immunology book question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinehopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys and gals,
i'll be an M2 next month. my school recommends to us to read up on immunology during the summer break. why? our first unit is immuno heavy and difficult for most students. any suggestions on what books would be good to start at? one suggestion for was was Immunobiology/Janeway. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Our school uses Basic Immunology/Abbas & Lichtman. I read some of it and it keeps things pretty simple. I thought it was easy to understand especially for me as I have no immunology background whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

medicinehopeful said:
hey guys and gals,
i'll be an M2 next month. my school recommends to us to read up on immunology during the summer break. why? our first unit is immuno heavy and difficult for most students. any suggestions on what books would be good to start at? one suggestion for was was Immunobiology/Janeway. thanks.

I actually bought the Janeway book. As a textbook goes, I think it's great. It's easy to read and a great resource. Since I hadn't had immunology before, I would use it to clarify difficult concepts. Overall it was too detailed to use all the time but still it was a great reference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used parts of Cellular & Molecular Immunology by Abbas, Lichtman, and Pober as a second-year and didn't like it too much. Not sure how much overlap there is between that one and Basic Immuno.

As a board-review book, I used, and absolutely LOVED and lived by, Review of Medical Micro and Immunology by Warren Levinson. Seriously, this was an amazing book and a relatively quick read. Especially good if you haven't taken micro yet, in which case I'd recommend this book along with Micro Made Ridiculously Simple.

jllander said:
I actually bought the Janeway book. As a textbook goes, I think it's great. It's easy to read and a great resource. Since I hadn't had immunology before, I would use it to clarify difficult concepts. Overall it was too detailed to use all the time but still it was a great reference.

Agreed. Janeway is a great recommendation.

I agree that Levinson's Review of micro and immuno is a good book....... also because I'm selling my new spare copy for 48% off cover price.

:)

Parham has good pictures and is written well

Medical micro & immuno by Levinson is good also

but my school gave us pretty good notes, so I used the books only as a reference. most of my classmates really liked parham.

medicinehopeful said:
hey guys and gals,

Essentially, one would want the Janeway for the text and Abbas for the pictures. If you can buy one and check the other one out from the library, do so.

for the lange medical micro & immuno, would it make much of a difference to get the brand new edition that came out this year? or is it ok to get the older edition?

jllander said:
I prefer Parham to Janeway due to the latter's excessive information. Parham obtained the rights to the diagrams and pictures in Janeway so you won't be losing out in that aspect. Also, Parham is cheaper.