IMG rank list and letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radiologyreviews2015

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As everyone knows, IMGs are at a bit of a disadvantage. I have interviewed at a couple places that I really loved that have never matched an IMG in the past. It worries me that they are unlikely to rank me due to the fact that I am an IMG.

I also interviewed at a place that has taken IMGs in the past. I actually really loved this program as well. If all things being equal I would likely rank this program #3.

My dilemma is, should I rank the IMG friendly program #1 and send them my letter of intent? Or should I potentially burn my letter of intent by sending it one of the other programs that may not rank me no matter what?

I wouldn't want to blow my shot at the IMG friendly residency...

Members don't see this ad.

Rank them the way you want them.
The "love letter" that you send to them is pretty meaningless in most cases, anyway. If they interviewed you then they are at least open to accepting IMGs. Likely, they haven't taken any before just simply because the rank list hasn't gotten down to one. This can be variable/luck/etc.

As everyone knows, IMGs are at a bit of a disadvantage. I have interviewed at a couple places that I really loved that have never matched an IMG in the past. It worries me that they are unlikely to rank me due to the fact that I am an IMG.

I also interviewed at a place that has taken IMGs in the past. I actually really loved this program as well. If all things being equal I would likely rank this program #3.

My dilemma is, should I rank the IMG friendly program #1 and send them my letter of intent? Or should I potentially burn my letter of intent by sending it one of the other programs that may not rank me no matter what?

I wouldn't want to blow my shot at the IMG friendly residency...

I would rank according to MY preference. I dont think You are blowing your shot at an IMG friendly program by sending your letter of intent to your (not so IMG friendly) Top choice. My 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does the rest of you list look like?

Do you have other options that have taken an IMG further down your list? Then I would rank based on your real preference and feel safe that you'll at least match at one of the programs that has taken an IMG.

Do you have relatively few other places that have taken an IMG on the rest of your list? Play it conservative, send the IMG friendly program a letter AND rank them first. Be happy that you matched. Applicants are up by 150 compared to last year. I would rather be at my last choice radiology program than any prelim or non-radiology SOAP spot.

I have a couple community programs near the bottom of my list that take IMGs.

I have a top 8 that never/rarely take IMGs, except for the one mentioned above. Such a tough decision.. thanks for everyones input, i appreciate it.

NRMP clearly states that you should rank your programs according to your preference, as the program favors applicants. Basically, if you are ranking 10 programs and rank the IMG-friendly program 10, you are at no disadvantage compared to ranking the IMG-friendly program #1.

As far as letter of intent, I would try to contact residents in the program to see if they did the same or know if the program uses that. For the most part, letters of intent likely do nothing, but some residents have mentioned it may help you get ranked a few spots higher based on where you were ranked after interview day, but is not going to make you go from bottom of the list to top.

And, keep in mind that whatever the reply is to a letter of intent may mean nothing. One PD told me "if you get a reply from me, take it with a grain of salt. It may very well be the reply another 59 of you will hear, because honestly any 60 of you would be amazing residents here."