nnguyenc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2008
Northern Virginia
Status
Pharmacist
unnamed corporate retail chain

inclement weather wherein most places closed due to heavy snow, hazardous driving condition

notified supervisor of not going to work bc of driving risk, rx sup said ok but with unhappy tone, but will take
out of vacation hours for not going to work

what do you guys think?

Dalteparin

7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I think that's life. I work hospital and the exact same thing happened to me last winter.

OP
N

nnguyenc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2008
Northern Virginia
Status
Pharmacist
yeah, not really upset or complaining, just wanted to see other people's inclement weather policy

but what if i already used all of my vacation? :p

msweph

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Hospital- have to be there no matter what due to essential employee status.

zelman

7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Weather shmeather. Be there. The worse the weather is, the fewer patients will show up.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
unnamed corporate retail chain

inclement weather wherein most places closed due to heavy snow, hazardous driving condition

notified supervisor of not going to work bc of driving risk, rx sup said ok but with unhappy tone, but will take
out of vacation hours for not going to work

what do you guys think?
For me they would take that out of my sick time. But I was hired at my full-time job partly because my extremely close proximity to the hospital. Car can't get thru snow, no problem, put some boots on and walk the 1/2 mile.

xiphoid2010

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Texas
Status
Pharmacist
we offer to put up essential personnel in Super8 and such within walking distance based on weather forecast, which in this part of texas is basically anytime it might snow or ice, happens maybe about once a year.

Aznfarmerboi

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
Status
Pharmacist
Yes... for most companies..., you have to go in. You are lucky that your supervisor let you take off.

The reason for this is most jobs that I am aware of has no such thing as a snow day. There are only sick days, vacation days, and funeral days. In addition... for most retail chains..., corporate does not make the schedule. You and your partners do. If you can not make it, you can switch with your partner. You can also work in a store closer to you (although it might not be applicable because of your location).

The only time I know of when you can have off is if your store closes and every other store in your district closes due to weather (hurricane Sandy, Katrina, etc).

Next time, call out sick instead.

rph3664

7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
My long-term retail job was in a town 40 miles away, and I live in the upper Midwest. Only once in the 3 years I worked there did I feel the need to stay overnight, and that turned out not to be necessary but I wasn't taking any chances. I could have stayed with any of my co-workers, but all of them had families and I didn't want to impose, so I got a motel room.

And at my old job, if things got really bad, they would allow essential employees who lived out of town or in the country to stay in unused rooms.