after my observerships done in early October'
I feel so vulnerable RN

can I just say how big of a fan I am having read each of your posts in last year's img thread.
 
They do not "download" applications anymore,it is online now. Whatever is in your application at the time they open is what they see so therefore upload your third LOR if you have it. If the program has not reviewed your application before you uploaded it, they'd see it.

Reference: ask the program coordinator thread
Thank you so so much for your help!
 
Anyone else's USMLE transcripts saying not assigned despite checking it? I'm really hoping that thing about it taking 1-2 business days to sent to programs is not true!