In a deep deep depression should I just drop my classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBatman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I've been barely holding on this semester. I've been giving it everything I got and that has barely been enough. Now my GF of three years just left me and put me in a deep depression. I can barely function any more, I know it's going to take time for me to recover but will it look worse for me to get straight C's and possibly even F's or all W's? Thanks ahead for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Try to take a medical leave. Take care.

Attachments

• I know that feel.jpg
    I know that feel.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 87
Ok so I've been barely holding on this semester. I've been giving it everything I got and that has barely been enough. Now my GF of three years just left me and put me in a deep depression. I can barely function any more, I know it's going to take time for me to recover but will it look worse for me to get straight C's and possibly even F's or all W's? Thanks ahead for the input.

If you're positive you're going to get all C's and possibly F's...take a medical leave of absence..and if that includes taking W's, go ahead and take them. I'm sure you'll easily be able to explain why you had to leave school mid-semester due to an illness.

Chill out, go travel somewhere, teach english overseas...you're free for at least 3 months...take advantage of this free time.

Members don't see this ad :)
My sister has been in a similar situation. Her bf left her right before finals week and she was so upset that she barely passed a couple of her finals. I know it's tough, but you've got to pull yourself together and FOCUS. Think about it this way: If you had to choose between your exgirlfriend and medical school, you would pick medical school (hopefully). Therefore, she does not have a high enough priority for you to compromise your GPA. Go exercise, hang out with your friends, or take up a research position - just do SOMETHING constructive to take your mind off your breakup and also benefit you in the long run.

actually the above posters are right, take a break (sorry for the misguided advice)

My sister has been in a similar situation. Her bf left her right before finals week and she was so upset that she barely passed a couple of her finals. I know it's tough, but you've got to pull yourself together and FOCUS. Think about it this way: If you had to choose between your exgirlfriend and medical school, you would pick medical school (hopefully). Therefore, she does not have a high enough priority for you to compromise your GPA. Go exercise, hang out with your friends, or take up a research position - just do SOMETHING constructive to take your mind off your breakup and also benefit you in the long run.

I'm sorry, but I think this is terrible advice.

Emotional depression is not something you can just mentally willpower over. Unless you've been in one of those heart-wrenching breakups, you have no idea what OP is going through.

I'm sorry, but I think this is terrible advice.

Emotional depression is not something you can just mentally willpower over. Unless you've been in one of those heart-wrenching breakups, you have no idea what OP is going through.

I was the believer before that getting over a girl would be so easy. I mean come on it's not like a death in the family or I have cancer. Boy was I wrong I never thought I would experience this much pain, lesson learned never to underestimate anything.

I was the believer before that getting over a girl would be so easy. I mean come on it's not like a death in the family or I have cancer. Boy was I wrong I never thought I would experience this much pain, lesson learned never to underestimate anything.

Happens to 80% of people at some point or another, I'd wager. I remember when it happened to me..it was hell. That said, looking back on it now, many years out, it was a great learning experience and a part of life that I wouldn't trade. Time will help heal wounds.

Wait, are you in college or medical school?

I was in same situation a year ago. I still regret that I didn't take medical leave. I think you need help. Talk to your adviser, use your school counseling center, get evaluated and take medical leave.

Sounds like a rough time, sorry to hear that friend. I would recommend trying to get connected with a counselor at your school, they can be really helpful in times like these. Try and find out if there is a counseling center at your school or even somewhere they could refer you to. It can be helpful to talk to a trained professional about whats happening, and what strategies you can use to get through it. It may sound corny at first, but when you're going through something really tough, I've found it to be extremely helpful.

Has the Batman consulted their friendly list of CII study meds, CIV anxiety meds, and unregulated assortment of antidepressants ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been in this situation three times. (I totally regret not dropping a few classes as a sophomore, worst two GPAs of my career. Third time, I saw a therapist, was diagnosed bipolar and got myself together)
Honestly, you need to do what's best for you, if you stay in and fail, you'll regret it. Sometimes it just helps to take a break and clear your head (and TALK to someone, depression isn't something you just "get over". Neither is a heart break)

I don't really feel like getting into specifics, but I had an incident and had to drop. Two times. With a semester I didn't drop in between. Two semesters of W's entirely, and I've still got 5 II's off of like 12 or 13 applications. The W's don't seem to be a problem at all. I'm prepared to explain them if they come up.

I talked to someone on an AdCom at a school I applied to and he said "We view taking withdraws to avoid tanking your GPA more favorably than tanking your GPA". Withdraw. If you finish up strong, do well on the MCAT, and can explain that extenuating circumstances (even without mentioning depression) made you think W's were a better decision than struggling through with C's and D's, you should be fine. There's also the idea that a semester of W's while you focus on getting better will be better than a few-semester long battle with depression (at least) that affects your grades over a large period of time.

I'd withdraw and focus on you.Take care, man. Take care. PM me if you ever need a friend. Best of luck. :biglove:

Find out whether it will look different on your transcript to drop now versus later in the semester. If there is no consequence to dropping later, I would wait and make this decision in a few weeks when the wounds aren't so raw and it has become more clear whether you really are looking at getting less than B's.

Unless it's clinical depression and you can't fix it without drugs, man up n get through it. You're in college, why does one broad matter so much? If she doesn't wanna be with you, f*** her, show her your potential and wait for the next chic...(chics)

You're way too young to be getting this emotionally hung over some girl

That being said, if you're CONVINCED that you'll get terrible grades, withdraw so you dont f*** up your GPA, but if youre not sure how you'll do, why not just try your hardest and retake what you're not satisfied with? ? You're going to have to pay for the classes twice whether you take a leave of absence or struggle through it and retake. ...

I say you get off the mopey bs, talk to your professors, tell them you've had emotional stress, and ask what you can/should do to salvage your grades

I don't really feel like getting into specifics, but I had an incident and had to drop. Two times. With a semester I didn't drop in between. Two semesters of W's entirely, and I've still got 5 II's off of like 12 or 13 applications. The W's don't seem to be a problem at all. I'm prepared to explain them if they come up.

I talked to someone on an AdCom at a school I applied to and he said "We view taking withdraws to avoid tanking your GPA more favorably than tanking your GPA". Withdraw. If you finish up strong, do well on the MCAT, and can explain that extenuating circumstances (even without mentioning depression) made you think W's were a better decision than struggling through with C's and D's, you should be fine. There's also the idea that a semester of W's while you focus on getting better will be better than a few-semester long battle with depression (at least) that affects your grades over a large period of time.

I'd withdraw and focus on you.Take care, man. Take care. PM me if you ever need a friend. Best of luck. :biglove:

Your boyfriend broke up with you and your adcoms all had The Notebook as their pick for best movie on social commentary. I experienced 'x' and it led to me doing 'y' and it still got me a favorable shot at becoming 'z'. I see that you too are considering 'y' and considering getting a favorable shot at 'z' therefore let me encourage you to do the same since we're 2/3.

Actually I would be surprised if my primary care physician was right 67% of the time when it came to an initial diagnosis.

Been there, done that. I've been in the same spot as you and I know your situation hurts right now, but you know what else hurts? Starving to death. My point is: buck up, be grateful for what you've got (you did wake up this morning, WALKED out of your room, and breathed the fresh air today), and don't let anyone or anything drag you down. However dismal your life may seem, there's someone out there that's dumber, poorer, has less limbs, fewer friends, and a less promising future than you. Don't waste the precious potential that you have

Basically you have 2 options: quit or persevere. You're too good to quit

Best advice in this thread

Unless it's clinical depression and you can't fix it without drugs, man up n get through it. You're in college, why does one broad matter so much? If she doesn't wanna be with you, f*** her, show her your potential and wait for the next chic...(chics)

You're way too young to be getting this emotionally hung over some girl

That being said, if you're CONVINCED that you'll get terrible grades, withdraw so you dont f*** up your GPA, but if youre not sure how you'll do, why not just try your hardest and retake what you're not satisfied with? ? You're going to have to pay for the classes twice whether you take a leave of absence or struggle through it and retake. ...

I say you get off the mopey bs, talk to your professors, tell them you've had emotional stress, and ask what you can/should do to salvage your grades

Well when I try to study for an exam or do homework I can't even do 12+5 sometimes because my brain is very foggy. I haven't taken an exam yet but if I did I know I wouldn't do well.

Have you ever considered making up with your girlfriend or finding another wo/man to fill 'the void'.

Well when I try to study for an exam or do homework I can't even do 12+5 sometimes because my brain is very foggy. I haven't taken an exam yet but if I did I know I wouldn't do well.

Alot of this is mentsl, strong placebo of you being convinced this has had a real effect on your brain.

Get into the gym if you're not already, lifting weights changes lives.

Start focusing on you, and remember the people who are important in your lives, who are counting on you to succeed (parents, siblings, yourself, etc)

Just start thinking positively, do things to make yourself feel better, all the while studying for your classes.... if you're convinced that you're going to get ****ty grades, withdraw and find something productive to do until next semester. ......and again, get in the gym brah

Have you ever considered making up with your girlfriend or finding another wo/man to fill 'the void'.

Don't chase someone who doesn't want to be with you, you'll find another before/during/after when you're making physician $$$$ and saving lives :D

Focus on yourself and your grades right now, and the ppl who truly matter in your life

Last edited:
Yes. And according to the direction of 0TopCat0's advice that would be medical school adcoms.

Alot of this is mentsl, strong placebo of you being convinced this has had a real effect on your brain.

Get into the gym if you're not already, lifting weights changes lives.

Start focusing on you, and remember the people who are important in your lives, who are counting on you to succeed (parents, siblings, yourself, etc)

Just start thinking positively, do things to make yourself feel better, all the while studying for your classes.... if you're convinced that you're going to get ****ty grades, withdraw and find something productive to do until next semester. ......and again, get in the gym brah

That's funny you should mention that i'm actually a gym rat. I just began lifting weights again and have more motivation than ever before. Thanks for advice bro

0Topcat0, lettuce beef real tea, you were absolutely correct about weightlifting improving mindset. It's quite intredasting that you brought that up.............................aware?

to OP, contrary to what anyone might say, don't get on dat dere.................

you wot m8?

Hey OP I'm in a similar situation right now, luckily not in school though. Stay strong and if you are more extroverted try to dip into new social situations and meet new people to get out of your comfort zone. I realize time is limited but sometimes you just gotta make the time for yourself to experience some new perspective. Hope everything goes well.

Sorry to hear that bro. :(

Definitely take a medical leave of absence. Whatever you do, DO NOT risk lowering your GPA by getting terrible grades. It'll haunt you in the future.

My friend got dumped 3 days before Step 1. She scored better than I did. Not sure if that means anything but maybe that it's possible to turn on beast mode in times of trouble. :luck:

My friend got dumped 3 days before Step 1. She scored better than I did. Not sure if that means anything but maybe that it's possible to turn on beast mode in times of trouble. :luck:

I guess he did not mean that much to her. Happens.

But srsly, if weights do the trick, there was no need for an SDN topic.

I'm in college I hope no one thought I was in Medical school.

Batman,

I was in situations similar to yours during college. I had several rough quarters because of personal issues (relationships, family, and depression). I thought about taking W's instead of sticking it out, but I chose to stick it out. My GPA suffered as a result.

No school wants to see W's or low grades, but a semester of W's is better than one of 2.0's (or even worse, double bagels). If you cannot achieve respectable grades (>3.0; ideally >3.5+) then withdraw. Admissions committees will respect you less for either scenario, but at least the W's will not hurt your GPA. Trust me, you will struggle to increase your GPA with C's. It's hard.

For the time being I would re-group, get some help (counseling? therapy? etc...) and plan to start over. Just don't destroy your GPA. A few W's is not the end of the world. It may see like it to you now (it did then to me, and that's why I got C's instead of taking W's), but withdrawing for a term will not ruin your chances at medicine or anything else. Trust me.

good luck
:cool:

I am right there with you. The fall of 2012, EVERYTHING in my life changed at once. I fell into a SEVERE depression. I am still not out of it and am struggling this semester, also. I had just returned from study abroad, I had no relationship with my mom, my bf of 3 1/2 years broke up with me (and I continued to live with him, I had no choice), my dad lost his job, etc., etc. Not to mention I had struggled with depression before this. I made it through the fall semester okay, but in the spring I tanked. I WISH I WOULD HAVE TAKEN THAT SEMESTER OFF AND GOTTEN HELP. I never got help.

Now, I am struggling with classes. I can't get out of bed and I am so completely lost. I have spent the last few nights crying up all night because I have severe anxiety that I will be screwed for medical school.

Get out and get help, please. If you discuss this with the schools in the future THEY WILL RESPECT YOUR DECISION TO KNOW THAT YOU KNEW YOU NEEDED HELP. They won't care about your W's, they will admire that you understand yourself. Please, get help. Don't follow my mistake.

I am going to get help tomorrow. I hope that you do, too.

I just wanna give you huge kudos for having the strength to confront your depression at all. Remember that seeking help is a sign of strength, and sometimes the best thing you need is for someone just to listen.

(301) 314-HELP is confidential and anonymous. Go for it

I am right there with you. The fall of 2012, EVERYTHING in my life changed at once. I fell into a SEVERE depression. I am still not out of it and am struggling this semester, also. I had just returned from study abroad, I had no relationship with my mom, my bf of 3 1/2 years broke up with me (and I continued to live with him, I had no choice), my dad lost his job, etc., etc. Not to mention I had struggled with depression before this. I made it through the fall semester okay, but in the spring I tanked. I WISH I WOULD HAVE TAKEN THAT SEMESTER OFF AND GOTTEN HELP. I never got help.

Now, I am struggling with classes. I can't get out of bed and I am so completely lost. I have spent the last few nights crying up all night because I have severe anxiety that I will be screwed for medical school.

Get out and get help, please. If you discuss this with the schools in the future THEY WILL RESPECT YOUR DECISION TO KNOW THAT YOU KNEW YOU NEEDED HELP. They won't care about your W's, they will admire that you understand yourself. Please, get help. Don't follow my mistake.

I am going to get help tomorrow. I hope that you do, too.

Thanks for advice and everything you described is how I feel. Everymorning I wake and know she has moved on I begin to cry. I can't get out of bed nor can I even ge up to get a glass of water. If I can 't even do that how will i be able to attain at least a B in physics, calculus, and chemistry? I know i need help but I don't know where to begin.

Late to the thread, but I will say that you should take a break from school and take care of yourself. Don't sweat your GPA or classes. Just get yourself the help you need. Adcoms won't really think much of a semester of medical leave. When it comes up in secondaries or interviews, stating that you took medical leave for a semester will be explanation enough.

Depression hurts the people around you too. I hope things get better for you soon.

Last edited:
The best place to start is to contact BOTH of these resources:

1) Your university's mental health clinic - This is what they love do. At my alma mater >20% of our students see our mental health clinic at least once in their college career. They will be the person in your corner, and have experience on their side to help guide you through this. Although every person and situation is different, they have the tools necessary to work through this, I promise.

2) Your primary care physician OR university health clinic. It is best to have someone looking out for your overall health, someone that keeps things confidential, has been trained to help you in a broad sense, and knows the local resources available to you.

With these two appointments, you will be able to get on your feet and work through all of what you are experiencing each day both physically and emotionally. They will also help advise you on your academic choices. Just take that first step, these people will pick you up and support you the rest of the way. Okay?

It may seem unbearable at times, maybe even to the point where you don't even want to release the emotion and hurt from your shoulders... and those feelings are natural. The resources above will help you, help yourself in any way and pace you want.

If you PM me your school name I can personally look up the phone numbers for you and PM you back. I wish you the best in these tough times.

The best place to start is to contact BOTH of these resources:

1) Your university's mental health clinic - This is what they love do. At my alma mater >20% of our students see our mental health clinic at least once in their college career. They will be the person in your corner, and have experience on their side to help guide you through this. Although every person and situation is different, they have the tools necessary to work through this, I promise.

2) Your primary care physician OR university health clinic. It is best to have someone looking out for your overall health, someone that keeps things confidential, has been trained to help you in a broad sense, and knows the local resources available to you.

With these two appointments, you will be able to get on your feet and work through all of what you are experiencing each day both physically and emotionally. They will also help advise you on your academic choices. Just take that first step, these people will pick you up and support you the rest of the way. Okay?

It may seem unbearable at times, maybe even to the point where you don't even want to release the emotion and hurt from your shoulders... and those feelings are natural. The resources above will help you, help yourself in any way and pace you want.

If you PM me your school name I can personally look up the phone numbers for you and PM you back. I wish you the best in these tough times.

Hey thanks for the advice. I've dropped all my classes except for one. I've scheduled an appointment with the counslling center at my school. I never thought I would be in this much pain mentally, I've always underestimated depression. I'm good for 80 percent of the day when I keep myself busy. The other 20 pecent I feel like i'm going to have a mental break down. Bottom line depression sucks and I'm praying that one girl doesn't ruin my entire future.

0Topcat0, lettuce beef real tea, you were absolutely correct about weightlifting improving mindset. It's quite intredasting that you brought that up.............................aware?

to OP, contrary to what anyone might say, don't get on dat dere.................

what does "aware" mean/

as for the OP: just try and forget about it

Hey thanks for the advice. I've dropped all my classes except for one. I've scheduled an appointment with the counslling center at my school. I never thought I would be in this much pain mentally, I've always underestimated depression. I'm good for 80 percent of the day when I keep myself busy. The other 20 pecent I feel like i'm going to have a mental break down. Bottom line depression sucks and I'm praying that one girl doesn't ruin my entire future.

Sorry to hear you're going through a rough spot, I've been through some similar situations myself. The depression gets better with time, however. The initial few weeks are the worst. As it continues, it become easier to distract yourself with studying, classes, working and everything else that keeps you busy. Are you sure you want to drop classes? You're so close to finishing the semester. Perhaps you can postpone your upcoming tests without having to drop the classes? I've always found the keeping busy helps ease the depression. Hope this finds you well.

Does your university provide student counseling services? I would go there first. They have a lot of pull in making sure you get the help you need with your classes. This can be a huge help in making sure you get started. I absolutely dreaded going, but once I did I felt like I could breathe again. This small but very difficult step will help you at least get started,

Just remember you're not alone!