Improve your AMCAS application with one weird trick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Purge every sentence that begins with the word "as."

Experience: Medical scribe
Description: As a medical scribe, I...

Experience: Student ambassador
Description: As a student ambassador, I...

Experience: Research technician
Description: As a research technician, I...

Experience: Rape crisis hotline volunteer
Description: As a rape crisis hotline volunteer, I...

Experience: The rains down in Africa
Description: As the rains down in Africa, I...

Seriously, my eyes are bleeding.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
How about, "when I moonlighted as a vigilante, I..."
the-dark-knight-original.jpeg

thanks for the advice!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a pupper I feel necessary to ask WHY so many faculties, physicians, adcoms in this forum have cat avatars? Am I disadvantaged?

Reactions: 12 users
As a pupper I feel necessary to ask WHY so many faculties, physicians, adcoms in this forum have cat avatars? Am I disadvantaged?
Yes.

Dogs are natural sycophants. If they could talk, they'd say "You're the most wonderful person in the history of the Universe!"

You have to be special to earn the love of a cat.

Reactions: 8 users
Like this? Welp brb getting ready for another re-application.

Dogs+alltheway_d65644_5108010.jpg

Reactions: 17 users
If someone were to stumble upon this thread, they would think we are a pet-enthusiast forum. Srsly, I think the takeaway is that you should always include a cat in your secondary photo :p

Reactions: 2 users

To paraphrase @wingedscapula , Reddit is like dogs. on premed Reddit everything and everyone is awesome and everyone thinks everyone else will succeed at everything they set their mind to.

SDN is cats.

Reactions: 10 users
If someone were to stumble upon this thread, they would think we are a pet-enthusiast forum. Srsly, I think the takeaway is that you should always include a cat in your secondary photo :p

Is this the pre-vet forum?? ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Purge every sentence that begins with the word "as."

Experience: Medical scribe
Description: As a medical scribe, I...

Experience: Student ambassador
Description: As a student ambassador, I...

Experience: Research technician
Description: As a research technician, I...

Experience: Rape crisis hotline volunteer
Description: As a rape crisis hotline volunteer, I...

Experience: The rains down in Africa
Description: As the rains down in Africa, I...

Seriously, my eyes are bleeding.

Hi, just a quick question. I have to list two roles under one organization(Scholarship Chair and then President). Is it okay for me to describe what I've done in each role using this phrase "As the scholarship chair, I ..." and "Later, as the president, I..."

I really can't find a better way to discuss the different works I have done under these two roles without using "As..." :(

Hi, just a quick question. I have to list two roles under one organization(Scholarship Chair and then President). Is it okay for me to describe what I've done in each role using this phrase "As the scholarship chair, I ..." and "Later, as the president, I..."

I really can't find a better way to discuss the different works I have done under these two roles without using "As..." :(

You could do something like "My roles as scholarship chair included: blah blah.... Later on as the president I did blah blah". Honestly, I think the point here is just don't use "As" as your starting word excessively not avoid all usage of it obsessively.

"Scholarship Chair: _. President: _."

Done.

Reactions: 1 user
That's solid advice! I did that many times in my previous app. What I didn't realize is that the reader already knew what/who I was based on the title/organization info. Don't need to tell them again that you're a scribe/president of club/best student of your class.