In Response to Nov 16 Thread "This is To The Guys"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

au5233

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I had started a thread on Nov 16th which was entitled "This is to the Guys" (I tried to re-find it but can't). It was about proper clothing attire for an interview because I had just come back from my first dental school interview and wore casual pants with a shirt and tie. A number of you ripped me to threads, as I had apparently not received "the memo" and "Dental school is a PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL which demands PROFESSIONALISM", and "You might as well just fly home early from your interviews". And I ended that thread by saying 'If I DO get accepted, I only think it's fair I be allowed to gloat".

Well...here is my gloating:

Accepted to University of Michigan!

I guess not getting that memo didn't hurt me TOO much, did it. LOL.

I'm actually not gloating, I'm pretty modest. I just thought it was funny. And I'm not even going to UofM. So I wish the rest of you good luck, just have some confidence. If I can get in, you can too!

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you choose Detroit over Michagan?

Congrats...

So will you be under-dressing the rest of your life to spite others and prove the nay sayers wrong? (just kidding)

Members don't see this ad :)
If I also had a 4.0 science GPA and a 24 on the DAT, I'd go to the interview in sweats. :thumbup::laugh:

Congrats on the being accepted. Gloat away. lol.

Haha you guys are awesome!

DrSmiles, I chose UDM over UofM for a number of reasons. In short, besides the fact UDM is moving into a brand new school, I walked out of Detroit Mercy feeling far more impressed. They are so much more patient focussed, and really committed to training future practicing dentists. As well, based on location of the school and from what I have heard from many people, UDM sees such a broader scale of dental problems because of the high poor population located in metro detroit. The school even told me that most of their graduates are actually over-prepared for the majoirty of the cases they will face as practicing dentists.

Don't get me wrong, I think UofM was a great school too -- just not for me. They are much more reseach based there, which isn't something I'm interested in. I want to practice. As well, the atmosphere there is a little different -- seems a bit more competitive and cut-throat there. I do like the fact their lectures are recorded -- but I dont think that's a reason to go there. But one of the main things that really influenced my decision was the interview. I came out of UofM knowing what the classrooms look like, the atrium, hallways, surrounding area -- but no idea what the clinic was like. We were only allowed to "pop our heads in". The clinic is where you will spend almost all of your time in 3rd and 4th year, and that's something I'm interested in seeing -- not a classroom. I could care less if the classroom was top-notch or a dump, it won't change the lecture. Detroit Mercy on the other hanf brought me into the entire clinic, showed me every part of it including the orthodontic clinic, endodontic clinic, and showed me the instruments and working area -- the bulk of the tour was of us IN the clinic. And I really felt that was important. I got the watch several dental proceedures as well being done by current students. They just seem like an exceptional school.

UofM is highly respected, and I do respect it, but I left there with only an impression of the school, not of what they have to offer as a dental school, and instead tried to impress us with how nice the building is -- something again that really doesn't matter.

Anyways, I kind of went off there. I could write pages...but I won't. I think I got my PERSONAL views acorss. Thanks for asking though, I appreciate that =)

Best of luck!

Crap... I'm wearing Dockers and a Hawaiian shirt to my next interview. :D

Hey,

I had started a thread on Nov 16th which was entitled "This is to the Guys" (I tried to re-find it but can't). It was about proper clothing attire for an interview because I had just come back from my first dental school interview and wore casual pants with a shirt and tie. A number of you ripped me to threads, as I had apparently not received "the memo" and "Dental school is a PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL which demands PROFESSIONALISM", and "You might as well just fly home early from your interviews". And I ended that thread by saying 'If I DO get accepted, I only think it's fair I be allowed to gloat".

Well...here is my gloating:

Accepted to University of Michigan!

I guess not getting that memo didn't hurt me TOO much, did it. LOL.

I'm actually not gloating, I'm pretty modest. I just thought it was funny. And I'm not even going to UofM. So I wish the rest of you good luck, just have some confidence. If I can get in, you can too!

As TerpFan suggested the attire or lack thereof is not what got you accepted. With your GPA and DAT scores you could have gone dressed as a clown or in your pajama and adcoms would still be seeing you in a tux.

Cool, best wishes to you