IMG Transitional Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted463521

I was looking for this and I did not find any recent posts.
Profile: US Born, IMG school.
I'm a 4th year medical student that just did my 3rd year medical clerkships over at Mexico and I'll be doing my 4th and final year on USA. Just finished STEP 1 will take STEP 2 during the next semester. I know I can't match for the upcoming year, and I'm interested in knowing if I can do a year of internship.

I would very much like to do something that's considered as medical experience in the USA for a extra year after I'm done with school and before my residency for a couple of reasons. I would very much like LoR from US doctors from a specialty I would like to apply to, I want to look competitive having some work experience and commitment in the US system now that I have been a year outside of the USA doing clerkships vs my other AMG competition.

Are there any programs I can apply to like a PGY-1 without being an official medical resident before I apply for the match on 2018 for 2019?

Thanks in advanced.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year medical student that just did my 3rd year medical clerkships over at Mexico and I'll be doing my 4th and final year on USA. Just finished STEP 1 will take STEP 2 during the next semester. I know I can't match for the upcoming year, and I'm interested in knowing if I can do a year of internship.

I would very much like to do something that's considered as medical experience in the USA for a extra year after I'm done with school and before my residency for a couple of reasons. I would very much like LoR from US doctors from a specialty I would like to apply to, I want to look competitive having some work experience and commitment in the US system now that I have been a year outside of the USA doing clerkships vs my other AMG competition.

Are there any programs I can apply to like a PGY-1 without being an official medical resident before I apply for the match on 2018 for 2019?

Thanks in advanced.
If you've already graduated med school, passed Step 1 and Step 2CK/CS (both Steps needed for IMGs), and are ECFMG certified, then you could apply for a prelim year or a TY in the next Match. Assuming you have a decent application, it should be easy enough to get a surgical prelim, but the other ones would be more of a challenge. But why not just apply directly for a specialty?

I won't be able to have the Step 2 before this years Match is done and I won't have US LoR since I just came back "into the system".

I want to get into either Internal Med or Peds, still debating.
I took this course of action because I saw some IMG graphs that show that iMGs match around 60% and if I don't match chances go down to about 40%. I did not want to risk it before having a stronger application. My grades are fine and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get good Step 1 & 2. Just want more experience in the US field before I dive into residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I won't be able to have the Step 2 before this years Match is done and I won't have US LoR since I just came back "into the system".

I want to get into either Internal Med or Peds, still debating.
I took this course of action because I saw some IMG graphs that show that iMGs match around 60% and if I don't match chances go down to about 40%. I did not want to risk it before having a stronger application. My grades are fine and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get good Step 1 & 2. Just want more experience in the US field before I dive into residency.
At least as far as I'm aware, you can't enter the Match and apply for a prelim or TY without being ECFMG certified, and you can't be ECFMG certified without having passed Step 1, Step 2CK, and Step 2CS. Maybe that's incorrect or there's a loophole but that's my understanding.

Thanks in advanced.
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a Transitional Year (TY) is. It's not a 5th year of med school where you can get some more experience without actual responsibility (which is what it seems that you're looking for), it's the first year of residency. Aside from a 5th year of med school (which I don't suspect you'd be eligible for unless you fail your 4th year), there's not really a program that does what you're looking for.

Many IMGs apply in the same (or worse) position as you, having only 1-2 months of USCE and manage to match. Unless you're unable to get 2CK/CS done in the next 3 months, your best bet is to apply this year. Otherwise you'll have to figure out something non-clinical to do next year while you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank gutonc.

Now, a further question. To your knowledge is there anything I can do in between my 4th year and the next match related to clinical experience? I know I won't be able to match because I'm pretty sure I won't be able to take Step 2 before this year's match window ends.

One of the main things is that's holding me back from pushign to get this year's deadline is that I don't have US LoR.

One of the main things is that's holding me back from pushign to get this year's deadline is that I don't have US LoR.

That's silly. All of your LORs should come from 4th year rotations. Meaning the one you're on now, the one you start in August and the one you do in September. Throw a letter in from your 3rd year just to make sure you have 3.

That's good to know. Someone told me that it was recomendable to use a olely LoR from the specialty you want to apply to.

Generally speaking, yes. Which is why you should have rotations in that specialty for the next 3 months.

You probably should have come here about 9 months ago for this advice.

Reactions: 1 user
My school offers for last year: Endo, ER, Derm, Neuro, Nutrition, Infectious Diseases, Ortho, ENT, Ophtalmo and Urology. I'm deliberating between Internal for Cardio or Peds to specialize afterwards.
Think any of those would be beneficial? If not, i would try to get an elective on IM or Peds.