impact of intro level grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jim2jail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My bio intro grades are great, and I have great upper level bios with the exception of a W - withdraw for genetics. I would say my bio gpa is about a 3.8-3.9.
My chem intro grades are great (3.8-3.9) but my orgo grades suck!: B- and B (2.8 avg). I do however have research grades within the field of Analytical Chem and Orgo lab to boost up this aspect: (3.8-3.9)
My physics grades suck: (B+ and C+ = 2.8 avg.)
Overall my BCPM grades including EVERY science and math class i have taken is somewhere between a 3.55 and 3.65, and my cGPA is about 3.43.

My question is how do this grades affect the application, especially considering some classes which i have done very poorly in (the orgo and physics)???

Should I retake those classes?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about the OChem grades. The C+ in Physics is of concern if it means you don't understand it well enough to do well on the MCAT. If that might be the case, then retake it. Overall, your BCPM GPA isn't too bad, relatively speaking. Of bigger concern is the cGPA, which will be looked at first. You either need to get that higher before you apply, or have a great MCAT score.

Thanks Mobius!
I was considering retaking Physics, but I am not sure about the policy - does taking it again completely erase the old grade or does it simply become an average of the two? I was also considering taking over orgo 1 because it is easier than orgo 2, to sort of compensate for the B-.
I am only a junior so I will have a shot to raise my cGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Mobius!
I was considering retaking Physics, but I am not sure about the policy - does taking it again completely erase the old grade or does it simply become an average of the two? I was also considering taking over orgo 1 because it is easier than orgo 2, to sort of compensate for the B-.
I am only a junior so I will have a shot to raise my cGPA.

It will erase it for DO. For MD it will be averaged, basically both grades stand on the transcript. Re-doing the classes or not really depends if you are applying heavily DO. If you are, retake those. If you would only be satisfied with an MD acceptance, retaking would not really help. Taking upper division class and going well will help.

It will erase it for DO. For MD it will be averaged, basically both grades stand on the transcript. Re-doing the classes or not really depends if you are applying heavily DO. If you are, retake those. If you would only be satisfied with an MD acceptance, retaking would not really help. Taking upper division class and going well will help.

I'm a little confused. Do you mean the other way around - since MD is generally a lot harder to get into than DO??

If you got a C in Physics, and decided to repeat, and got an A for a course with the same number of credit hours:

For AMCAS, the MD application service, the 3 hours of C and the 3 hours of A would both appear on the transcript and would average in like 6 hours of B. It would effect you exactly the same as if, instead of repeating the class, you took 3 hours of an advanced Physics class.

For AACOMAS, the DO application service, only the 3 hours of A would be calculated into your application GPA, even though the C would be present. This would allow your GPA to rise faster than it would for MD applications.

Have I understood your question?