Imperial College MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chriskyk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Can anyone share some thoughts on Imperial College London's MPH program (career prospects, workload, exposure, global reputation etc)? I recently got accepted but have little knowledge on the UK public health programs. I hardly found any rankings or comments on the web.

Also, my plan is to work in Asia (China/Hong Kong/Singapore) in the long term. Would a UK or US MPH have an advantage?

Thanks so much,
Chriskyk

Members don't see this ad.

I know ICL is prestigious in general, and have heard good things about their public health program. I don't know about working in Asia specifically. Getting jobs and opportunities in public health is more about what you do and who you know rather than where you attend school. Of course, if you went to a school like Hopkins for your MPH/MSPH you might meet tons of people working in Asia and get connected that way. Maybe you'll meet tons of people working in Asia while at ICL. I would first look at ICL's website and see if there is anyone there who has connections with people in Asia. That's not necessary for you to work in Asia. We can't recommend you do an American MPH over a British MPH just b/c it's American. Hopkins or Emory MPH might be better than ICL, but ICL may beat an average American MPH. I would do some more research, research people at ICL, and talk to more people in general. Good luck!

I know ICL is prestigious in general, and have heard good things about their public health program. I don't know about working in Asia specifically. Getting jobs and opportunities in public health is more about what you do and who you know rather than where you attend school. Of course, if you went to a school like Hopkins for your MPH/MSPH you might meet tons of people working in Asia and get connected that way. Maybe you'll meet tons of people working in Asia while at ICL. I would first look at ICL's website and see if there is anyone there who has connections with people in Asia. That's not necessary for you to work in Asia. We can't recommend you do an American MPH over a British MPH just b/c it's American. Hopkins or Emory MPH might be better than ICL, but ICL may beat an average American MPH. I would do some more research, research people at ICL, and talk to more people in general. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! The reason I'm posting is because there's really limited info on the MPH programs in the UK. I do know that ICL is rich in medical research and would expect it to offer a more than decent MPH program.

I'm struggling between Columbia and ICL. Given that I did my undergrad in the U.S, I kind of want to stay in the UK to explore that part of the world more, plus it's a one-year program :xp

p.s I am a Hong Kong Chinese.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! The reason I'm posting is because there's really limited info on the MPH programs in the UK. I do know that ICL is rich in medical research and would expect it to offer a more than decent MPH program.

I'm struggling between Columbia and ICL. Given that I did my undergrad in the U.S, I kind of want to stay in the UK to explore that part of the world more, plus it's a one-year program :xp

p.s I am a Hong Kong Chinese.

I would go to ICL in a heartbeat. Like you, I have interests in the Asia-Pacific region and am currently seriously considering going to the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. There are too many factors to consider, and some programs will be a better fit than others, but this too will vary depending on which factor you consider. ICL is one of the top institutions in the world - and quite frankly, I think better than Columbia. (ICL, University College London, Harvard, MIT - are all on that same boat.) As suggested above, I would take a closer look at how the program will take a direct or not-so direct route back to Asia. Are there opportunities to take courses or seminars, to link with networks and professors, and to get assistance from their career services office that focus on Asia? I get the sense that you want to expand your experience. I say leave the U.S. and move to London. :D

I would go to ICL in a heartbeat. Like you, I have interests in the Asia-Pacific region and am currently seriously considering going to the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. There are too many factors to consider, and some programs will be a better fit than others, but this too will vary depending on which factor you consider. ICL is one of the top institutions in the world - and quite frankly, I think better than Columbia. (ICL, University College London, Harvard, MIT - are all on that same boat.) As suggested above, I would take a closer look at how the program will take a direct or not-so direct route back to Asia. Are there opportunities to take courses or seminars, to link with networks and professors, and to get assistance from their career services office that focus on Asia? I get the sense that you want to expand your experience. I say leave the U.S. and move to London. :D

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, the duration of the program, reputation of the school in medical resources tempt me to go. I guess for now only Harvard's MPH will stop me from going.

Have you decided to go to LSHTM?

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, the duration of the program, reputation of the school in medical resources tempt me to go. I guess for now only Harvard's MPH will stop me from going.

Have you decided to go to LSHTM?

I have not decided just yet. I would like to hear from everyone else before I decide - and like you, Harvard is a contender, as well as Berkeley. Good luck! :D