In your opinion, which med schools are the super-heavyweights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yuhh

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
the creme de la creme

cream of the crop

not just top 20, but that specific list of schools that has that "wow" factor everywhere.

The schools where the absolute best applicants apply and matriculate to without giving their other acceptances much thought (besides like money and some other obvious factors)

Disregarding usnews, just in your opinion

Members don't see this ad.

I have the most respect for the schools that take kind, wonderful applicants with modest academic accomplishments and turn them into amazing physicians.
That is transformation!

Anybody can take applicants with perfect scores and grades and expect them to breeze through the curriculum (no matter how redundant and clunky it is). Those students will do fine as long you stay out of their way.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
the creme de la creme

cream of the crop

not just top 20, but that specific list of schools that has that "wow" factor everywhere.

The schools where the absolute best applicants apply and matriculate to without giving their other acceptances much thought (besides like money and some other obvious factors)

Ask five people, you're going to get six answers.

I'll venture

U Chicago
Harvard
Stanford

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
'Wow' factor depends on who you ask.

Getting into medical school is a great accomplishment for anyone and is usually a 'wow' factor on its own, but I doubt anyone outside of the medicine world can properly distinguish most schools outside of HYCS, where C is Columbia.

Reactions: 2 users
I do think that it will depend on where you are geographically and which medical schools have a local reputation or the university overall has great name recognition.

And, in the end, I think, no one really cares where a doc went to med school, it matters where they practice as an attending physician. Then you have people looking at Harvard, Columbia, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, Stanford, etc. and specialty hospitals such as Hospital for Special Surgery, Sloan-Kettering, MD Anderson Cancer Center, etc.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
'Wow' factor depends on who you ask.

Getting into medical school is a great accomplishment for anyone and is usually a 'wow' factor on its own, but I doubt anyone outside of the medicine world can properly distinguish most schools outside of HYCS, where C is Columbia.

I don’t feel like Columbia carries the same name recognition as HYS do for folks outside of academia. That being said, for applicants, I don’t Yale carries the same weight as Harvard or Stanford.

To answer OP’s question (which I think honestly is phrased very superficially), Harvard and Stanford are undeniably in their own tier for the ‘wow’ factor (ie prestige)

Reactions: 1 users
The schools where the absolute best applicants apply and matriculate to without giving their other acceptances much thought
Ask five people, you're going to get six answers.

I'll venture

U Chicago
Harvard
Stanford
I’ll add Hogwart’s School of Medicine.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Harvard
Hopkins
UCSF (probably more for GME than UME though)
Penn
Columbia
Stanford

Do stats wh*re schools like Penn really deserve to be on here?
Penn is one of the oldest and most respected med schools in the US. They have top programs in almost every specialty. Together with Harvard and Columbia they are sort of the old guard. Hopkins is the traditional home of modern medicine.

the creme de la creme

cream of the crop

Why is this important? TBH, ANYONE, not just the "absolute best applicants" apply wherever it is that they apply, and then matriculate, without giving other acceptances much thought, other than money and some other obvious factors. :laugh:

What is the point of stirring up a debate as to whether Columbia or Penn deserve to be uttered in the same breath as Harvard and Stanford, when the closest most of us will come to any of them is when the credit card charge for the secondary fee hits our statement?

Why is this important? TBH, ANYONE, not just the "absolute best applicants" apply wherever it is that they apply, and then matriculate, without giving other acceptances much thought, other than money and some other obvious factors. :laugh:

What is the point of stirring up a debate as to whether Columbia or Penn deserve to be uttered in the same breath as Harvard and Stanford, when the closest most of us will come to any of them is when the credit card charge for the secondary fee hits our statement?
no harm in just discussing... lol
but also, not saying they dont deserve to be in the same breath. theyre all very close so i’d consider those 4 schools part of the cream of the crop anyway. doesnt have to be just 2-3 schools singled out

Last edited:
no harm in just discussing... lol
but also, not saying they dont deserve to be in the same breath. theyre all very close so i’d consider those 4 schools part of the cream of the crop anyway. doesnt have to be just 2-3 schools singled out
I didn't mean to suggest that you were saying anything -- I meant that's where the thread would inevitably go!

My point was simply that EVERYONE goes to whatever school best meets their needs, taking into account "money and some other obvious factors," so what's the point of another thread asking people what they consider to be the best schools (disregarding US News, which is impossible since they publish the list that everyone who asks or cares about this question slaves to in determining "that specific list of schools that has that "wow" factor everywhere" and where to "apply and matriculate to without giving their other acceptances much thought (besides like money and some other obvious factors)"?

It just seems to me that there are already an infinite number of threads on this very topic, and harvesting fresh opinions on the relative "wow" factors of Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, Penn, UCSF, etc. is pointless, since the very few fortunate enough to be in a position to be able to choose among them will post their own Help Me Decide thread when the time comes, based on the attributes they value. For the rest of us, the debate is pretty meaningless.

I didn't mean to suggest that you were saying anything -- I meant that's where the thread would inevitably go!

My point was simply that EVERYONE goes to whatever school best meets their needs, taking into account "money and some other obvious factors," so what's the point of another thread asking people what they consider to be the best schools (disregarding US News, which is impossible since they publish the list that everyone who asks or cares about this question slaves to in determining "that specific list of schools that has that "wow" factor everywhere" and where to "apply and matriculate to without giving their other acceptances much thought (besides like money and some other obvious factors)"?

It just seems to me that there are already an infinite number of threads on this very topic, and harvesting fresh opinions on the relative "wow" factors of Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, Penn, UCSF, etc. is pointless, since the very few fortunate enough to be in a position to be able to choose among them will post their own Help Me Decide thread when the time comes, based on the attributes they value. For the rest of us, the debate is pretty meaningless.
yea I feel u. just wanted to make some pointless talk. am very bored lol

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.