Other OT-Related Information Improving fine motor skills in a 19 yo with Autism?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shahseh22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Please delete if not allowed. Looking for some OT related advice on a case.

I'm in Psychiatry so a little bit of a different field, but I have a 19 yo kid with Autism and Intellectual deficits (he was diagnosed super late). He has a lot of issues with being able to manage his hygiene and with small fine motor tasks (though gross motor things are relatively ok). He can't tie his own shoes and requires extra assistance after he uses the restroom. I've suggested possibly looking into OT but his father (who is 62 and is kind of fed up of taking care of him doesn't think it will make a difference at this stage). I'm just wondering if there is any benefit to learning any skills or has most of the neuroplasticity already taken place?

I feel bad for this poor kid as he is really a sweetheart with some potential and I want him to pursue this option if it will help. Other downside is that since COVID has hit, there is limitations of getting someone to do it in person (a lot of stuff is via Zoom) and the places that are possible are at least 20-30 miles away.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Members don't see this ad.

Occupational therapy can consider further means to adapt when the layperson thinks all options are exhausted. The team should look at the occupational bottom line: what assistance can be minimized so that he can use the restroom. Reducing barriers through the environmental setup and task modification will decrease the burden on actual skill-building on the 19-year-old and his father who is burnt out. Autism and the intellectual deficit will benefit from concrete and simple expectations during teaching, modeling, and coaching. A checklist with pictures and consistent language will help reinforce instructions. Compensation for certain variables will make the actual fine motor skill building more salient.

Reactions: 1 user
2nd year student here - sounds like this client would be a great candidate for OT. Neuroplasticity is fluid, and can even be developed into old age. Sounds like he has some praxis, motor planning, executive functioning issues. A lot of the other suggestions in the previous comment are super relevant as well. I would definitely suggest getting a OT consult and screening/eval if possible.