inclement weather policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nnguyenc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
unnamed corporate retail chain

inclement weather wherein most places closed due to heavy snow, hazardous driving condition

notified supervisor of not going to work bc of driving risk, rx sup said ok but with unhappy tone, but will take
out of vacation hours for not going to work

what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's life. I work hospital and the exact same thing happened to me last winter.

yeah, not really upset or complaining, just wanted to see other people's inclement weather policy

but what if i already used all of my vacation? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hospital- have to be there no matter what due to essential employee status.

Weather shmeather. Be there. The worse the weather is, the fewer patients will show up.

unnamed corporate retail chain

inclement weather wherein most places closed due to heavy snow, hazardous driving condition

notified supervisor of not going to work bc of driving risk, rx sup said ok but with unhappy tone, but will take
out of vacation hours for not going to work

what do you guys think?

For me they would take that out of my sick time. But I was hired at my full-time job partly because my extremely close proximity to the hospital. Car can't get thru snow, no problem, put some boots on and walk the 1/2 mile.

we offer to put up essential personnel in Super8 and such within walking distance based on weather forecast, which in this part of texas is basically anytime it might snow or ice, happens maybe about once a year.

Yes... for most companies..., you have to go in. You are lucky that your supervisor let you take off.

The reason for this is most jobs that I am aware of has no such thing as a snow day. There are only sick days, vacation days, and funeral days. In addition... for most retail chains..., corporate does not make the schedule. You and your partners do. If you can not make it, you can switch with your partner. You can also work in a store closer to you (although it might not be applicable because of your location).

The only time I know of when you can have off is if your store closes and every other store in your district closes due to weather (hurricane Sandy, Katrina, etc).

Next time, call out sick instead.

My long-term retail job was in a town 40 miles away, and I live in the upper Midwest. Only once in the 3 years I worked there did I feel the need to stay overnight, and that turned out not to be necessary but I wasn't taking any chances. I could have stayed with any of my co-workers, but all of them had families and I didn't want to impose, so I got a motel room.

And at my old job, if things got really bad, they would allow essential employees who lived out of town or in the country to stay in unused rooms.