Improving application/retake mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is it worth retaking a 508?

• yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • no

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

Mr.Lahey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

First Time poster looking for advice on how to improve my application to Medical school.

Stats: GPA: 3.84, sGPA: 3.8, MCAT: 508 (128,126,126,128)

EC:
  • 50 Hr. Shadowing
  • Teaching Assistant for 3 years
  • ER Patient ambassador (volunteer)
  • ER Scribe (paid)
  • 1 year of research with no publications
  • President of a Medically oriented community service club at my university
  • Organized several Blood drives for my school
This past cycle I interviewed with 2 state schools, but I have yet to hear back and it is already March. I feel that I need to plan for a gap year so that I can put out a better application next cycle. Rather than worrying about what will happen with these 2 schools, I want to take action and prepare for next year. I am considering retaking the MCAT, do you think the risk of a retake would be worth it in my case?If any of you have ideas on how to improve my chances for next year I would be very grateful for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

when you say have yet to hear back, do you mean waitlisted or just that those schools haven't made a decision yet? because those are very different circumstances.

it also depends on what schools you're aiming for. since you received IIs, it probably means there were no serious red flags in your application. that then leaves your interviewing skills or other possible concerns such as perhaps overly optimistic school list, fit, secondary turnaround time etc.

your MCAT score is decently competitive, and if you retake, there always runs the risk of scoring lower. if you can improve 2-3 points, it might be worth it. tweaking your school list, adding more experiences, and getting more eyeballs on your ps and secondaries would be the route I'd go.

If you got IIs, it means you are in good shape. Unless you are planning to raise your score by like 7-10 points, retaking the MCAT might be a risk. I retook mine and raised my score by 7 points and I got 3 II.

If I was in your situation, I would focus my energy on doing something extraordinary with one or a couple of your EC. Come up with a program to facilitate services or work on a project that you can lead or make a difference. Your list of EC is good. Doing something that sets you apart in any of those would be your golden ticket.

Decisions could take time for some non-obvious reasons. You could easily be accepted or being considered in the next round. Also, wait lists are not a bad place to be, if that were the case. To give you an idea, many desirable schools have yields of 49% or less. It means that more than half of their matriculating class comes from the wait list.

I would not retake the 508. I think you should contact schools that rejected you and ask for advice on why they did. Then spend the next year improving these areas. But honestly, you could very well just end up getting into one of these two schools before the cycle is over. I do respect how you're planning ahead though. Expect the best, but prepare for the worst!