Immunology for Step1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoctortobe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to study immuno but can't seem to answer any qbank questions with the info from BRS Path. What is the best book to use for this subject?

Members don't see this ad.

adoctortobe said:
I've been trying to study immuno but can't seem to answer any qbank questions with the info from BRS Path. What is the best book to use for this subject?

I hear high yield is pretty good. there is also a new rapid review book by a guy named rosenthal that just came out. It got an A in First Aid, might wanna check it out.

The kaplan one is good if you can get your hands on it.

Otherwise this is good ( I read it), but lacked a couple of topics. But an excellent book nevertheless:
http://gotmedbooks.com/findbooks.ph...m=59&limitnum=0&searchtype=browse&category=15

Unfortunately, the rest of the stuff is not that good for immuno. I have looked at a lot of immuno stuff, but all of it sucks, other than this and Kaplan book. The High Yield just came out, I have it - looks okay at a glance, but have not yet read it.

Good luck,

Members don't see this ad :)
adoctortobe said:

high yield immuno is really good. just read the whole thing today. very readable, short, and complete. one of the best in the series in my opinion.

The Levinson book's immuno section is good. I also use "Basic Immunology Functions and Disorders of the Immune System" by Abul Abbas and Andrew Lichtman. It might be over kill, but it's my favorite subject. :p

automaton said:
know first aid's immuno section inside and out. all you need.

are you joking? i assume so as i think FAs immuno is god awful. They have abs no basic immuno and the immuno path is average at best. They dont even ahve a structure of a bloody t cell receptor if i remember correctly.. I dont know i wouldnt go with this advice if you are being serious

Ramoray said:
are you joking? i assume so as i think FAs immuno is god awful. They have abs no basic immuno and the immuno path is average at best. They dont even ahve a structure of a bloody t cell receptor if i remember correctly.. I dont know i wouldnt go with this advice if you are being serious

I can attest to Automation's statement. FA was enough for my exam BUT, you reallly need to understand how everything fits together and then be able to apply that information. The facts you need are in FA but the connections are not. I also thought the Immuno Path chapter in BRS Path was very helpful.

Kaplan is a good resource but way too much information although I thought the questions at the end of each chapter helped me to put things together.

RJ

i'm not joking. there is a lot of information in those pages. and yes the picture of the t-cell receptor is there. sure, a lot of the details are not very prominent (you really have to pay attention to all the cytokines shown in the various diagrams and infer what they do from the picture) but all the information is there. my immunology background was marginal at best, but i felt like first aid did a great job.

i did read hy immunology, but i really don't feel like it added much to my general understanding. it is however a very quick read and if someone is very anxious about the subject then i recommend the book just for the psychological benefit alone. but i discourage people from reading large amounts of material from sheer anxiety... like reading big textbooks about embryology or whatever. it is much better to examine first aid very thoroughly, in my opinion.