In need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j12813145

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Waiting on these letters from PT school have gotten me down lately :( I thought for sure I would have had a few decisions by now. Unfortunately, the only decision I received was a rejection letter from my top school (UMES) which has me even more down lol. They told me I was "qualified, but they were at capacity" and I was not even waitlisted sooo i'm not sure about that response.I am waiting on three more schools (Hampton, GW and Dominican College), and I actually have an interview with Dominican this Friday. However, after reading all of these horror stories about how they treat their students and losing accreditation... I don't know if I would go even if I was accepted (which brings me down to two schools.) I thought my stats were okay; GPA 3.36, GRE 157/147/4.5 100 hours of shadowing in Aquatics/Inpatient/Outpatient and CCRC, but now I am second guessing. My GPA took a major hit ( Got a 2.7, which brought me down from a 3.5) junior year because of an extreme family situation, but it went back up the past two semesters (3.1,3.4), but everyone knows how hard it can be to raise a cum. I guess I'm coming here to hear some redemption stories to cheer me up lol. I really worked hard on my GRE, pt school app and shadowing but now I am wondering if PT school is meant for me.

Members don't see this ad.

First, I want to assure you that everything will be okay! You are doing great! If there not a single doubt in your mind that PT is the career for you, then you will stop at nothing until you become a physical therapist. If you don't get into PT school this year, then do not worry about. Start working on ways that you can really improve yourself. Do it not only for PT school, but do it for yourself. Take some time to really reflect on why you received a rejection letter from UMES. The waiting game really sucks and I'm sure your anxiety is through the roof, but it's okay!

Second. If it makes you feel better, I applied to 10 programs across the country and I have only been interviewed by 1 then was waitlisted at the program and then eventually accepted. I applied to PT school with a Cumulative GPA of 3.39 and a Pre-req GPA of 3.23. I started out undergrad with a 3.4 GPA then received a 2.8 the next semester. It didn't really pick up until about 2 semesters later. I had okay letters of recommendation and my GRE was subpar. To be honest here, I should've been rejected by all 10 schools. But I believed in myself and my family did too. I was accepted into my top choice school and sure I'm going to be drowning in $100k+ debt but I know it's going to be okay. At least one school will see the potential in you and I assure you that one of them will be right for you.

Have a back-up plan in case things don't happen the way you want. It's not the end of the world if you don't get in this time around! Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you both for sharing on this topic. I am in a similar boat. I applied to 10 schools and have been wait listed 1 and I'm on an interview wait list at another. I feel very defeated and questioned if this is the right field for me. I know that I am meant to be a physical therapist, so I am reapplying next cycle. But it's hard not to pick out all the negatives about yourself and your application. When I see people posting about how they had to apply twice, it makes me feel much better.
This next cycle I am retaking a couple pre-reqs, retaking the GRE, volunteering, and getting more PT experience. I hope that the next cycle will bring us all good news!

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting on these letters from PT school have gotten me down lately :( I thought for sure I would have had a few decisions by now. Unfortunately, the only decision I received was a rejection letter from my top school (UMES) which has me even more down lol. They told me I was "qualified, but they were at capacity" and I was not even waitlisted sooo i'm not sure about that response.I am waiting on three more schools (Hampton, GW and Dominican College), and I actually have an interview with Dominican this Friday. However, after reading all of these horror stories about how they treat their students and losing accreditation... I don't know if I would go even if I was accepted (which brings me down to two schools.) I thought my stats were okay; GPA 3.36, GRE 157/147/4.5 100 hours of shadowing in Aquatics/Inpatient/Outpatient and CCRC, but now I am second guessing. My GPA took a major hit ( Got a 2.7, which brought me down from a 3.5) junior year because of an extreme family situation, but it went back up the past two semesters (3.1,3.4), but everyone knows how hard it can be to raise a cum. I guess I'm coming here to hear some redemption stories to cheer me up lol. I really worked hard on my GRE, pt school app and shadowing but now I am wondering if PT school is meant for me.

Don't lose hope this cycle but after your interview this Friday I would focus on strengthening your application. It will keep you working toward a goal rather than skulking.

That 147 on the GRE should be improved to above 150. Study for that.

I hope you addressed the hardship which affected your gpa in an essay. However, it should be made clear the problem is over so there is no doubt you can handle the load of PT school. Also, spin it so the overall tone of the essay is positive.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for your responses! You guys really cheered me up :) I'm going to go to this interview with a positive mindset and work to improve my stats for next cycle

Hey there! I'm a first year at UMES so I thought I'd say something. :) It's a bummer that you didn't get in, and I wish you the best of luck with your other schools!

I was wondering when you submitted your application? I know that UMES starts interviewing in the beginning of September so the seats fill really quickly. It's possible that you were totally qualified but just submitted after others did.

Hey there! I'm a first year at UMES so I thought I'd say something. :) It's a bummer that you didn't get in, and I wish you the best of luck with your other schools!

I was wondering when you submitted your application? I know that UMES starts interviewing in the beginning of September so the seats fill really quickly. It's possible that you were totally qualified but just submitted after others did.
Hey there! I submitted my application late october/early november, I thought I was still pretty early lol but I guess not. When I called to receive feedback on my application they just said it was because they were at capacity which sucks because I had to wait four months from my interview to hear back lol. But its okay because I just found out I was accepted to a school this morning!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey there! I submitted my application late october/early november, I thought I was still pretty early lol but I guess not. When I called to receive feedback on my application they just said it was because they were at capacity which sucks because I had to wait four months from my interview to hear back lol. But its okay because I just found out I was accepted to a school this morning!

Congratulations!!!!! You must be absolutely relieved and jumping up and down!!!!!! :clap: