In it for the long haul, please help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JP09

Reaction score
My undergrad GPA is a 2.90. B.S major in Chinese... weird, I know. I attended one of the Service Academies, so it was rigorous and I struggled mightily. I am still active duty, but will be out of the military at the end of 2019.

I am planning on taking all the prerequisites I still need online through UNE (Org Chem I &2 and two biology courses) next year (I've already talked to the med school I'm interested in to make sure they accept online courses, they do). My concern is that I'm going to have to take about 15 credit hours and make almost all As in those courses just to raise my GPA to the minimum 3.0 required by the said school.

2019: take Org Chem I, Org Chem II, Biology, Biochemistry
2020: take additional science courses to improve GPA if I don't raise it to a 3.0 with courses I'm taking in 2019. Also, I will take the MCAT this year and apply for med school.
2021: hopefully attend med school

I feel confident that my extra curricular activities will be good to go. I'm more concerned about raising my GPA and getting a great MCAT score.

Can anyone give me some words of encouragement or advice who has been in a similar situation? What worked for you and what do you wish you would do differently if you were in my shoes?

Members don't see this ad.

My UG GPA was 2.56 and now I am an Intensivist. What you are looking at is a very long road. To give you an idea, from start to finish (meaning I passed my boards) took 13 years. The best thing you can do is to do it right the first time. Do not rush. Take the courses you need in a course load you can handle. One where you will do well. You have a very deep hole to dig yourself out of, but if you have not had any of the science courses during your initial time, it may not be that deep. You need to show that you can handle the rigors of higher science level courses.

the best advise, is not to rush.

Reactions: 7 users
It sounds like you are considering only applying to one school? Even with a 4.0 and a 520 that would be a bad idea. If you want to go to medical school, you will really need to adjust your mindset to the idea that you are going to have to apply broadly, particularly because of your rocky GPA. It can be done, but probably not by applying to just one school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Totally agree with the above post. Applying to medical school can be a crapshoot and there's no guarantee that this one school will accept you. If this school doesn't, you don't want to screw yourself over and be ineligible for other schools because you took those prereqs online. Just something to think about. It's a long road but it's not a race. Do what's best for you and at your own pace.

Reactions: 2 users
OP everyone who posted thus far are correct. Don’t ever rely on one school with upper science courses and labs outside of a brick n mortar institution. Med school is a marathon not a sprint.

Although you may not heed the advice, look at the MSAR and figure how many programs DONT want specific online pre-reqs vs those that “allow” it. What’s your contingency if that 1 program rejects you? Repeat all your online upper science courses and/or labs due to institution requirements (ie online courses not accepted)?

I also echo the statement: Do not rush it. Medical programs are not going anywhere. If your diligent and don’t rush you stand a great chance. I wish you the best

I started with a 2.6 from a Philosophy degree, raised it to 3.1 in 3 years, and am a 2nd year med student now. It can be done, but it will be a long road.
Start with these 2 threads to get some ideas/encouragement for where to go from here.
LOW GPA/MCAT Success Stories (Posts by Nontrads Already Accepted to Med School)
Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

I also second all mentions above about not putting all your eggs in one basket regarding med school applications. You have no guarantee that any one school will accept you - in fact pretty much the opposite based on the sheer numbers - so plan on applying widely when you get there.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t mean to confuse everyone with my post. I plan on applying to around 10 ish different schools when the time comes, the one I’m really seeking is the one I wrote about in the post. I have looked at MSAR for requirements for all the schools I’m interested in. The online classes are pretty crucial for me because I will be moving twice this upcoming year and I don’t want to waste it by not taking any classes. Stability/time is an issue in the military;) I appreciate the feedback so far and I truly understand it will be a long road!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I didn’t mean to confuse everyone with my post. I plan on applying to around 10 ish different schools when the time comes, the one I’m really seeking is the one I wrote about in the post. I have looked at MSAR for requirements for all the schools I’m interested in. The online classes are pretty crucial for me because I will be moving twice this upcoming year and I don’t want to waste it by not taking any classes. Stability/time is an issue in the military;) I appreciate the feedback so far and I truly understand it will be a long road!

I'm also still active duty military. I'd strongly, strongly suggest looking into brick and mortar for as many classes as you can, especially the prereqs. Look into community colleges. I am also a service academy grad - send me a PM if you want to discuss further.

I'm also still active duty military. I'd strongly, strongly suggest looking into brick and mortar for as many classes as you can, especially the prereqs. Look into community colleges. I am also a service academy grad - send me a PM if you want to discuss further.

I tried shooting you a PM, but it says I’m unable to start a conversation with you?

My undergrad GPA is a 2.90. B.S major in Chinese... weird, I know. I attended one of the Service Academies, so it was rigorous and I struggled mightily. I am still active duty, but will be out of the military at the end of 2019.

I am planning on taking all the prerequisites I still need online through UNE (Org Chem I &2 and two biology courses) next year (I've already talked to the med school I'm interested in to make sure they accept online courses, they do). My concern is that I'm going to have to take about 15 credit hours and make almost all As in those courses just to raise my GPA to the minimum 3.0 required by the said school.

2020: take additional science courses to improve GPA if I don't raise it to a 3.0 with courses I'm taking in 2019. Also, I will take the MCAT this year and apply for med school.

I feel confident that my extra curricular activities will be good to go. I'm more concerned about raising my GPA and getting a great MCAT score.

Can anyone give me some words of encouragement or advice who has been in a similar situation? What worked for you and what do you wish you would do differently if you were in my shoes?

OP just ace the pre reqs and focus on the MCAT. Your lower GPA is what it is. It will be offset significantly by doing well in the pre reqs. Couple that with the fact that you went to a service academy and served as an officer and adcoms will love you. I'd be open to DO schools as well, but my main point is you're not as worse off starting out as your GPA may lead you to believe. Veteran status goes a really long way.

OP just ace the pre reqs and focus on the MCAT. Your lower GPA is what it is. It will be offset significantly by doing well in the pre reqs. Couple that with the fact that you went to a service academy and served as an officer and adcoms will love you. I'd be open to DO schools as well, but my main point is you're not as worse off starting out as your GPA may lead you to believe. Veteran status goes a really long way.
Thanks for the feedback! I will absolutely put a lot of effort into doing well in the prereqs and the MCAT. I'm hoping the adcoms will appreciate the unique background I can bring to the table.

I didn’t mean to confuse everyone with my post. I plan on applying to around 10 ish different schools when the time comes, the one I’m really seeking is the one I wrote about in the post.

If I was you, I would plan on applying to more like 30 schools. Very high risk of falling through the cracks with such a low number, even if you smash your post-bac / MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
If I was you, I would plan on applying to more like 30 schools. Very high risk of falling through the cracks with such a low number, even if you smash your post-bac / MCAT.

Yea I didn't see you said 10 schools OP. It's worth applying to more. Sucks but it's part of the game. Good luck.

Many thanks for your service to our country.

Read this:

In 2015, I started reinventing a failed 2008 attempt at an Accounting degree.

Things have gone very well so far.

I might apply in 2020.

Time passes faster than you may think.

Good luck to you.

I suggest you concentrate on one course at a time and meet with your instructor regularly to get any assistance you might need and so they get to know you. They can help you get your gpa up and you might need to ask for a LOR later.

You should be taking the prerequisites in person, not online. Online = no lab. No opportunity to meet other students and professors. No opportunity to meet people to study with. Plus many med schools look at online courses with a skeptical eye. Have you taken Gen Chem I/II? Physics? Psych/Sociology?

Here's another option -- get the grounding in basic chem/bio and apply to a 5 or 6 year MD/MBBS program in Europe. Entry is by examination, some countries (Italy, Poland, Czech) allow you to pass entrance exams in English. Since it's designed for students straight out of high school, prereqs and undergrad GPA don't matter as much.