Importance of Pre-Req Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epc11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started out rough with C/B in Chem 1/Retake, B/B+ in Bio 1/2, C/B BioLab 1/2, and B in Calc 1. Then I picked it up with A's in Stat, Chem 2, OChem 1/2 + Labs, and Physics 1/2 + Lab. How important are pre-reqs... as important as other BCPM courses, or more? With a 3.75 cGPA and 3.67 BCPM with an awesome upward trend, do my shortcomings early on really matter? Will a good MCAT make up for low prereq grades?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the main reason pre-req grades matter is because they often make up a large part of your science GPA. If you struggled with pre-reqs but did well in upper-level science courses, and it seems you did, then I doubt they would care that you got a C in gen chem or gen bio. A high MCAT will also help to negate lower pre-req grades. Keep in mind that most people applying don't have perfect GPAs and that a 3.75cGPA/3.67 sGPA is perfectly fine for both MD and DO schools. I would maybe address why you struggled early on and how you improved in your personal statement, but overall, your GPA will not hurt you all that much, if at all.