Importance of joining organizations in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathologyDO

MS-3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fresh MS1 here and the stress is already gearing up! Ok, so besides a rigorous curriculum and all, we're expected to go to these student org fairs and such to check them out. Some of them cost $50+ to join and many of them are like "derm club, path club, IM club, EM club," etc. I really don't know what I wanna do yet which is what 3rd year will be for... Or so I thought! With all these clubs I feel like I need to have my path chosen (please don't bash my username, I know what it says but I created it awhile ago).

Is it at all important to join these clubs? Will the PD at residencies I apply to be looking for involvement in these groups? The only one that interests me at all is SOMA right now .

Members don't see this ad.

Meh. The interest groups won't help at all if you're not on the board. I just go to the meetings if there's a cool speaker, but mostly for the free lunch talks. Heh.

Meh. The interest groups won't help at all if you're not on the board. I just go to the meetings if there's a cool speaker, but mostly for the free lunch talks. Heh.

Well insofar as boosting your resume, no, but if you use them for their intended function, i.e. to ascertain whether you have an interest in a specialty, yes, they'll help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fresh MS1 here and the stress is already gearing up! Ok, so besides a rigorous curriculum and all, we're expected to go to these student org fairs and such to check them out. Some of them cost $50+ to join and many of them are like "derm club, path club, IM club, EM club," etc. I really don't know what I wanna do yet which is what 3rd year will be for... Or so I thought! With all these clubs I feel like I need to have my path chosen (please don't bash my username, I know what it says but I created it awhile ago).

Is it at all important to join these clubs? Will the PD at residencies I apply to be looking for involvement in these groups? The only one that interests me at all is SOMA right now .

Group involvement won't hurt you, but it also isn't necessary. Do stuff if you enjoy it. Don't do it to get into residency. Don't do it at the expense of studying. I also will not do it at the expense of time with friends or family.

On the surface they help very little.

However, remember that medicine is all about connections.

Often times, interest groups and student gov positions enable you to get to know the right people.

I don't know why the school is charging you to join an interest group. If it is so, then only join the ones you think you are or might be interested in. Get free food. Network with higher-ups when they come to talk in your specialty interest.

You don't have to do it, and unless you're on the board PDs won't care. Even if you are they probably won't really care.

Interest groups are what you make it.

If you are just joining one to add it to your resume then no it wonʻt help and definitely wonʻt make you look good.

But if you have an interest in the field you can learn a lot about said field, make connections etc.

Also, it can give you a chance to preview specialties before third year / get exposure to specialties you traditionally donʻt rotate through (rads, gas, plastics, derm etc.) until itʻs time for fourth year electives.

lol, who is charging you 50+ dollars to be in an interest group?

The benefit of organizations/interest groups

Free FOOD

That's basically it.

:p

And maybe one of those witty T-shirts with "Trust me, I'm ALMOST a doctor!" if you're into that kinda thing.

yeah our emergency medicine interest group was the only one to charge money and they said it was for things like suturing. but then they had only like two meetings and there was another session from another group later on in the year where they taught you to suture for free. so i was glad that i didn't waste my money

Specialty specific groups are good ways to meet residents and attendings. They won't pad your resume but the connections might help later.

Just do it. Do groups, do volunteering. Don't have to go crazy... Little time investment needed, looks great on ERAS and you won't be complaining about your blank-looking resume and won't be posting threads like "little extracurriculars, still have chance and X residency?" in a few years on SDN.

Reactions: 1 user