In need of some insight...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sabdul

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was looking for some advice on deciding between medicine and dentistry. I've wanted to go to dental school since I was 13. Yesterday though, one of my friends told me that dentists are crooks, which got me pretty upset. He said that they overcharge and perform pointless procedures. He said that across the majority of Asia, there aren't even dentists because people don't need them. I agree with the fact that dentists aren't required in those places because people actually eat healthy there. Here, we eat so much sugar, junk food, etc., that our teeth are weak from childhood. Even my own cousin who is a dentist agrees with that. My dilemma with this comes from wanting to be able to work anywhere in the world and actually make a positive impact on the people around me. It seems as though I won't be able to accomplish this if I wanted to go work somewhere in Asia for example. I'd really appreciate anyone's insight into this subject!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I was looking for some advice on deciding between medicine and dentistry. I've wanted to go to dental school since I was 13. Yesterday though, one of my friends told me that dentists are crooks, which got me pretty upset. He said that they overcharge and perform pointless procedures. He said that across the majority of Asia, there aren't even dentists because people don't need them. I agree with the fact that dentists aren't required in those places because people actually eat healthy there. Here, we eat so much sugar, junk food, etc., that our teeth are weak from childhood. Even my own cousin who is a dentist agrees with that. My dilemma with this comes from wanting to be able to work anywhere in the world and actually make a positive impact on the people around me. It seems as though I won't be able to accomplish this if I wanted to go work somewhere in Asia for example. I'd really appreciate anyone's insight into this subject!

Thanks.

:troll:

He said that across the majority of Asia, there aren't even dentists because people don't need them. I agree with the fact that dentists aren't required in those places because people actually eat healthy there.
I'm impressed that your friend is able to keep up with the dental care needs of several billion people. He must travel a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm impressed that your friend is able to keep up with the dental care needs of several billion people. He must travel a lot

LoL. He doesn't travel around and provide dental care. He works in the States. What I do know is that every year, a lot of dental students go to third world countries to provide dental care. If any of them can provide some objective info. about the situation there with regards to the degree of necessity for dentists, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

What a stupid question. I say, save it for your interview.

Why do you think I'm trolling? I'm asking a serious question. If you are unable to provide any helpful advice, at least don't prevent others from.

OK if you say you're being serious, then my advice is to go to med school. then you can go save the world. who needs dentists anyway, so long as you eat healthy like mongolians or whatever right? :laugh:

Just to throw it out there.... I am in India for vacation and what I have noticed so far is that there is a dentist's office at every corner.
I am sure the people wouldnt have considered the career unless they see a need for it.

To comment on the OP...have you ever traveled to a place where the citizens were never given Fluoride or had the benefit of dental care from a young age? I have been around the world several times and I can attest Americans have the best teeth around.

He said that they overcharge and perform pointless procedures. He said that across the majority of Asia, there aren't even dentists because people don't need them.

Which countries does "the majority of Asia" consist of? I've spent a significant portion of my life in Asia and Africa, and there are dentists in every developed country and metropolitan area. I'm sure those places don't need your idealism. Maybe your friend is thinking of places where impoverished people have limited access to dental and other kinds of health care. Now, just because they don't have access doesn't mean they don't need it, correct?

Aside from oracle's snide remarks, thanks to everyone for their responses. Yeah, I'm sticking with dentistry since I've loved it all my life. I actually liked going to the dentist as a child. My friend said that his parents never needed a dentist in India, but that was like 50 years ago so I guess times have changed. Thanks for the perspective guys!:D

FYI oracle, I don't want to "save the world", whatever that's supposed to mean...lmao:laugh:

Sabdul, Oracle DMD has pretty good input...
I mean think about it... you have been wanting to be something for 5+ years (assuming you are 18 now) and just because some random friend tells you something, you seriously begin to contemplate your passion for dentistry?
So a "snide" remark just helped you get back to your senses...

Forget your friends and forget sdn for a second too... go do some research on your own.
At least in India -- they eat healthier foods like you said. But they dont brush their teeth at night (some dont use toothbrushes), there is no concept of checkups every six months... nothing!
So belieeeeve me, you shall have PLEEEENTY of work to do if you really wish to :)

Members don't see this ad :)
True. I agree with the oral cancer statistic. Also, I've heard of undetected infections of teeth metastasizing to the spine and killing people. I don't know how true that is. That friend actually wants to go to law school so we get into debates frequently. I guess I wasn't thinking straight on this one because it struck a nerve or something.

True. I agree with the oral cancer statistic. Also, I've heard of undetected infections of teeth metastasizing to the spine and killing people. I don't know how true that is. That friend actually wants to go to law school so we get into debates frequently. I guess I wasn't thinking straight on this one because it struck a nerve or something.

A lawyer calling dentists "crooks." Oh, the irony :laugh:. This guy sounds like he's going to be a medical malpractice lawyer.

LoL. That's exactly what I said and why I got pissed off. But he wants to prosecute criminals. If he goes into medical malpractice though, I've told him already I will lose most of the respect I have for him...

LoL, I don't know why you still think I was trolling, but everyone is entitled to be stupid sometimes...:thumbup:

Sometimes beats all the time for which you apparently qualify.

Last edited:
Lmao. Looks like I struck a nerve there doc! If I was indeed a troll, I would certainly be accomplishing my job thanks to your responses! :D