IMG's Doing Fellowship in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cardiac Amyloidosis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think most people know about the "12-week rule" that if you are an IMG and did 12-weeks of clerkships in the US, you can't apply for residency in the state of NY unless you are on that short list of medical schools that are allowed to do so. I did not apply for residency in the state of NY because of this and researched if this had an impact on fellowship and it looks like it does not. However, I came across some things I wanted to ask any IMG that DID do 12-weeks of rotations in the US as a medical student AND did not go to an accepted school (in regards to obtaining an NY physicians license).

1. This statement on their website "If you graduated from a non-LCME-accredited medical school located in one country but completed one or more clinical clerkships in a different country, those clerkships must be certified (Form 2CC). This information is not collected by the Federation Credentials Verification Service (FCVS). For each hospital in which you have completed such a clerkship, the Director of Medical Education or Department Chair must certify your completion of the clerkships."

This can't be real. You have to submit this Form 2CC to every hospital you went through as a student and get them to fill it out and then fax to the medical board of NY? This would take too long.

2. I was told that I can't even start the application for a full license until my last month of residency (36-months), and it typically takes a few months to get the license. So this would basically guarantee a late start date in fellowship. This also does not make sense.

If anyone can give me some help it would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My daughter just had her school sign the form 2cc stating that her clinical rotations were at their affiliated hospitals. She went to st James

Reactions: 1 user