In state residency and taxes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EHCAT4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have a question about obtaining residency and taxes that I was wondering if I could get some input on. I will be going to school at UNC starting in the fall and plan to apply for residency in NC before the start of my second year (my intentions are truly to stay even after graduation). I am currently a VA resident.

I understand that when applying for residency they will look into where I have filed taxes in the past year. My question is this... I will be working here in Virginia until July 29 and immediately will be moving to NC, already have an apartment leased, and obtaining my NC driver's license. I know I will have to file taxes at the beginning of 2019 for my earnings. Will this hurt my chances of residency next August? I am not sure if they will look for the date which my jobs ends for which I am filing taxes (which would be outside of a year) or if they will look for the date that actually file the taxes (~January of 2019).

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.