Impact of Research on an Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMH500

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am applying to dental school this upcoming cycle, and was hoping to finalize my list of schools I want to apply to. For this reason, I was wondering if anyone knew how big of an impact dental research could have on your application. I have done extensive research at a dental school, and was wondering if this might make up for the fact that my GPA is a little lower than some of the schools I was considering applying to. Any input on this would be great. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Most definitely helps. Plus a good DAT will ensure you get in somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Most definitely helps. Plus a good DAT will ensure you get in somewhere.
Great thanks! I already took the DAT, is there anything else I can do to strengthen my application before I apply other than volunteering?

Members don't see this ad :)
Great thanks! I already took the DAT, is there anything else I can do to strengthen my application before I apply other than volunteering?
post your specific stats and we could give you better advice...

Research may get you noted, but it may not translate into ability to take the punishment of the dental school curriculum.

Research may get you noted, but it may not translate into ability to take the punishment of the dental school curriculum.
Ok, thank you! My GPA is not bad, it is just slightly under the averages for some of the schools I am thinking about applying to.

Had 3 interviews so far and was never asked about research. I have 2 publications so far (one as a second author) and others in manuscript.

I think given that the interview is pretty short, there were more important questions they wanted to ask. Looking back I would have not done undergrad research and focused all my time on GPA and spent more time studying for DAT.

I do think it helped my application for sure but nothing really beats a strong GPA/DAT

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Had 3 interviews so far and was never asked about research. I have 2 publications so far (one as a second author) and others in manuscript.

I think given that the interview is pretty short, there were more important questions they wanted to ask. Looking back I would have not done undergrad research and focused all my time on GPA and spent more time studying for DAT.

I do think it helped my application for sure but nothing really beats a strong GPA/DAT
Ok, thank you. I've already taken the DAT and am a junior, so there isn't a whole lot I can do about either now. Good luck with future interviews and getting an acceptance!

research definitely helps and actually gives you something interesting to talk about during your interview

research definitely helps and actually gives you something interesting to talk about during your interview
Assuming there is some commonality; otherwise, adcoms might be equally impressed with an interest in the blind salamander.

Assuming there is some commonality; otherwise, adcoms might be equally impressed with an interest in the blind salamander.

dental research is an emerging field and from my experience, dental schools want applicants that are eager to progress the applications of dental medicine. just a hot take from a blind salamander

I went to 8 interviews and was asked about my research in all except one of them. I think it definitely helped me but I’m not sure to what extent. It’s definitely a good conversation piece if you can talk about it well

I was asked more about my organic chemistry research than my perio research so I don’t think topic/commonality matters too much