Feb 3, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey, SDN. As dramatic as it sounds, I've been making adjustments to my semester course schedule and I woke up last night in a bit of a panic. For the first time, I felt seriously discouraged about dental school admissions. I'm currently a junior at Texas A&M applying in the upcoming cycle and have pursued dental school since high school. I would say I have a strong application, I haven't taken DAT yet, but I feel discouraged by the fact that I had a pretty rough Fall 2020 semester (with classes being online) and I fear the situation is going to be the same this semester. I'm so afraid that my GPA will drop with the rigorous courses and I won't be accepted due to performing poorly online. I started thinking of alternatives like RDA for a year and then applying again, or a dental hygiene program instead. I guess honestly I just need some encouragement or success stories from others? Should I apply this cycle if my GPA lowers? Should I attend hygiene school first? Please help!

Carmencitas

2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
What's your GPA? I doubt it'll destroy your chances at dental school and worse case scenario you can apply your senior year. I know everyone says it but you really do have to relax and trust the process, there was so much stuff I stressed out about before/during when I applied that literally did not matter.

Feb 3, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
What's your GPA? I doubt it'll destroy your chances at dental school and worse case scenario you can apply your senior year. I know everyone says it but you really do have to relax and trust the process, there was so much stuff I stressed out about before/during when I applied that literally did not matter.
My oGPA is a 3.3

About the Ads

PerioDont

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
don't think about hygiene school. first and foremost figure out what habits you have that are causing your grades to suffer. ideally you will fine some upperclassmen who have taken the same classes and ask them for advice on what to do.

spend the next few weeks trying to invest in your study habits as much as possible. read everything by Cal Newport and his blogs Study Hacks - Decoding Patterns of Success - Cal Newport

watch studying stuff and time management on youtube and from sdn's pre-med forum. you can also just straight up ask them for advice on there.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.