Importance of Composite Letter

Started by Iapyx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Iapyx

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My school offers a composite service for letters in which it simply combines your letters into one document. However, one of my professor's may not be able to get my letter in until a few days after the deadline due to an upcoming publication 🙄

This thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=609336 makes it seem like its a big deal, but I'm under the impression that the composite that is being referred to is more than a mere synthesis of letters (i.e includes advisor comments, etc)

Here's my question... If I fail to get the composite (all letters synthesized into one document) my school's recommendation service will instead send a letter packet (all 3 of my letters sent in a singling mailing to AMCAS, but not in a combined document). Will this hurt my application?

I wouldn't think so, but wanted to be sure...
 
If your school offers a composite letter, then you should send the composite letter. Medical schools know which institutions use a composite letter, and if you don't have one, it looks very bad. You should probably clarify with your pre-med adviser to find out if this is the case with your school.
 
If your school offers a composite letter, then you should send the composite letter. Medical schools know which institutions use a composite letter, and if you don't have one, it looks very bad. You should probably clarify with your pre-med adviser to find out if this is the case with your school.

I disagree. A composite letter is different from a committee letter. If you have a pre-medical committee you need to get this committee letter, if you don't then you will need strong justification as to why you did not. A composite letter is similar to a letter packet, some composite contain a brief summary of your recommendations plus a few evaluations. A letter packet is the combonation of three letters into one document for easy of uploading to AMCAS, interfolio or whatever letter service.

If you have a committee you need their letter otherwise... Composite= packet= individual 2 science and 1 non science recommendation.

Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I think OP is confusing composite with committee. Every school and their mom has a service that gathers your LOR's together into a bundle, that's not the same as a committee letter.
 
Yeah I think OP is confusing composite with committee. Every school and their mom has a service that gathers your LOR's together into a bundle, that's not the same as a committee letter.


I actually think the thread I quoted was confused. They were discussing the importance of a "composite letter", but I assumed they meant "committee letter". Just wanted to be sure though...

Thanks for the responses.