Immunology text book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tranzformer

Varg
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to get an immuno book for the upcoming year. I used Tizard during undergrad and didn't find it helpful. I have been recommended Janeway by some, but have also heard that it can go into excessive detail. A grad. student in the lab I am working in mentioned Parkham as being a great book. Anyone have recommendations? Kuby also seems to get good reviews.

Members don't see this ad.

I really liked Parham, used it in undergrad and medical school. Our professor here actually recommended the book over the one he helped author.

I don't have any real experiences with other books to use as a basis of comparison tho.

In my class we used one by Abbas. In undergrad, I used Janeway, and I really liked it. I didn't like the Abbas one, even though it was shorter. I know a lot of people who hadn't had immuno before liked it though. I kept my Janeway around for reference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am torn between the Parkham and Janeway. Those that have used both, which one did you prefer. I had some immuno in undergrad, but I have heard that Janeway has a tendency to get caught up in the details, while Parkham is more straightforward and to the point. Maybe Parkham is the right choice?

I have also heard good things about Parkham. I was thinking of getting a copy before I start MSI this summer.

I have a graduate degree in Immunology, and I swore by Janeway for my coursework. The beauty of this book is that, although it does go into excessive detail (for medical school purposes), there are headings above each paragraph/topic that tells you what it is about. You can then either delve into more detail by reading the text, or you can skip to the next heading. Also, the illustrations are fantastic - you could get the gist just by reading the figures and then simply skimming the text.

Peter Parham's "The Immune System" is basically an abridged version of Janeway. It has plucked out the important concepts and figures, and thus does not delve into the level of detail that Janeway contains. It's a great introductory text, and has all of the benefits of Janeway's great figures without all of the extra wording and detail.

I still have both texts, and plan on using Janeway this fall in my medical immunology course.

I have a graduate degree in Immunology, and I swore by Janeway for my coursework. The beauty of this book is that, although it does go into excessive detail (for medical school purposes), there are headings above each paragraph/topic that tells you what it is about. You can then either delve into more detail by reading the text, or you can skip to the next heading. Also, the illustrations are fantastic - you could get the gist just by reading the figures and then simply skimming the text.

Peter Parham's "The Immune System" is basically an abridged version of Janeway. It has plucked out the important concepts and figures, and thus does not delve into the level of detail that Janeway contains. It's a great introductory text, and has all of the benefits of Janeway's great figures without all of the extra wording and detail.

I still have both texts, and plan on using Janeway this fall in my medical immunology course.

Would you say that Parkham still retails the important concepts necessary for med-school? Parkham wasn't written as an intro. book for undergrad courses, was it?

Don't waste your money on a textbook.

a) there are plenty, usually online thru your medical library
b) a good review book, like Parmely's, Roadmap... was what I used.
c) Most/all of what you will need will be in the lectures.
d) if you had a micro class or better yet an immuno class in undergrad, I am most confident you will not need it.

i used Janeway and thought it was terrible. I can see it being ok if you've had some decent exposure to Immuno before, but I felt the ordering of the material was very odd and did not facilitate learning the material. You just are being exposed to too many cell bio details early on and finally figure out how everything kind of fits together around chapter 11, 400 pages later.

Don't waste your money on a textbook.

a) there are plenty, usually online thru your medical library
b) a good review book, like Parmely's, Roadmap... was what I used.
c) Most/all of what you will need will be in the lectures.
d) if you had a micro class or better yet an immuno class in undergrad, I am most confident you will not need it.

I second that. Unless you absolutely looove textbooks or anticipate that your school's lectures will be horrendous, you probably don't need an official textbook.

Lange Medical Microbiology and Immunology

After flipping through a friend's Janeway here's my recommendation:

Get Parham (note there is no k in his last name) if you want a book to actually read. Get Janeway if you want a text to reference to clear up a topic. Or, and probably smartest of all, wait until your class starts to see if you need a text at all and then follow my advice.

I have been recommended Janeway by some

One thing to watch - there's a new Janeway's (7th edition) out this November. Older 6th ed copies will soon be selling for pennies on Amazon.

At our school we use the Abba's text. I really liked it because it was short, simple and easy to understand. Also, although it is simple, it isn't too bare bones.

Uhh, there was a textbook for that course? I didn't buy one. The couse lectures and handouts were sufficient, after all, that is what they tested us on. If you are PBL, then I understand.