"In the area" Email Compendium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've seen people on this board many times say something like - hey I'm gonna be in Philadelphia for a wedding. Do you think I should send an ITA email to all my East Coast schools?

And I think others just flat out lie to try and get interest from a school they haven't heard from
ITA emails should be required to specify actual destinations then, otherwise be ignored. Being in Philly makes sense for the schools there, obviously not so much for Yale.

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

No, one would think not.

I think there are circumstances where these make sense. If you are interviewing at Columbia...chances are you are probably a strong enough candidate that you will also get an invite to Cornell. So emailing them and trying to consolidate travel makes sense. Same for UofC/Northwestern.

But applicants are known to scrutinize every aspect of this process for any potential advantage. Ten years ago it was the LOI game, which has gotten pretty well played out at this point. Now it seems like there is a sudden abundance of these in the area emails.

I mean again for Columbia/Cornell/Sinai you have an argument. They are geographically clustered and traveling to NYC is expensive. But someone brought up Michigan - what exactly does "in the area" mean for a small town in the Midwest with no schools of similar competitiveness within driving distance? Or Tallahassee? Or Hershey?

For those schools, not at all. The NYC schools yes, the Philadelphia schools, yes (much different in comparison though). Or Chicago. But basically schools clustered together. PSU is literally in the middle of nowhere. 2 hours from Philly, 3 hours from Pittsburgh, and 2 hours from TCMC.

PSU is literally in the middle of nowhere. 2 hours from Philly, 3 hours from Pittsburgh, and 2 hours from TCMC.

That's what I mean. These emails can be a little ridiculous and as I said I'd predict that they get taken less and less seriously - even in schools where it might geographically make sense. Or schools will make more explicit policies that if you are traveling for an interview at XXX peer school, please feel free to contact them to try and coordinate travel.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I mean. These emails can be a little ridiculous and as I said I'd predict that they get taken less and less seriously - even in schools where it might geographically make sense. Or schools will make more explicit policies that if you are traveling for an interview at XXX peer school, please feel free to contact them to try and coordinate travel.

Couldn't agree more. There are times when it absolutely makes sense, and many times when it really doesn't.
Like an "in the area" email when you're interviewing in NY but want to try and interview in DC. (I've seen it asked on here).
Im just fortunate Im a 45 minute train ride from Philly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I disagree. For those of us on the west coast, being able to group interviews together on the East Coast is mainly an issue of $ and makes total sense. If I can take a relatively cheap train, or even cheaper bus, from NYC to DC I will save the cost of an entire cross-country flight, which can be anywhere from 350 - 500 dollars.

The other thing to consider is relative size. For example, if you told me that you had an interview at UCSF and sent an in-the-area email to UCSD, I would not find that extravagant. This is despite the fact that there are 500 miles between SF and San Diego and only 200 something miles between NYC and DC. To a west coaster like me, everything on the East Coast seems close together, since most of the New England states are so teeny-tiny.

Plus, like previous posters have said, I'm sure people whose applications have been put in the "No thanks" pile probably don't get a second look just because of an ITA email.

You make a good point, but look at it from the school's perspective. Most of us here don't consider being in NY to be "in the area" of DC. Yes, things are closer together here than in CA, but it's still a bit of a distance to travel (it's a 4 hour drive). It is all about perspective. I feel like I'm talking in circles, but yeah, things are different on each coast. That thinking is all relative to where you come from.

you guys raise good points. I always thought you should at least be interviewing in the same state in order to pull the ITA card.

with that said, anyone know how receptive all of the Pennsylvania schools are to ITA emails? :D

Just sent off some ITA updates, let's hope one of them pans out!

So...Loyola is receptive (more than -ish. lol!). Just got scheduled (about 1.5 weeks after I sent an in the area email) for an interview the day after my other Chicago interview. The admissions lady was very nice about it and actually had two available days in the same week that I had said I'd be in the area.

@blueharbor in my email I said that I was in the area for another interview (...oops?) but they didn't seem to mind.
Did you update the portal or send them an e-mail?

I disagree. For those of us on the west coast, being able to group interviews together on the East Coast is mainly an issue of $ and makes total sense. If I can take a relatively cheap train, or even cheaper bus, from NYC to DC I will save the cost of an entire cross-country flight, which can be anywhere from 350 - 500 dollars.

The other thing to consider is relative size. For example, if you told me that you had an interview at UCSF and sent an in-the-area email to UCSD, I would not find that extravagant. This is despite the fact that there are 500 miles between SF and San Diego and only 200 something miles between NYC and DC. To a west coaster like me, everything on the East Coast seems close together, since most of the New England states are so teeny-tiny.

Plus, like previous posters have said, I'm sure people whose applications have been put in the "No thanks" pile probably don't get a second look just because of an ITA email.

I agree with everything you said, but then what is the point of this thread? Why not just email the schools in the area that you will be interviewing at and go from there. No one will hold it against you and the worst you would get is an acknowledgement. No school would penalize you for letting them know unless they explicitly say that no updates are accepted in any way.

I think southernIM was bringing up a good point that a lot of people are using ITA emails as an excuse or in a way to just gain some sort of edge in medical school admissions. I see frequently on here in the school specific forums how people just an hour or so away send an "in the area" email when they are visiting family or something and threads like these seem to be asking "Hey, which schools if I lie about me being in the area would possibly look at my application quicker?". But there is definitely some use for ITA emails when it comes to saving money.

What's everyone's thoughts on writing an "in the area" email when you really won't be in the area but really want an interview????

What's everyone's thoughts on writing an "in the area" email when you really won't be in the area but really want an interview????

I think it should go without saying that you shouldn't ever lie to get a leg up. just send a letter of interest or update or something instead to try and stand out. I would never recommend lying in this process, especially since it's kind of a career where honesty and trust are a big deal. best of luck

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think schools are becoming increasingly aware that these ITA emails are most often bullc***.

It's becoming the new letter of intent.

Wouldn't surprise me to see fewer and fewer schools receptive to these in the very near future

I thought ITA emails just got your application reviewed faster (but wouldn't affect whether that review actually yielded a positive response)?

I thought ITA emails just got your application reviewed faster (but wouldn't affect whether that review actually yielded a positive response)?
I think you can see why ITA's are the new LOI.
We saw a rash of them this year and I can only suspect that the prospect of a perceived advantage in timing was among the reasons.

Theoretically, but if a good number of people send these messages - I have no idea how many they actually receive, but it wouldn't surprise me if they receive a number of them - then the schools might give up altogether and not even bother with trying to accommodate them. To @SouthernSurgeon's point, you see the occasional thread pop up on SDN that more or less asks if an applicant should send an ITA e-mail in the context of a situation that makes the "ITA" part of the e-mail a bit of a stretch.

Theoretically, but if a good number of people send these messages - I have no idea how many they actually receive, but it wouldn't surprise me if they receive a number of them - then the schools might give up altogether and not even bother with trying to accommodate them. To @SouthernSurgeon's point, you see the occasional thread pop up on SDN that more or less asks if an applicant should send an ITA e-mail in the context of a situation that makes the "ITA" part of the e-mail a bit of a stretch.
Some of them are from applicants whose zip code is next to the school.

*Bump*

I was wondering where is the info on UCSF and USC keck being not receptive coming from?

Also can anyone generally comment on the California schools receptiveness to these emails. (I'm from Boston and flying in mid October for an interview at Stanford, and I have also applied to ucsf, ucsd, ucla and keck...)

Last edited:
I'd emailed UCLA and UCSD recently about the in-the-area thing. UCLA replied saying they would consider it only after I'd been offered an interview in the first place to work with the dates (but not before I get an interview)...so they're not really receptive. UCSD still hasn't replied and I'll keep you guys posted.

Soo I have an II at NYMC coming up in October, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to email schools that are a huge reach for me (Cornell and Columbia)...would it look bad and make me seem kind of arrogant? or should I just go ahead and send one? I'm from the West Coast and would reallyyy like to not have to travel multiple times to the east coast (IF i get an interview, which is pretty unlikely. but you can still have hope right?)

I heard that Cornell is pretty receptive to ITA emails; not quite sure about Columbia. I don't think it would hurt, but be aware that some schools may already be booked for the week/month. (I.e. even if they would interview you, they don't have space for the days when you're ITA)

is it better to call or email to ask for in the areas

So...Loyola is receptive (more than -ish. lol!). Just got scheduled (about 1.5 weeks after I sent an in the area email) for an interview the day after my other Chicago interview. The admissions lady was very nice about it and actually had two available days in the same week that I had said I'd be in the area.

@blueharbor in my email I said that I was in the area for another interview (...oops?) but they didn't seem to mind.
Had they already invited you to interview before you sent the email? or they just invited you afterwards?

This "in the area" stuff seems so out of character. This entire process is about graciously taking it up the bum from schools, and now you're telling me you're sending them emails preemptively asking them to just give you the interview for your convenience? That seems presumptuous even to me, and i'm the one who thinks interview-bargaining isn't some kind of original sin of entitlement.

Reactions: 3 users
Soo I have an II at NYMC coming up in October, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to email schools that are a huge reach for me (Cornell and Columbia)...would it look bad and make me seem kind of arrogant? or should I just go ahead and send one? I'm from the West Coast and would reallyyy like to not have to travel multiple times to the east coast (IF i get an interview, which is pretty unlikely. but you can still have hope right?)

Just curious, why do you say they're a huge reach?

Just curious, why do you say they're a huge reach?

Well, my MCAT score is only a 33. And also, looking at the way things are going (I only have 2 II out of the >30 schools I applied to, one being a state school and one low tier, and I was complete late July) I don't believe myself to be a very competitive applicant....

However, it would be a miracle if I were to get an II at either Cornell or Columbia because I just absolutely LOVE NYC.

Well, my MCAT score is only a 33. And also, looking at the way things are going (I only have 2 II out of the >30 schools I applied to, one being a state school and one low tier, and I was complete late July) I don't believe myself to be a very competitive applicant....

However, it would be a miracle if I were to get an II at either Cornell or Columbia because I just absolutely LOVE NYC.

do it and try. the worse they can say is no and if they are reach schools, its unlikely to really make a difference on your chances anyways.

This "in the area" stuff seems so out of character. This entire process is about graciously taking it up the bum from schools, and now you're telling me you're sending them emails preemptively asking them to just give you the interview for your convenience? That seems presumptuous even to me, and i'm the one who thinks interview-bargaining isn't some kind of original sin of entitlement.

I think its about time.. This whole process is so self-selecting for people whose parents are willing and able to throw their money down the drain for their kids. Schools have just expected people to shell out thousands of dollars while simultaneously hoping for diverse classes. Grad students get flown out to their interviews. Its the least they can do to try to schedule people so they can save hundreds of dollars. We have rights! haha

Reactions: 3 users
I sent one of these emails to Northwestern, but it was about being in the area for a school trip, not another interview. They were very helpful and receptive.

Receptive
Columbia (Send as update on their application website, not via email)
Cornell
Einstein
Loyola
NYU
Ohio State
Pritzker
University of Minnesota
University of Cincinnati
SLU
Harvard

Not
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Tufts
U Mich
Penn State
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Florida State University
UCSF
USC Keck
Hofstra

Isnt this thread entirely dependent on the situation? Like if i was in another country during my cycle schools on the not receptive list would almost have to be same can be said for out of state applicants to some extento_O

Isnt this thread entirely dependent on the situation? Like if i was in another country during my cycle schools on the not receptive list would almost have to be same can be said for out of state applicants to some extento_O

What? I don't think they would almost HAVE to be receptive at all. Why do you think that? That's the whole purpose of this thread. Some schools are and some definitely aren't.

Last edited:
I have a sample ITA email in my MDApps if anyone want's to use it.

What? I don't think they would almost HAVE to be receptive at all. Why do you think that? That's the whole purpose of this thread. Some schools are and some definitely aren't.

I am talking about in extreme situations such as being out of the country and only being able to leave for 2wks (like most fulbrighters) unless they are willing to do Skype yes they would have to be receptive IF you were already being considered for one that is.

I'm not dumb I know they don't have to do anything in terms of giving an interview my point was everyone's situation is different so I'm not seeing the point of making a list.

Receptive
Cornell
Einstein
Harvard
Loyola
NYU
Ohio State
SLU
University of Chicago, Pritzker
University of Minnesota
University of Pennsylvania, Perelman (send as update on application portal)
University of Cincinnati

Not
Florida State University
Georgetown University
Hofstra
Mt. Sinai
New York Medical College (responded that they were unable to expedite any reviews)
New York University (responded that they were unable to expedite any reviews)
Northwestern
Penn State
Tufts
UCSF
U Mich
USC Keck

Brb emailing my entire list that I'm in the area

Reactions: 4 users
Receptive
Cornell
Einstein
Harvard
Loyola
NYU
Ohio State
SLU
University of Chicago, Pritzker
University of Minnesota
University of Pennsylvania, Perelman (send as update on application portal)
University of Cincinnati

Not
Florida State University
Georgetown University
Hofstra
Mt. Sinai
New York Medical College (responded that they were unable to expedite any reviews)
New York University (responded that they were unable to expedite any reviews)
Northwestern
Penn State
Tufts
UCSF
U Mich
USC Keck
Cooper at Rowan University

If you actually were given interviews at NYU, Columbia, and Cornell, then asking Mt. Sinai and Einstein for interviews at the same time is reasonable. However, if your only interview was to NYMC, or Touro Harlem, then emailing your extreme reaches in NY is not likely to be fruitful. Without knowing the credentials of the applicants, it's not possible to extrapolate much from someone's interview request being rejected. I wouldn't necessarily believe a school that says that they don't expedite reviews. That might just be a nice way of saying that they looked at that particular application and don't plan on interviewing them. A 4.0 & 45 MCAT might get a different response.

So, send an email regardless. You have nothing to lose. But I'm quite sure that no school is going to waste their precious interview resources on someone unqualified, or even borderline, just because they were in the area.

Does this apply if your favorite school is down the street from your undergrad? ;) :laugh:

I'm ALWAYS in the area, interview me please!

How exactly should one phrase an ITA email?

Hey...
I'm in the area... so interview me maybe?

I work in the same building as the admissions office at my top choice! Would passing an ITA note under their door be more effective than an email?

Is Harvard actually receptive to ITAs? Maybe they acknowledge them, but do they also respond favorably to them with invites?

Is it OK to stretch the definition of 'ITA' a bit more if you're flying in from outside the country?
I've been small-pooled at UVM (meaning they said "hey, we might give you an interview") and I'm flying in from another country for an interview about 1.5hrs away...which is quite close when you consider that it's 2 full days of travelling for me to get anywhere in the US from where I live right now, not to mention that it's expensive and I can't afford to take too much time away from my activities here.

Thoughts? I feel like between the small pool and the out-of-country aspect, this would be fairly reasonable.

Is it OK to stretch the definition of 'ITA' a bit more if you're flying in from outside the country?
I've been small-pooled at UVM (meaning they said "hey, we might give you an interview") and I'm flying in from another country for an interview about 1.5hrs away...which is quite close when you consider that it's 2 full days of travelling for me to get anywhere in the US from where I live right now, not to mention that it's expensive and I can't afford to take too much time away from my activities here.

Thoughts? I feel like between the small pool and the out-of-country aspect, this would be fairly reasonable.
Definitely reasonable. Go for it! Be polite and phrase it well.

I sent one two years ago and got a rejection letter within hours.

Last edited: