Immature vet students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alliecat44

KSU CVM Class of '11
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick, vague vent:

We're in a professional program, people. We all graduated from junior high school.

Why do people have to insult each other behind their back? Why do people have to talk about each other and gossip?

I remember the third week of school, after-hours in the lab. Two students were picking students out from across the lab and making fun of things about them. Like just LOOKING for stuff to pick on--the way they dressed, the way they spoke, etc. After knowing each other for THREE WEEKS! And it's only gotten worse from there.

These are your future COLLEAGUES!!

Live and let live.

What can these people possibly be doing to YOU?

I know we have lockers, but c'mon...shouldn't that the only thing that reminds us of high school?!?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a group on Facebook called "Dear Vet School, High School called. They want their drama back". Apparently it's a fairly common thing no matter what school you go to.

To be honest, that makes me sad.

yes. It sucks. It sucks. It sucks the energy right out of you. And makes you question the future of humanity...

I'm sorry! I hope it gets better.

who posted the drama llama?? That one cracks me up, I can't help but think about it everytime we have some absurd drama at school!

Members don't see this ad :)
IT'S BACK

dramallamahg2.jpg

It's going to happen no matter what vet school you go to. When you throw a bunch of people together in a high-school sized small class, make them be there for eight hours a day, interacting with all the same people it does get like high school. It's not like undergrad when you are among 15,000 other people who you maybe see once or twice a week and you can choose to avoid those people who get on your nerves or who you plain just clash with. When you throw people together and force them to be around eachother all the time, there's bound to be some drama...it's unavoidable, and not right, but something we all just have to deal with.

thank you, drama llama to the rescue!!!

here's a llama, there's a llama, and another little llama...

llama, llama, duck.

thank you for the llama song in my head!

Love the drama llama.

Also the "whaaaaambulance" (as we used to call it). :)

People, people....whatever somebody else does, does it REALLY have an effect on you?? Just wait til they get to the real world.

It's reassuring to know, however, that it's not just here!! :)

Oh boy, I think we all feel your pain.

Whenever I hear those people talking crap on each other all I can think about is that how they treat these people behind their backs is probably how they would treat me too. I know a lot of people who have big mouths but I find it hard to believe that they could take half the bs they dish out. I don't think anybody should say something they won't own - if you wouldn't say it to their face, try not to say it at all! Unfortunately I sometimes find it hard to follow my own mantra -that's what my boyfriend's ears are for :rolleyes:.

My favorite game is devil's advocate, you should try it :)

Unfortunately I sometimes find it hard to follow my own mantra -that's what my boyfriend's ears are for.

Amen to that!!!!

I :love: the drama llama!
(my lab partner actually just bought a llama...)

Oh boy, I think we all feel your pain.

Whenever I hear those people talking crap on each other all I can think about is that how they treat these people behind their backs is probably how they would treat me too. I know a lot of people who have big mouths but I find it hard to believe that they could take half the bs they dish out. I don't think anybody should say something they won't own - if you wouldn't say it to their face, try not to say it at all! Unfortunately I sometimes find it hard to follow my own mantra -that's what my boyfriend's ears are for :rolleyes:.

My favorite game is devil's advocate, you should try it :)

Though I agree with you, I think there's a difference between venting about something and picking out people and making fun of their appearance (as in the first post). Venting can actually be somewhat healthy - lets off some steam without hurting any feelings, but it also can go too far. I know people in my class who vent and those in my class that have something to say about everyone and they usually have different attitudes about it.

I can think of very few things of this sort that are worth listening to and even fewer that are worth responding to. So I go by three words:

ignore, ignore, ignore...

We're in a professional program, people. We all graduated from junior high school.

Why do people have to insult each other behind their back? Why do people have to talk about each other and gossip?

I remember the third week of school, after-hours in the lab. Two students were picking students out from across the lab and making fun of things about them. Like just LOOKING for stuff to pick on--the way they dressed, the way they spoke, etc. After knowing each other for THREE WEEKS! And it's only gotten worse from there.

Live and let live.

I know we have lockers, but c'mon...shouldn't that the only thing that reminds us of high school?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
Though I agree with you, I think there's a difference between venting about something and picking out people and making fun of their appearance (as in the first post).

Yeah you are right, and also vent to an appropriate audience aka not your entire lab group, especially when you don't pay very close attention to who is standing behind you ;)

Yeah you are right, and also vent to an appropriate audience aka not your entire lab group, especially when you don't pay very close attention to who is standing behind you ;)

Exactly! Don't you hate it when you see a group of gossiping girls and then they see you and clam up?

I can think of very few things of this sort that are worth listening to and even fewer that are worth responding to. So I go by three words:

ignore, ignore, ignore...

Which is easy to do until you're class president and roughly 25% of the class is talking **** behind your back. And you can't directly address the problem, because you don't have concrete "proof" of who said exactly what. (It would turn into a game of he said/she said.)

And so THEN you're stuck--you can't change/explain things people are unhappy about, because they're too cowardly to directly talk to you. And you can't fix what they're talking about because you don't know their exact issues.

Around and around we go.

Sick of working for free for people who don't respect me or even like me. Thank GOD we elected a new president today. I am SO GLAD.

Sick of working for free for people who don't respect me or even like me. Thank GOD we elected a new president today. I am SO GLAD.

Aww...hang in there, Allie! :( That stinks. Light at the end of that particular tunnel, though. :(

Which is easy to do until you're class president and roughly 25% of the class is talking **** behind your back. And you can't directly address the problem, because you don't have concrete "proof" of who said exactly what. (It would turn into a game of he said/she said.)

And so THEN you're stuck--you can't change/explain things people are unhappy about, because they're too cowardly to directly talk to you. And you can't fix what they're talking about because you don't know their exact issues.

Around and around we go.

Yeah, it sucks, but honestly, if you're that unhappy, you don't HAVE to do it. No one is sticking a gun to your head and making you do it. The VP can probably take over if you hate it that much.

Yeah, it sucks, but honestly, if you're that unhappy, you don't HAVE to do it. No one is sticking a gun to your head and making you do it. The VP can probably take over if you hate it that much.

She signed up for an obligation and is seeing it through. That deserves a :thumbup:, not a refusal for sympathy. And she's a smart girl. If she really needed to get out of the obligation for mental/emotional well being, I'm sure she could figure out how to do so.:)

I don't refuse sympathy. I said that it sucks. I agree that it's important to follow through with things, but if you are THAT miserable, maybe it's just best not to do it. Obviously the people don't appreciate the work.

I don't refuse sympathy. I said that it sucks. I agree that it's important to follow through with things, but if you are THAT miserable, maybe it's just best not to do it. Obviously the people don't appreciate the work.

Maybe it's because I'm a native Washingtonian, but allow me to point out what is probably so evident it doesn't immediately occur to you: there is a vocal minority, and there is a silent majority.

I absolutely refuse to let the vocal minority "win," especally at the expense of the silent majority. They are already losing out on not having me as president next year.

As VAGirl said, I signed up for and am fulfilling an obligation. Same thing as if I were under a job contract. The professional thing to do is fulfill my obligation. Also, if I succomb, what kind of lesson does that teach these people? That they can bully/intimidate people into doing what they want, regardlesss of public opinion?

However, once it's over, I'm DONE.

YAY!!!

Nevermind. Go KSU class of 2011!

Ruffian, in response to your original post, you're right--it is unprofessional to get so specific in a public forum, and for that I apologize. I originally posted as a general vent, looking for verification that this phenomenon is not isolated to my school.

Apparently, it is not--which is both distressing and reassuring. (Funny how life works that way sometimes.)

I shouldn't have gotten specific. However, if you read my post carefully, I'm sure you can notice that I am speaking about a SMALL group of people--the MINORITY. I agree that our class is wonderful.

The numerous posts I've made in this forum regarding our school have been overwhelmingly positive and enthusiastic. I've spoken with many potential/actual applicants and interviewees over PM and have done everything in my power to represent my school as positively as possible--because I believe it deserves to be. I do love my school and we do have a great class.

My point was basically that a few bad eggs sneak into every batch, and it's a shame. Seems like that happens other places, too. *shrugs* Which is nice to know as someone in my position. I'm sure you can appreciate that.

Go KSU 2011, indeed!

Around and around we go.

why would anybody EVER take that job?? it just paints a friggin target on your forehead.

Exactly! Don't you hate it when you see a group of gossiping girls and then they see you and clam up?
Haha, people gossip about me?! I'm too angelic :).

why would anybody EVER take that job?? it just paints a friggin target on your forehead.

I was "drawn out of a hat" to be our class's president at the beginning until we could have an election, and I quickly realized your point. I got the heck out of there as fast as I could!

I was "drawn out of a hat" to be our class's president at the beginning until we could have an election, and I quickly realized your point. I got the heck out of there as fast as I could!

Awww, I thought you made a good lame duck president. :)

I didn't think it was inappropriate either. As a vet school applicant, it's valuable for me to learn about the many facets of life as a vet student.

Oh no!
You mean we work this hard to get there and then it's like HIGH SCHOOL?
Aw geez...I've been out of high shool now for many moons, nonsense like that is the last thing I want to put up with again.
Good thing we get to get out one day and be vets.
Alliecat don't worry about it - trust me someday this won't matter a bit.

i love your donk, aggiedonk!

Thanks!
She's mischief on four legs!

The numerous posts I've made in this forum regarding our school have been overwhelmingly positive and enthusiastic. I've spoken with many potential/actual applicants and interviewees over PM and have done everything in my power to represent my school as positively as possible--because I believe it deserves to be. I do love my school and we do have a great class.

I can vouch for the truth of this, 100%. Allie has been KSU's biggest cheerleader, on this forum and of all the people I met at KSU. I'd say that her ability to speak openly about the occasional negative aspects of KSU (really more the structure of vet school in general) makes all of her other super positive comments even more worthwhile because it lets all of us know that she's not just full of it and only showing us the sugary best of the school.

Aw geez...I've been out of high shool now for many moons, nonsense like that is the last thing I want to put up with again.

And we're all going to be relying on the mature (emotionally, not necessarily in years) folks like yourself to make vet school as little like the stereotypical high school experience as possible! I hope you're up to the task. :p

I will consider it my mission.

Along with graduating. :)

When you throw a bunch of people together in a high-school sized small class, make them be there for eight hours a day, interacting with all the same people it does get like high school.
Hm... I wonder if class size really does have something to do with it. I haven't noticed a huge amount of pubescent-style drama in my class at Davis, but we're 132 people, so it's pretty easy to avoid spending time with people you don't like. Maybe in the classes of 60 or 80 people it's more of a pressure cooker. But then again, our lab groups and discussion groups were randomly (as far as I know) assigned, and I don't think I've heard of any of those groups breaking down into total drama-fests. And I can't say that I've overheard anything like the gals alliecat mentioned, looking for reasons to criticize people from across the room. I guess I'd like to say Davis just does a fantabulous job of picking mature applicants, but I think it's just as likely that because I'm not looking for drama, I'm oblivious to any that may be going on... :)

I don't know about other schools, but OSU's class size is close to 140 people with about 120 women!!
What do people think are gonna happen when you put 120 women in the same room for 6-8 hours a day??

Haha, that's exactly what I'm saying. Go girls, but we can be dramatic!

I don't know about other schools, but OSU's class size is close to 140 people with about 120 women!!
What do people think are gonna happen when you put 120 women in the same room for 6-8 hours a day??

Well, I mean 60-150 people together 8 hours a day vs. 15,000 people once a week is a little different. We're all stressed and get annoyed at other people and when we have to spend 8 hours with certain people who exacerbate this stress and annoyance, it doesn't always bring out the best in anyone! Let's all try to be more mature and stop bashing eachother in school and our classes in public forums and be done with it, shall we? :luck:

Hm... I wonder if class size really does have something to do with it. I haven't noticed a huge amount of pubescent-style drama in my class at Davis, but we're 132 people, so it's pretty easy to avoid spending time with people you don't like. Maybe in the classes of 60 or 80 people it's more of a pressure cooker. But then again, our lab groups and discussion groups were randomly (as far as I know) assigned, and I don't think I've heard of any of those groups breaking down into total drama-fests. And I can't say that I've overheard anything like the gals alliecat mentioned, looking for reasons to criticize people from across the room. I guess I'd like to say Davis just does a fantabulous job of picking mature applicants, but I think it's just as likely that because I'm not looking for drama, I'm oblivious to any that may be going on... :)

Well, I mean 60-150 people together 8 hours a day vs. 15,000 people once a week is a little different. We're all stressed and get annoyed at other people and when we have to spend 8 hours with certain people who exacerbate this stress and annoyance, it doesn't always bring out the best in anyone! Let's all try to be more mature and stop bashing eachother in school and our classes in public forums and be done with it, shall we? :luck:

Wait, did I miss something? It seems like people were defending their schools, but they were sick of the drama. Was anyone here bashing their classes in public forums?

I think that KSU's class of 2011 is really an awesome class. We do lots of things as large groups and rather than being broken up into smaller groups we can get together and make an awesome unit. Some people choose not to participate or to stand on the sidelines, but for the most part it seems that a lot participate. I do notice some tension, but I know from friends that other schools endure the same 'drama'
Life is all about what you get out of it, and I don't spend my time dwelling on the drama, but I prefer to get out there and live (when I'm not studying, of course).
I think the name calling and fingerpointing comes from both sides and it is a shame to see it infiltrate an otherwise close-knit group that could accomplish a lot together if grudges were set aside.
All that said, I wouldn't want to be in any other class :D

Live and let live.

I saw the same crap in medical school and, later, in law school. I'm 37 now, so I'm old and jaded, but what do you expect from 22 year-old straight out of undergrad? They are only 3-4 years out of high school. Some of these kids never grew out of that adolescent phase. The only thing you can do is control your own behaviour, right? Focus on that while you focus on your school work and screw the kiddie drama. Hopefully, by the time they graduate, they'll have outgrown that immaturity.

Oh Lord, please don't tell me this is true. I HATE drama so much more than the average person. I've had friendships torn apart by it, my relationship with my bf suffer because of it, and had trouble in school when it goes on :scared:. Finally I rid my life of dramatic people, expecting there just may be less drama up North, but you dash my hopes OsuVet!!

any environment where you throw a relatively small group of people together and hold them together there for 40+ hours a week is going to have drama.

and disease - we're like the feedlot cattle with shipping fever. if one gets sick and stressed, they all get sick and stressed...

and disease - we're like the feedlot cattle with shipping fever. if one gets sick and stressed, they all get sick and stressed...

:laugh: For some season that struck me as really funny