Improve your chances for pharmacy school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
another quick question...i think it's obvious, but i would like to ask anyway:

when applying, can i apply to, let's say, four schools on one particular date and then apply to the other two or whatever on another particular date? or do all of them have to be submitted at the same time?

PharmCAS schools, it will all be done at the same time.

And rolling admissions start reviewing their app's as soon as their application becomes available. So if they put their online application July 1st, they could very well review your application if you have it all done by July 4th. And different schools do different things. One school may have 2 week intervals of reviewing app's while another may have a person reviewing as he receives them.

I'm not trying make everyone all anal about what exact day to submit. My main point is to submit ASAP. If the app becomes available July 1st, then it'd be great to have everything sent in before August comes around. Simple as that.

Members don't see this ad.

If I want to apply as early decision,Can I apply to a school having maybe 1 or 2 pre-req left to be completed or I need to have everything before I apply?

Pls anyone that knows should enlighten me because Pharmcas Application starts in less that 2 weeks.

Thanks everyone cos this site is great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply- even w/out the courses completed. Many people do this and adcoms don't care as long as you finish the prereq's.

for people that applied withing the first couple weeks of June to schools with rolling admissions, how long did it take until you heard a response?

UGA is not a Pharmcas school nor do they have rolling admissions. However, I plan on applying (using their application) right after I take the PCAT in June. However, I may register for the October test, so should I mention that via a phone call to the admissions office, later on?

Okay question for everyone. I am on two waitlists-at both Midwestern campus' and I am getting ready to reapply for next year in case I don't get in. Should I apply as early as possible-or wait to see if I get pulled from the waitlist? I am just so confused of what to do cause I hate wasting the money.

Great thread! Lots of useful info! First let me say I am anal about all of this stuff lol So I like to know EVERYTHING I need to know to be successful...what to do to submit a good app...EVERYTHING.
So here's my question:
In regards to submitting an application to a PharmCAS school.
Can I submit my supplemental application...and submit my transcript and everything like that without my PCAT scores and references. Then I would have my references submit there letters...then have my PCAT score sent to PharmCAS as soon as it became available after the first June test date.

I guess to clarify my question through all the above babbling I'm really asking this: What can I submit first with PharmCAS and what am I able to submit at a later date. And will this hurt me at all...and do pharmacy schools wait until ALL the info is in before they review or make any kind of decision?

Thanks!

-Tiffany

I don't see why you can't do that, but you must also remember that if you don't have EVERYTHING, your file is being viewed as incomplete. So it doesn't matter when you send it in, if you don't have your PCAT and LORs, you won't get an interview assuming that you're qualified for one.

I don't see why you can't do that, but you must also remember that if you don't have EVERYTHING, your file is being viewed as incomplete. So it doesn't matter when you send it in, if you don't have your PCAT and LORs, you won't get an interview assuming that you're qualified for one.

Okay, thanks for clarifying that for me. Assuming I take the first PCAT offered, probably around June 20something. About how long will it take for my school to receive my PCAT score.

-Tiffany

Okay, thanks for clarifying that for me. Assuming I take the first PCAT offered, probably around June 20something. About how long will it take for my school to receive my PCAT score.

-Tiffany

If I remember from other posts it's 6-8 weeks. I've never taken the PCAT though, so you might check the PCAT discussion forum to double check.

You wait for 4-6 weeks for the PCAT results. Pharmcas doesn't even send your application out until August, so you have plenty of time to complete your application.

i have a question, i want to apply early, like RIGHT NOW, however i just took the pcat in june and did extremely bad, so i'm taking it again in august to do better hopefully, BUT what if they received my application and then my pcat scores, and the review my application with a horrible pcat score...what should i do? should i wait untill my AUG pcat is available which is probably in like october???

Members don't see this ad :)
another quick question...i think it's obvious, but i would like to ask anyway:

when applying, can i apply to, let's say, four schools on one particular date and then apply to the other two or whatever on another particular date? or do all of them have to be submitted at the same time?

You can add schools later on if you want to, but unless you have a good reason to wait, just go ahead and submit them.

My big question is that will schools start reviewing your application w/o the PCAT scores or do they put the application "on hold" until they receive the PCAT scores? I will take the PCAT in August and the results will not be available two ro three weeks later. I am also taking summer courses so can I still send in my transcript with the courses in progress? I plan to complete the prereqs by spring 2008 but my hours right now are about 45 without the ten summer hours now. I also heard that some schools don't factor in courses like Pre-Calc and College Algebra if you took that before you were able to take Calculus???

My big question is that will schools start reviewing your application w/o the PCAT scores or do they put the application "on hold" until they receive the PCAT scores? I will take the PCAT in August and the results will not be available two ro three weeks later. I am also taking summer courses so can I still send in my transcript with the courses in progress? I plan to complete the prereqs by spring 2008 but my hours right now are about 45 without the ten summer hours now. I also heard that some schools don't factor in courses like Pre-Calc and College Algebra if you took that before you were able to take Calculus???

Take what you "hear" with a grain of salt. Read and interpret the information. Also understand that each school has a unique admissions process - therefore one school may care about some classes, while others may not. Some schools have a very early / quick application cycle, while others take literally all year long. For specific information about a program - spend the time to contact them directly - it will give you talk time with someone, and will also get you your answer from the horses mouth.

~above~

So do you recomend getting a degree first especially if your gpa is low. because My gpa is not very competitve. Before I was going to try and just do the prereqs and apply but My gpa is making me think I should get a degree first to make myself my competitive. I plan on taking the Pcat in august. My gpa is a 3.1. Any advice would be awesome I am kind of overwhelmed. :confused:

So do you think it is best to get a degree first if your gpa is low. i mean what are my chances of getting in with only prereqs a low gpa and no pharmacy expereince?

So do you recomend getting a degree first especially if your gpa is low. because My gpa is not very competitve. Before I was going to try and just do the prereqs and apply but My gpa is making me think I should get a degree first to make myself my competitive. I plan on taking the Pcat in august. My gpa is a 3.1. Any advice would be awesome I am kind of overwhelmed. :confused:

A degree does slightly compensate for a lower GPA as many people with degrees have taken more difficult courses. However, a 3.1 is a little low degree or no degree, and it's not impossible to get in with a 3.1. I would just get your application ready but wait for your PCAT scores before making a final decision.

How much pharmacy experience do you have? Also, do you have a time-consuming job?

hi, does anyone have a list of pharm schools that have rolling admissions? (and which ones are private schools) - please do reply to me! thank you =)

This is really good! Thanks!!:laugh:

i have a question, i want to apply early, like RIGHT NOW, however i just took the pcat in june and did extremely bad, so i'm taking it again in august to do better hopefully, BUT what if they received my application and then my pcat scores, and the review my application with a horrible pcat score...what should i do? should i wait untill my AUG pcat is available which is probably in like october???

I recommend you wait until your AUG PCAT score is available. Based on your score in AUG PCAT you will know which pharmacy schools you should apply to or if you should apply at all this year.

I recommend applying only if you do better than 70 percent people who take the exam (composite score) and if you score above 60 on biology and chemistry.

good luck!

Transformer,
You do know, don't you, that you are answering a question that was asked over a year ago?

I'll bite, I was wondering, should I Esubmit my application without the full ELOR? and waiting for august pcat score to go in(well when I take it in august). From the look of this thread, its best to get as much as done as possible and submit even if its not completely done.

I'll bite, I was wondering, should I Esubmit my application without the full ELOR? and waiting for august pcat score to go in(well when I take it in august). From the look of this thread, its best to get as much as done as possible and submit even if its not completely done.

If you're only waiting on ELORs and PCAT scores, just esubmit your application already. There's nothing you can really do in terms of PCAT scores but wait for them to come in anyway, and as for ELORs, you can only hassle your references so much to get the recommendations in and if they don't respond, you can always add a new reference to the list.

Even with the OP's post, at least 50 percent of the people won't listen and will be reapplying next year.

To the OP: thats really good advice.

schools that don't participate in rolling admissions look at all their applications at one time not taking into account WHEN it was turned in

schools that participate in rolling admissions look at applications in "tiers" meaning they'll first take a look at all the applications turned in by...lets say september, then a few months later they'll look at applications turned in between september and january, etc.
basically the earlier you turn in your application, the quicker they'll look at it, and the less you'll have to compete w/ others since most of the people won't have even turned theirs in yet--and the higher your chances of being granted an interview and/or admitted

Hmmmm

Where can I find a list of schools that offer rolling admissions?

im guessing PBA? tht is the newest so far tht just got accreditted

anyways, one piece of advice tht people forget to mention is BE YOURSELF!!!!!!
people dont understand how important it is to just be who you are rather than be what you think the adcom expect you to be. you may be surprised that the chill, laid back kind of person is what they were looking for. So no matter what, be yourself in your essays, your interview and everything. this is not to say to forget practicing or anything.. you should prepare in any way you can, but just dont leave out your true personality.

This is so true. Every job interview I had, i was always myself. And I never was rejected from an interview .:D Hopefully I dont get rejected for pharmacy school :eek:

Man this thread really makes me love SDN even more! So much info here...I am really encouraged!:)

I applied on Dec 11...my transcripts are already verified and I already have all my recommendations done...I am applying to 5 schools with a 3.85 GPA...will take the PCATs in Jan...
I know people always say apply early! but I just decided to attend pharmacy school recently! so will I get in this year? what are my chances??? Thanks OP for posting this thread! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I applied on Dec 11...my transcripts are already verified and I already have all my recommendations done...I am applying to 5 schools with a 3.85 GPA...will take the PCATs in Jan...
I know people always say apply early! but I just decided to attend pharmacy school recently! so will I get in this year? what are my chances??? Thanks OP for posting this thread! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I would say you have a good chance but I do have a question for you. How many semesters have you spent in college? Freshman gpa counts quite a bit but if you are grounded in more years of college and have shown a trend for excellence, then your chances improves dramatically.

I would say you have a good chance but I do have a question for you. How many semesters have you spent in college? Freshman gpa counts quite a bit but if you are grounded in more years of college and have shown a trend for excellence, then your chances improves dramatically.

awwww...thanks! you are so encouraging! :D My GPA was actually a lot better my freshman, sophomore and junior year in college. I believe my GPA my freshman year was 3.97, sophmore was 3.86 and Junior was 3.92
my overall GPA and sGPA has always been above a 3.9 until my senior year...I got super LAZY and made a C in a stupid women's studies class which brought my senior GPA to a 3.5 and my overall to a 3.85! :mad:
SO my trend has actually gone DOWN but I was in undergrad for 4 years and got a degree...however I haven't taken the PCAT yet..I heard from some people that if you haven't taken the PCAT yet and want to get into Pharm school Fall 2009....you are applying super late and will need to make a 90+ to have a chance! is that true!! I am kinda scared so I am reading kaplan everyday! :scared:

Lastly, I just emailed Lecom at Lake Erie! did you know they won't take summer classes? I told them I will take public speaking spring 2009 and statistics summer 2009 and they told me I have to take statistics spring 2009!!!!! WHY?????????
there is absolutly NO more opening for stats in my college and I am so scared about not getting into Lecome this year!!! Did you know they don't take summer classes? do you know why? I thought they start Sept 2009? why not let me take a summer class from June to July???? I am not happy! :mad:

Lastly, I just emailed Lecom at Lake Erie! did you know they won't take summer classes? I told them I will take public speaking spring 2009 and statistics summer 2009 and they told me I have to take statistics spring 2009!!!!! WHY?????????
there is absolutly NO more opening for stats in my college and I am so scared about not getting into Lecome this year!!! Did you know they don't take summer classes? do you know why? I thought they start Sept 2009? why not let me take a summer class from June to July???? I am not happy! :mad:

Is LECOM-E the only school that you plan on going to? If so, you have to ask yourself why exactly so. With that being said, if you look at the LECOM requirements page for the school of pharmacy, it says it requires 3 credits of statistics but no public speaking. However, public speaking is a requirement for many pharmacy schools. So what I would do if you want a shot at Erie would be to cross register at another college and take the course there.

awwww...thanks! you are so encouraging! :D My GPA was actually a lot better my freshman, sophomore and junior year in college. I believe my GPA my freshman year was 3.97, sophmore was 3.86 and Junior was 3.92
my overall GPA and sGPA has always been above a 3.9 until my senior year...I got super LAZY and made a C in a stupid women's studies class which brought my senior GPA to a 3.5 and my overall to a 3.85! :mad:
SO my trend has actually gone DOWN but I was in undergrad for 4 years and got a degree...however I haven't taken the PCAT yet..I heard from some people that if you haven't taken the PCAT yet and want to get into Pharm school Fall 2009....you are applying super late and will need to make a 90+ to have a chance! is that true!! I am kinda scared so I am reading kaplan everyday! :scared:

Most schools will not take the January 2009 PCAT. Their web pages specifically state this fact. I don't think you could score a 99 and have a chance because:

it takes 4-6 weeks to get the results back
it takes a week for PharmCAS to process this score
it takes a few weeks for PharmCAS to update your application and mail it

by this time, it is March-April and a majority of colleges have their 2009 classes already filled.

Is LECOM-E the only school that you plan on going to? If so, you have to ask yourself why exactly so. With that being said, if you look at the LECOM requirements page for the school of pharmacy, it says it requires 3 credits of statistics but no public speaking. However, public speaking is a requirement for many pharmacy schools. So what I would do if you want a shot at Erie would be to cross register at another college and take the course there.

I am also applying to South, Mercer, Campbell, and VCU. Those schools require public speaking...
I applied to Lecom b/c of the cheap tuition and its a THREE year program! :D

Most schools will not take the January 2009 PCAT. Their web pages specifically state this fact. I don't think you could score a 99 and have a chance because:

it takes 4-6 weeks to get the results back
it takes a week for PharmCAS to process this score
it takes a few weeks for PharmCAS to update your application and mail it

by this time, it is March-April and a majority of colleges have their 2009 classes already filled.

You are right most schools don't take the Jan PCAT. However, I called Campbell, South and Mercer (my top three choices)
And they all say that they will take the Jan PCAT scores and interview thru April and May.
South even told me to directly mail my PCAT scores to them so it will speed up the process.
I hope those schools mean what they said. I wanted to apply to Wingate too, but they told me the chances are so small that I shouldn't apply, so they were honest with me. So I didn't apply there.
But you are right in that my chances are def not as good as someone that applied very early.

Yeah, I made mistake of waiting til the last day to submit my supplemental to my other school and now I'm playing the waiting game!

You got into Kentucky which is GREAT! :thumbup: I really reallllllllly want to get into South, so I can graduate 2012! haha... Do you know anything about Mercer, South or Campbell?
Anyone?

What are some good examples of things I can do as far as community service, I really haven't done alot of that besides give blood.

What are some good examples of things I can do as far as community service, I really haven't done alot of that besides give blood.

If you are still in college right now, NOW is a good time to join a lot of clubs b/c clubs usually have a lot of opportunities to get together with members and do a lot of community service. All the community service that I did was during undergrad while I was in clubs. Sororities gives lots of opportuntites too. :)

I'm not in college yet but I will be going to community college this coming fall, I'm not sure how many things they offer as far as clubs though.

I have zero community service or volunteering. However, I am a supporter of the Red Cross, Heifer International, and UNICEF USA (or I was when I was still working and could send them a check every month), and I mentioned it during my interviews.

At the University of Minnesota, my interviewer actually knew what Heifer International was, because he supported it as well. Kinda fortuitous, no?

I have zero community service or volunteering. However, I am a supporter of the Red Cross, Heifer International, and UNICEF USA (or I was when I was still working and could send them a check every month), and I mentioned it during my interviews.

At the University of Minnesota, my interviewer actually knew what Heifer International was, because he supported it as well. Kinda fortuitous, no?

Nothing against what you've done but I don't think sending money should be viewed in the same way as actually doing hands on volunteer work.

Nothing against what you've done but I don't think sending money should be viewed in the same way as actually doing hands on volunteer work.

I agree. Volunteering has expanded my own views of the healthcare system tremendously and help me develop an appreciation of the multitude of health professionals out there. Nothing, trumps experience.

It all depends on how you view it. While I was an undergrad, I was part of my school's Honors Program. I had to take Honors classes and complete my Biology and Accounting degrees in 8 semesters (that was how long my scholarship would last). When I graduated in May, I had completed 209 credit hours, meaning I took an average of 26 hours every semester. In addition, I worked 20 hours every week, with the bulk of my hours during the weekends. In my busiest semester, I had a day when I would take classes and labs from 8am to 5pm, eat dinner between 5 and 6, and take a night class from 6 to 9.

I told the schools that since I was this busy, it was hard to give my time, and so I did the next best thing and gave my money instead. But motivations matter. I would not suggest that a person support charity just so they can look good during pharmacy school interviews. I did it because I believed in what these organizations did for people. Giving your money may not equal volunteering, but what you do with your money says just as much about you as what you do with your time. And sometimes it may be the only option that's available to you. When I read on Yahoo! news that residents of Burma had to walk hours and cross the border into Thailand in order to receive medical treatment at a border clinic, I could not just up and go to Thailand, even though I cared. So I looked up the border clinic mentioned in the news article and sent them a check.

Many schools try to recruit people who care for their fellow human beings. Whether you give of your time or your money, what matters is the underlying motivation, and it is that you care.

It all depends on how you view it. While I was an undergrad, I was part of my school's Honors Program. I had to take Honors classes and complete my Biology and Accounting degrees in 8 semesters (that was how long my scholarship would last). When I graduated in May, I had completed 209 credit hours, meaning I took an average of 26 hours every semester. In addition, I worked 20 hours every week, with the bulk of my hours during the weekends. In my busiest semester, I had a day when I would take classes and labs from 8am to 5pm, eat dinner between 5 and 6, and take a night class from 6 to 9.

I told the schools that since I was this busy, it was hard to give my time, and so I did the next best thing and gave my money instead. But motivations matter. I would not suggest that a person support charity just so they can look good during pharmacy school interviews. I did it because I believed in what these organizations did for people. Giving your money may not equal volunteering, but what you do with your money says just as much about you as what you do with your time. And sometimes it may be the only option that's available to you. When I read on Yahoo! news that residents of Burma had to walk hours and cross the border into Thailand in order to receive medical treatment at a border clinic, I could not just up and go to Thailand, even though I cared. So I looked up the border clinic mentioned in the news article and sent them a check.

Many schools try to recruit people who care for their fellow human beings. Whether you give of your time or your money, what matters is the underlying motivation, and it is that you care.

well said:thumbup:
I'm the kind of the person what would go out there and give a helping hand. But without the financial help from sponsors and donors like you, things might not be as smooth and easy. Anyway, you have really good point. We volunteers and those in need greatly appreciate your help whether it's in form of physical or financial.

GIVING is the keyword