IMG without undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cleverpseudonym

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

This is not a "what are my chances" thread! I'm currently in med school in Ireland and am interested in Neuro residency in the US after graduation.

The only problem is... in the UK and Ireland people don't do undergrad before med school. I'm in a 6 year programme so will graduate at 23.
Do people think that programmes would be happy to take a 23 year old or would I have to work for a few years before applying for residency? The rest of my app will be pretty strong.

Please don't flame me! I'll give the luck of the Irish to anyone who replies.
😉 :luck: 😉
 
The great majority of IMGs are from 6-7 year programs, as compared to 4+4 year programs in the US and Canada. In the US, there are few 7-year programs. For IMGs, the big issue is that there are several US states who will require you to have taken certain undergraduate courses before licensing you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't worry about it just apply and to a lot of programs. I graduated from Ireland from a 6 year program & had no problems. I know several people that have done it too. Most of us don't have undergraduate degrees.

Good luck.