Importance of Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A Mysterious Stranger

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen some people in my class volunteer some of their time helping around the community or speaking with K-12/undergrads about medicine, and it got me wondering about how important volunteering during medical school is in regards to scoring a residency. I have well over 2000 hours in mixed volunteering as a candy striper and worked as an EMT already, and honestly I don’t want to work for free anymore. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve seen some people in my class volunteer some of their time helping around the community or speaking with K-12/undergrads about medicine, and it got me wondering about how important volunteering during medical school is in regards to scoring a residency. I have well over 2000 hours in mixed volunteering as a candy striper and worked as an EMT already, and honestly I don’t want to work for free anymore. Thoughts?

None

Reactions: 6 users
I volunteer when I feel like it and only for a cause I have genuine feelings for. I heard volunteer hours don’t matter but when I see people sign up for every little thing, makes me feel like they care more about their resume than the actual cause.

Virtue signalling sort of sickens me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteer when I feel like it and only for a cause I have genuine feelings for. I heard volunteer hours don’t matter but when I see people sign up for every little thing, makes me feel like they care more about their resume than the actual cause.

Virtue signalling sort of sickens me.
I don't know about sickening me, cause they are helping people usually, but I definitely agree that virtue signaling is super annoying. And when its nonvolunteer stuff (i.e. parroting what some professor said/acting like your classmates are completely outrageous for complaining about valid things) thats when it gets really annoying to me. I try not to let my own opinions slip out because they are quite different, but sometimes I slip, and have to endure a couple minutes of 'rationalizing' about how what I said wasn't valid because my school couldn't possibly do anything bad. Smile and nod, guys, smile and nod, just remember that up and down doesn't always mean yes.

But I guess its part of my nature too, I believe there are places out there that will treat you well and with respect, so I suppose I am an eternal optimist. I know they exist, I have been to Costco. Just got to find the Costco of medical school instead of the walmarts.

Reactions: 2 users
For those above me that I’ve talked to, it counts for little (essentially none). If you have the desire, then by all means do what you enjoy. However, I wouldn’t be going out of my way to volunteer for the sake of adding something to your CV. Board studying for three to four hours compared to volunteering for that time will have far greater dividends towards residency if that’s what you are thinking about. I know people who spread themselves too thin trying to be apart of every club and volunteer for everything. I cringe when people allude to the ability to get a preferred residency because of their involvement even though there grades/board scores are below average/barely passing. Just my opinion, though.

I don't know about sickening me, cause they are helping people usually, but I definitely agree that virtue signaling is super annoying. And when its nonvolunteer stuff (i.e. parroting what some professor said/acting like your classmates are completely outrageous for complaining about valid things) thats when it gets really annoying to me. I try not to let my own opinions slip out because they are quite different, but sometimes I slip, and have to endure a couple minutes of 'rationalizing' about how what I said wasn't valid because my school couldn't possibly do anything bad. Smile and nod, guys, smile and nod, just remember that up and down doesn't always mean yes.

But I guess its part of my nature too, I believe there are places out there that will treat you well and with respect, so I suppose I am an eternal optimist. I know they exist, I have been to Costco. Just got to find the Costco of medical school instead of the walmarts.

I need to watch myself, I write way more dramatically than I talk. My actually feelings are probably more “annoyed”. One because some volunteer programs are perfectly capable of hiring the help they need but exploit students desperate for hours. Two because people do it to look good instead of actually having passion for something.

Volunteering and shadowing are the weakest things you can do for a medical school application.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh damn. In that case, it is even weaker. Do research instead of volunteering.

Unless you're shooting for competitive specialties like Urology, Derm, Ortho, etc..., the bulk of your competitiveness when it comes to residency application will be mainly on Step 1, Step 2, and clinical grades. Above average in all of these three categories along with a normal personality will make you very competitive for 80-85% of the specialties out there.

If you're gunning for competitive specialties, you better start doing research right now.

Reactions: 3 users
Spend your time doing research in a field you're interested in. Only volunteer if you want to.

Boards scores and clinical grades >>>> extra-curriculars

That said, pretty much every interview I went on asked me what I do outside of school to relax or to have fun, etc. It was nice to have a couple of things other than Netflix to mention.

If you legitimately enjoy volunteering and/or it's important to you to make a difference in your community, go for it-- but don't do it specifically for your residency application, especially if it'll be detrimental to your scores.

Boards scores and clinical grades >>>> extra-curriculars

That said, pretty much every interview I went on asked me what I do outside of school to relax or to have fun, etc. It was nice to have a couple of things other than Netflix to mention.

If you legitimately enjoy volunteering and/or it's important to you to make a difference in your community, go for it-- but don't do it specifically for your residency application, especially if it'll be detrimental to your scores.

Im guessing drinking til you puke in order to deal with the sorrows of medical school is the wrong answer?

Sweet. Thank you all so much for your advice. It really means a lot. Good to hear from you Ortnakas!

Im guessing drinking til you puke in order to deal with the sorrows of medical school is the wrong answer?

Probably not so much.

I did honestly say Netflix though. At multiple interviews. The first time because I blanked and couldn't think of a better answer, and the others because... well, it's true, "what I do outside of med school" is sleep, spend time with my spouse, play with my cat, and watch Netflix. At one interview this led to a five minute conversation about our favorite episodes of The Office.

Reactions: 3 users
Probably not so much.

I did honestly say Netflix though. At multiple interviews. The first time because I blanked and couldn't think of a better answer, and the others because... well, it's true, "what I do outside of med school" is sleep, spend time with my spouse, play with my cat, and watch Netflix. At one interview this led to a five minute conversation about our favorite episodes of The Office.

I love this.

You just gotta keep it real. It's not about WHAT you say, but HOW you say it honestly.

For medical school interviews (not residency of course)... while my buddies were spouting and bs'ing about how much they LOVED doing fruit fly research, I kept it real and told my interviewers how much I actually enjoyed watching documentaries on the prison system which led into a 15 minute convo about drug trafficking and the murders of Biggie and Tupac.

True story too.

We all ended up getting in but it just goes to show you that our interviewers are actual people too.

Last edited:
Unless you're shooting for competitive specialties like Urology, Derm, Ortho, etc..., the bulk of your competitiveness when it comes to residency application will be mainly on Step 1, Step 2, and clinical grades. Above average in all of these three categories along with a normal personality will make you very competitive for 80-85% of the specialties out there.

If you're gunning for competitive specialties, you better start doing research right now.

PREACH baeee...

PREACCCHH.

I love this.

You just gotta keep it real. It's bout about WHAT you say, but HOW you say it honestly.

For medical school interviews (not residency of course)... while my buddies were spouting and bs'ing about how much they LOVED doing fruit fly research, I kept it real and told my interviewers how much I actually enjoyed watching documentaries on the prison system which led into a 15 minute convo about drug trafficking and the murders of Biggie and Tupac.

True story too.

We all ended up getting in but it just goes to show you that our interviewers are actual people too.
Not true, tupac still alive.

Just pick like 1 or 2 clubs in med school and volunteer through there. My school forced us to put in hours every semester. I was involved alot in one club, became an officer and filled out space on ERAS with the stuff I did there. My volunteering was brought up on interviews because it helped emphasize my "passion" for a certain population and I was involved in mentoring and they liked that.

FYI I did the bare minimum my school required but I spoke about it with enthusiasm that it didnt matter.

My school forces us to do community service during the first year. Can we include it on ERAS even though it wasn't technically "volunteering"?

And is it really the case that "no one cares about volunteering" or do most people actually do something to fill out the blanks? I did some research but no volunteering other than what the school required... hm... sorry, panicky thoughts begin to set in.

Thank goodness. We're being trained for a freaking job not to sprout unicorns and rainbows

I love this.

You just gotta keep it real. It's bout about WHAT you say, but HOW you say it honestly.

True story too.

Suge Knight, I am convinced