Imposter syndrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTTELl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone feels this way? I just started my program a month ago and I’m already feeling like I don’t belong here.
Please tell me it gets better :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes it does get better!! I've struggled with that a lot, and honestly I feel like everyone experiences this at some point in their lives. Remember that you're here for a reason, you got into this program for a reason, the classmates that you look up to because you think that they are SO smart, they have insecurities as well. Pick yourself up, you got this! :)

Anyone feels this way? I just started my program a month ago and I’m already feeling like I don’t belong here.
Please tell me it gets better :(
Haha my entire cohort feels that way, we're in our third tri. Our profs tell us that's normal.
I know that doesn't help, but at least you know you're right there with the rest of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to some of my classmates and apparently I’m not alone. After bombing a test and barely passing my 1st anatomy practical I felt like such failure. Specially after I found out many of my other classmates got As. It definitely felt like I didn’t belong here and I didn’t even know how I made it this far. The self doubt was real!
I do enjoy everything I’m learning and I look forward going to school every day, but I can’t lie and say I’m okay with Bs and B- specially since I was an A student throughout HS and college. Not performing at the same standards in graduate school really made me feel like crap and messed up my confidence.
Thank you everyone for the kind words.

There was a really good article posted maybe 6 months ago on studentdoctor about this issue. I would search it out it was a good read.

Keep going. I did horribly my first month. I failed my first skills practical twice and had to petition to take it a second time. My second term wasn't much better. I was on the brink the entire time. Everyone thinks everyone else is doing great, but everyone is struggling and has plenty of insecurity. It's part of the process.

Reactions: 2 users
Those who feel inadequate in a position they worked hard to place themselves in, usually have a unique perspective on resiliency. Keep it up. Work hard. Stay humble.

Reactions: 1 user