Impact of publishing low impact papers on future academic career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philzaloe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for those further on in their dermatology training and/or applying for positions in academia:

I am a medical student interested in dermatology. At this stage, I would obviously love to publish prolifically. One of our attendings is notorious for publishing esoteric case reports to lower quality journals, and has offered me several writing opportunities. My impression from other faculty members, however, is that it is not impressive to have a barrage of low impact journals and papers attached to one's name. In fact, authoring many low-quality publications may negatively affect one's chances of securing faculty positions after residency.

On the one hand, writing up these "low hanging fruit" would help improve my chances for residency (I assume). On the other hand, I hope to apply for academic positions after residency, and I don't want to decrease my chances in the long run, either. Currently, I am in the sea of authors for a few basic science papers, but no first-author papers, if that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If they're someone you're willing to work with, do it. I don't see any reason not to.

Just because something is in a low impact journal (esoteric topics often fall into small, low IF journals) doesn't mean that it has to be low quality. That's on you to write something you're proud to publish.

I have a question for those further on in their dermatology training and/or applying for positions in academia:

I am a medical student interested in dermatology. At this stage, I would obviously love to publish prolifically. One of our attendings is notorious for publishing esoteric case reports to lower quality journals, and has offered me several writing opportunities. My impression from other faculty members, however, is that it is not impressive to have a barrage of low impact journals and papers attached to one's name. In fact, authoring many low-quality publications may negatively affect one's chances of securing faculty positions after residency.

On the one hand, writing up these "low hanging fruit" would help improve my chances for residency (I assume). On the other hand, I hope to apply for academic positions after residency, and I don't want to decrease my chances in the long run, either. Currently, I am in the sea of authors for a few basic science papers, but no first-author papers, if that helps.

I'm not sure I saw a question?

I'm assuming the question is whether or not to work with the attending you described?

If an attending has offered you multiple writing opportunities, I would jump on it. First things first, you have to get into dermatology. Having a large number of publications (even in low impact journals) will help. Especially if all you are sending in are case reports, it should still leave you plenty of time to get your name on basic science papers or meatier clinical research projects.

There are certainly PDs (or once you are further in your career), academic faculty who will turn their noses up at someone who exclusively published to lower quality journals as it just looks like stat padding. But there's no rule indicating you have to list all your publications to lower impact journals. I'd start with writing down what you can and as you start to pick up steam with your publications, you can be more selective as to what you include on your CV.

Either way, it sounds like a great opportunity to work with a prolific attending as well as learn the ins and outs of how to write / edit / submit / revise / publish

Members don't see this ad :)

I am not in derm (I am an attending academic anesthesiologist), but would say that what you do as a student (unless it is very impressive) will have any impact on your ability to get a job as an academic attending. You will likely conduct more research and get published in higher impact journals during residency, if you really put effort into that with academics being your goal. Ultimately, getting your name on anything as a student is a plus.

Main point: The higher impact, the better.... but low impact is better than no impact, right?

Most spots in JAAD are reserved for clinical trials on biologics (sometimes it seems like half the journal). Most spots in JAMA Derm are reserved for crappy epi studies out of Northwestern on how kids with atopic dermatitis are more likely to [verb] bad [noun].

The value of publishing as a Med student is not just the papers, it’s the mentorship and skills/passion you are exposed to that will help you develop your future niche. Derm Surg and Peds Derm are low impact journals, but they’re top dog in their respective sub-specialties. Remember, it’s more than just the impact factor, especially in derm

Also, it’s easy to find an academic job, especially at the top universities. If you are willing to accept a 60%+ pay cut, UCSF, Northwestern, and Penn have a faculty spot for you!

Last edited:
Most spots in JAAD are reserved for clinical trials on biologics (sometimes it seems like half the journal). Most spots in JAMA Derm are reserved for crappy epi studies out of Northwestern on how kids with atopic dermatitis are more likely to [verb] bad [noun].

LUL :D

Yes, you should publish prolifically. Many academic centers base promotions off productivity. If you publish many low impact journal publications, it will actually help you with promotions because you'll continue to look prolific. Of course, the goal is to have high impact papers along the way. However, you will never be penalized and will only prove your productivity. The koolaid is to publish high impact papers for every single one. The truth, though, is that you need to show productivity and if you publish many low impact papers in a themed area then you would show dedication to an area and follow through. I have yet to see a single faculty member penalized because they published a bunch of low impact papers. Quantity is counted favorably in reviews. Quality matters too and it is a mix of both.

I love this post so much I want to have sex with it.

You forgot the token "psoriasis is linked to heart disease but we can't do anything about it" POS in every JAMA Derm

You forgot the token "psoriasis is linked to heart disease but we can't do anything about it" POS in every JAMA Derm

A certain JG has a huge thing for this. I feel like reading those is Groundhog Day. Same thing rehashed over and over.

A certain JG has a huge thing for this. I feel like reading those is Groundhog Day. Same thing rehashed over and over.

Reading the LAPS trial is like the last frame in that expanding brain meme on this subject

I definitely agree that any publications you can get now will help your future!