Immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bullfan16

Certifiable Quad Streaker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To make it short, I am curious what everyone's thoughts are on Immunology. Currently, I am enrolled in the class but can drop today or tomorrow to get a large chunk of money back without penalty. I know Immunology isnt a class in dental school, but it is covered in Micro. I have heard (from 2 sources: a professor and a student) its about 3-4 weeks of material (which I understand is probably a lot in a short time). I am also in Biochem and Micro and want to get A's in the classes and am worried that by taking this class (Immuno) and the other two I could put that in jeopardy and additionally the immunology course has a lab...and I know the advanced sciences dont have labs in dental school. So my question is, is it worth it...or should I read the book when I have the chance and worry about the other 2 classes for now? Biochemistry is required by Indiana and other schools, so I am not going to drop it and Micro is a good class to get background in. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Immunology sucked at UIC. Hardest part of micro, by far. Where are you headed next year?

funny we just finished immunology at IUSD. now, i personally wish i had taken it in undergrad. however, it wasnt that difficult to stay with the course and do well.

i would not take immunology if i were you simply because as you said you wanna do well in your other sourses. no need to have that extra headache when you know you could handle it when you come across it here at IUSD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bullfan16 said:
To make it short, I am curious what everyone's thoughts are on Immunology. Currently, I am enrolled in the class but can drop today or tomorrow to get a large chunk of money back without penalty. I know Immunology isnt a class in dental school, but it is covered in Micro. I have heard (from 2 sources: a professor and a student) its about 3-4 weeks of material (which I understand is probably a lot in a short time). I am also in Biochem and Micro and want to get A's in the classes and am worried that by taking this class (Immuno) and the other two I could put that in jeopardy and additionally the immunology course has a lab...and I know the advanced sciences dont have labs in dental school. So my question is, is it worth it...or should I read the book when I have the chance and worry about the other 2 classes for now? Biochemistry is required by Indiana and other schools, so I am not going to drop it and Micro is a good class to get background in. Any thoughts?

its a course in dental school and its a course in residency

Stay in Immuno, it's a great course. It'll help you out a lot in D school.
A lot of students who never had Immuno in my classs had difficulties with it, but I just swept through the course. It's an interesting class-- a lot more interesting than Microbio. You're going to be talking about immunology forever, in MANY MANY MANY of your dental courses. Stay in it!

I'm not in dental school but I took immuno last semester in undergrad. I think it all depends on your professor if it's a worthwhile class or not. some people I know took the traditional immuno through the microbiology department at my school and hated it. I took the "clinical immunology" class offered through our med tech department and thought it was a really great class, great prof, very interesting and I learned a lot. I'm pretty sure both classes presented almost all the same material and concepts, just with different formats/books/professors. You should ask around and see how other people at your school liked the immuno class, and also see how you feel about it after a week or so, and then decide if you want to stay in it.

oh ya and immuno is in fact a whole separate class at some dental schools...

I already have attended one week of the class and would have stayed in it if it were not for the lab component. It is just not worth the time to go over a lab that is not very important in the scheme of what I hope to go into (ie dental school) seeing that most dental schools do not do advanced science labs. I do understand immunology is important, but as some people have mentioned (as well as some profs) you can and will have to learn it once in dental school. Also, as Biogirl pointed out it depends on the professor....I have heard some bad things about the one whose class I was in (and shes the only professor)...the only good aspect I could see is I hear she's a pretty easy grader (which is not always good especially if you want to learn the material). In any case I dropped the class tonight and have the book. I may read it over summer to get ready. First, however, I have to get in to dental school...and hopefully soon. Thanks for all the input. From what I know about the schools that I would like to attend.....immunology is part of Micro...and in the end it will all work out.

Oh and Zurik...I talked to my gf's sister and her roomate at UIC and they both said the same thing...that it sucked. Still not in anywhere yet, but things will work out.

Bullfan16 said:
Oh and Zurik...I talked to my gf's sister and her roomate at UIC and they both said the same thing...that it sucked. Still not in anywhere yet, but things will work out.

Damn right, keep on plugging away. For what it's worth, if UIC doesn't work out, I can assure you that you'll get just as good of an education, if not better, somewhere else. Ohh and Randi knows how to party ;)

toysareus said:
Stay in Immuno, it's a great course. It'll help you out a lot in D school.
A lot of students who never had Immuno in my classs had difficulties with it, but I just swept through the course. It's an interesting class-- a lot more interesting than Microbio. You're going to be talking about immunology forever, in MANY MANY MANY of your dental courses. Stay in it!

Sweet deal. I'm in an immunology course now. It is actually hard. It's very fluid like. There is no exactness to it. Bunch of cells, and bunch of interactions among them. Don't really seem to have any common theme or pattern.