Importance of research??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaser0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how importance research was in getting into a quality medical school

I heard that research didn't really matter unless you were applying to a research oriented medical school.
Is it worth the bother???

Members don't see this ad.

It won't hurt. But, you're right that it isn't absolutely necessary unless applying to a research oriented med school.

I don't think it's "worth the bother". I've been doing cell bio research for 3 years, and I love it. But it's tedious, and I can see how a lot of people would find it boring/miserable. I wouldn't do it unless you have a genuine interest in it, and definitely do not do it just for application sake.

Having some kind of research experience won't hurt you at all but having it will certainly make you look more well-rounded in the front of the adcoms (especially at med schools that well into research). In any event, the competition is tough out there and if you can do something that will make you stand out, just do it :hello: