Improving Verbal Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j49sun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear MCAT gurus,

I won't be studying for the MCAT until Jan 2014, and the exam date will probably situate around end of April.

I was wondering what is the best way to prepare/improve my verbal skills with the 5 months that I have right now until January.

Also, when you are reading articles, what kind of questions should you always ask yourself?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dear MCAT gurus,

I won't be studying for the MCAT until Jan 2014, and the exam date will probably situate around end of April.

I was wondering what is the best way to prepare/improve my verbal skills with the 5 months that I have right now until January.

Also, when you are reading articles, what kind of questions should you always ask yourself?

Thanks!

Just reading articles is not going to be nearly as high-yield as practice passages. But what the hell, here are some general life tips for high-level reading comprehension.

1. Ask yourself: What is the author's opinion?
2. Ask yourself: What biases does the author have? Are they aware of them or not?
3. Ask yourself: What does the author want ME to think? (do not confuse #1 and #3)
4. Ask yourself: Am I the audience for this? If not, who is? How does that influence the writing choices being made?

For journal articles, do not read from beginning to end. Read: Abstract, tables/figures, methods, discussion, intro (intro is often unnecessary). Understand each graph or figure and why the authors chose it.

With 5 months, critical reading will have some yield, though it is difficult to say to what degree. What is certain is that it cannot hurt. If I were in your position, I would read book reports (art, philosophy) from the NYT, polarizing op-eds, or other sophisticated pieces from reputable sources. While reading, evaluate the pieces for the authors occupation, his attention, his audience, his main point, whether or not claims made are supported by evidence, and what else the author is likely to support. Additionally, it's imperative that you understand how emerging information may affect the author's opinion or the validity of his claims.

I highly recommend skipping all the suggestions from the test prep companies. I tried a couple different ones and it wasn't until I fully read the passage, thought of a 2 sentence summary, and allowed myself to go back to the passage for things I didn't remember that my score actually shot up 3 points in just 1 FL. And I agree with previous posts. Everything you read you must be critical of what the author is saying, look for biases, and try to keep your opinion out of your thinking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all your help!

My other question stemmed from this is that how do you know how accurately you are addressing those questions while you are reading? If all you are just answering these questions without knowing the real answers or receiving any feedbacks, how can you improve over time?

I have managed to get my verbal scores from 50-55% up to mid 60's in approximately a month (which I believe is about an 8). I need a 10 for sure, hoping for an 11. I have not put much time in. I started doing 4 passages a day last week. I am reading the passages at a good pace and taking 7 minutes/passage to complete them. I have not been marking the passages. I don't follow any specific method, although I have heard EK's method of eliminating wrong answers down to the least wrong, instead of looking for the right answer works well.

Am I on the right track? I plan on making photocopies so I can mark passages starting Monday, and hope to stay at 7 minutes/passage.

*Write MCAT September 7th.

Thanks for all your help!

My other question stemmed from this is that how do you know how accurately you are addressing those questions while you are reading? If all you are just answering these questions without knowing the real answers or receiving any feedbacks, how can you improve over time?

If I'm understanding you correctly, this is where going over incorrect and correct answers come in. AAMC and the exam prep companies give explanations for right and wrong answers. Keep in mind, the AAMC logic is the only one that really counts because they make the test.

1) Obtain copies of The Economist.
2) Find obscure article on eastern european political policy/South American economic decisions (aka find the least interesting topic).
3) Speed read and be able to summarize every opinion and point the author makes.

Rinse, repeat. Source - me, yet to fall under double digit verbal.

Is verbal just a harder version of the critical reading from the SAT? If so, good, cause I'll know how to prepare for it/what to expect.

Verbal is definitely the hardest to improve. Having said that, I agree with the advice to disregard the test prep companies' advice (except for exam krackers). That is to say, don't try any gimmicks. Read the passage from beginning to end FOCUSED. I found that focus and mental clarity were the most important aspects for me. Trying to skim the passage, then read the questions or w/e Kaplan advises just left me scrambling. If you pace yourself, you have like 8 minutes per passage. Reading the passage carefully only takes a couple of minutes - and it will greatly assist in remembering the finer details, main points, tone, and layout of the passage. If you need to find a specific detail, you will have much more success this way. Also, the answers tend to be rather tame (e.g. cautiously optimistic vs condemning etc), so you can typically rule out a couple answers immediately. Any question asking you for conclusions from the passage will be extremely literal. There will be trap answers that seem like a logical inference, but only because you may have a personal belief or value regarding the topic. So another key is to read the passage completely unbiased. Take what the writer says as fact, and try to follow their logic.

Perhaps a slightly radical approach, but you can practice by reading viewpoints of people with whom you disagree (to get the detachment down), and really stale and boring articles (to get the focus down). Its tough to stay objective when reading a passage about murdering kittens, or focused when reading a passage about suit fabrics.

The Princeton Review Hyperlearning Verbal workbook is an EXCELLENT resource, and is commonly sold on SDN.

tldr: Practice reading the passages intently without drawing on outside experiences and beliefs.

Verbal is definitely the hardest to improve. Having said that, I agree with the advice to disregard the test prep companies' advice (except for exam krackers). That is to say, don't try any gimmicks. Read the passage from beginning to end FOCUSED. I found that focus and mental clarity were the most important aspects for me. Trying to skim the passage, then read the questions or w/e Kaplan advises just left me scrambling. If you pace yourself, you have like 8 minutes per passage. Reading the passage carefully only takes a couple of minutes - and it will greatly assist in remembering the finer details, main points, tone, and layout of the passage. If you need to find a specific detail, you will have much more success this way. Also, the answers tend to be rather tame (e.g. cautiously optimistic vs condemning etc), so you can typically rule out a couple answers immediately. Any question asking you for conclusions from the passage will be extremely literal. There will be trap answers that seem like a logical inference, but only because you may have a personal belief or value regarding the topic. So another key is to read the passage completely unbiased. Take what the writer says as fact, and try to follow their logic.

Perhaps a slightly radical approach, but you can practice by reading viewpoints of people with whom you disagree (to get the detachment down), and really stale and boring articles (to get the focus down). Its tough to stay objective when reading a passage about murdering kittens, or focused when reading a passage about suit fabrics.

The Princeton Review Hyperlearning Verbal workbook is an EXCELLENT resource, and is commonly sold on SDN.

tldr: Practice reading the passages intently without drawing on outside experiences and beliefs.
Thanks that was really helpful.

Where is the official store to purchase the Princeton Review Hyperlearning Verbal workbook? I can't seem to find it on the Princeton Review website.