Importance of preclinical grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jorje286

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My med school has quite a crappy curriculum, and from experience I know that if I concentrate on honoring the classes, my Step 1 preparation will take a hit, cause the way they test us is not exactly good preperation for the boards.

So I pretty much took the decision to "tank" (be satisifed with high pass, and even pass) my med 2 grades so I can get excellent preparation for Step 1 and nail it at the end of Med 2. Note that I'm an IMG, and even though this school follows the American system, most of the students end up doing their steps later and wasting a year, probably because the premed preparation isn't good enough.

Is this advisable? Would I be losing too much ground for residency applications if my preclinical grades weren't stellar? From what I gather, no one cares about preclinical grades and most American schools are F/P, and Step 1 is supposed to be the parameter for how well you know your medical information. Is this correct?

Members don't see this ad.

As an IMG looking for a US residency spot, I'm not sure you can afford to "tank" anything.
Pre-clinical grades are not that important, except that they contribute to your class rank.

If you have to choose one or the other, I'd go for board prep.

As an IMG looking for a US residency spot, I'm not sure you can afford to "tank" anything.
Pre-clinical grades are not that important, except that they contribute to your class rank.

If you have to choose one or the other, I'd go for board prep.

How important is class rank?

I presume it's less important than steps, letters of evaluations and research, no?

Members don't see this ad :)