In-state tuition for vets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncreativeGenius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Feel free to move this thread if it belongs elsewhere.

I'm a Marine vet planning to apply MD/DO next cycle (2019-2020) and slowly building my school list. I've heard rumors that certain schools will grant in-state tuition to veterans using the GI Bill, but I haven't been able to find any solid examples of schools that do this.

Does anyone know of any schools that actually do this?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm a Marine vet planning to apply MD/DO next cycle (2019-2020) and slowly building my school list. I've heard rumors that certain schools will grant in-state tuition to veterans using the GI Bill, but I haven't been able to find any solid examples of schools that do this.

Thanks in advance!

The only one I know for sure is East Tennessee (Quillen). They grant IS status for active duty military and vets, but there are certain stipulations for vets I think (I think you have to enroll within 24 months of discharge—read the link below).

https://etsu.edu/com/vetswelcome/documents/militarytuition2018.pdf

Reactions: 1 user
University of Alabama
University of Mississippi
University of Tennessee

All have programs for vets, but check out the particular requirements of each.

From briefly looking around, it seems if you are using post 9/11 benefits, lots of places give you instate tuition. Another common theme is you need to be applying within a few years of being separated.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Many institutions also participate in the Yellow Ribbon program, where they will cover tuition in excess of what the GI Bill will pay.

My son is using my transferred GI Bill now at an expensive private school. The school is covering the difference.

Reactions: 3 users
Appreciate all the answers! The Yellow Ribbon Program is an awesome opportunity, I've definitely built my school list with that in mind. As far as the new law regarding vets using the GI Bill that get IS tuition, there is some sort of a cutoff from the day of discharge and I will likely be just over the max time from discharge when I start med school.

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

All of the above advices are out of dated.

Regardless of your in-state or out-state status or the cost of in-state tuition, your full tuition will be 100% covered by post 9/11 bill assuming that you get accepted to a public medical school

So, if I have to make a list for you, you should apply to all public MD/DO schools

Regardless of your in-state or out-state status or the cost of in-state tuition, your full tuition will be 100% covered by post 9/11 bill assuming that you get accepted to a public medical school

So, if I have to make a list for you, you should apply to all public MD/DO schools

As far as I know, doesn't that new law only extend for three years after your discharge? Assuming most med schools start in July/August I'll be just two months over the three year mark when I start.

As far as I know, doesn't that new law only extend for three years after your discharge? Assuming most med schools start in July/August I'll be just two months over the three year mark when I start.

You're right. I just checked. What a bs scam deal by politicians to cheat vets out of their hard earned benefits!

But, there's another way. Look into Voc Rehab Chapter 31 for full ride to dental school or medical school regardless of the tuition rate. All you need is a 10% disability rating.

Many vets are on it, with the max benefit of up to $500-600K over four years.

To make everything clear, Will post 9/11 GI bill cover 100% public dental school tuition regardless residency status?

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

I had trouble finding the answer to this when I was trying to decide whether to matriculate at an OOS vs IS school. You have to talk to each school's financial office directly. My application cycle was right around when the law was first approved and I was afraid schools wouldn't be aware of it yet or have adopted it yet. The OOS school I otherwise couldn't have afforded told me that I would have to first accept their offer, matriculate, and then eventually they would get to my financial aid package to be able to tell me if they could grant me IS tuition or not. It was too risky to me and so I accepted my in state school's offer instead. On a side note, when I talked to the financial office of a newer school I had been accepted at, they were so unfamiliar with GI Bill processing that they ended up scaring me off from their school for fear of being unable to correctly process my benefits.

Also, for what it's worth, MSAR's classifications of private vs public schools wasn't always accurate and so the IS school I ended up attending initially sounded like it wouldn't fully cover my tuition as it was a private school on MSAR. I reached out to veteran students attending the school and they were able to tell me that it was public and their tuition was 100% covered.

So in summary, talk directly to schools and try to network with veteran students to get accurate answers!

You're right. I just checked. What a bs scam deal by politicians to cheat vets out of their hard earned benefits!

But, there's another way. Look into Voc Rehab Chapter 31 for full ride to dental school or medical school regardless of the tuition rate. All you need is a 10% disability rating.

Many vets are on it, with the max benefit of up to $500-600K over four years.

I was turned down when I attempted to transition from Post 911 to Voc Rehab- something about me seeking to re-enter the workforce as a physician was not equivalent to other scenarios the benefit was designed for. Definitely look into it, but it isn't as easy to get as you may think.

Appreciate all the answers! The Yellow Ribbon Program is an awesome opportunity, I've definitely built my school list with that in mind. As far as the new law regarding vets using the GI Bill that get IS tuition, there is some sort of a cutoff from the day of discharge and I will likely be just over the max time from discharge when I start med school.

Make sure you're looking at Yellow Ribbon offered to Graduate/Medical students-- often times schools promote Yellow Ribbon for undergrad but have no benefit for their medical students.

I was turned down when I attempted to transition from Post 911 to Voc Rehab- something about me seeking to re-enter the workforce as a physician was not equivalent to other scenarios the benefit was designed for. Definitely look into it, but it isn't as easy to get as you may think.

The case workers always give you crap for getting Voc Rehab if you have exhausted your post 9/11 benefit. I never used my post 9/11 benefit and went straight to Voc Rehab after ETS. But, it’s a fight worth fighting for.

My friend had to transfer caseworkers before it was approved. All paid tuition and BAH were retroactively paid for in the end.