Immuno pimp question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hcrunner82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, hoping someone can help me out with this question I got pimped on today during peds rounds...i'll apologize in advance if this is a dumb question but immuno was not my strong point on step I and i want to do neurology anyway;)

Can anyone explain(or post a link since I can't find the answer anywhere) the time frame of when both IgM and IgG will peak and start to decline during an infection? My patient had a reactive IgM for myco and all I could remember was that IgM could stay positive for 6months to a year.

Specifically my attending wanted to know
-when does IgM reach its peak and then decline?
-when does IgG start to rise? When does IgG reach its peak and start to decline?

Thanks for any help, I have until Monday morning to find this out:)

Members don't see this ad.

You know, I think it depends on the infection and the antigens involved. I would imagine that not all infections follow the same course. Was your attending asking about a specific disease?

I think I remember that IgG takes at least a month to form whereas IgM is immediate. But the immune response mounted is going to depend on the antigen load and type of antigen. Ie-some thymus independant antigens don't require T-cells to make Ig, so you can get both IgM and IgG immediately (for example the flagella of Salmonella carries such an antigen as does the capsule of pneumococcus).

You can find lots of graphs on google. Short answer is that it's different for every response. IgM usually peaks in a couple of weeks then falls off. IgG gradually rises, peaks later. Either one can stay positive forever or disappear and only reappear on rechallenge/reexposure of the antigen.

IGA.jpg