Include undergrad "Oral Presentation" under research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njdevil5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A requirement for graduation was a senior biology research project that had to be presented to the seniors and faculty. Now this was pretty much a semester long paper effort. I had to discuss my research, its relation to humans for current medical research and possible treatment plans.

Is this a reach? Should I include this under oral presentations or will it look stupid. I don't have anything else to offer under this section.

Also, I have a lot of undergrad awards and relevent volunteer/work experience. I plan on including this. I'm just wondering about the oral presentation.

Members don't see this ad.

A requirement for graduation was a senior biology research project that had to be presented to the seniors and faculty. Now this was pretty much a semester long paper effort. I had to discuss my research, its relation to humans for current medical research and possible treatment plans.

Is this a reach? Should I include this under oral presentations or will it look stupid. I don't have anything else to offer under this section.

Also, I have a lot of undergrad awards and relevent volunteer/work experience. I plan on including this. I'm just wondering about the oral presentation.

I recommend including it

I actually personally think it's a reach. A lot of us presented things to the class and faculty as class projects numerous times in college and in graduate programs. It was useful to learn how to present, but everyone in the class did it, and it wasn't something you got selected or recognized for. It's really not the same as being accepted to present at a symposium or conference, which is an honor. It is a scholastic requirement. So no, I don't think that belongs in the same category as oral presentation and will look pretty foolish when your "class project" is compared with the dude who presented his research at some international symposium in Geneva. Again, this is my personal opinion. But unless it's a publication/conference related presentation, or maybe a PhD thesis defense, I probably wouldn't put it into that category. What you should do, if the research is solid, is submit it for publication. If it or an abstract or poster is accepted, THEN you have something to list.

There's no rule that you need to have something under each section.

Typically the only presentations listed on a CV are those accepted for oral or poster presentation at a conference, Grand Rounds, or invited presentations at local events; these are all either peer-reviewed, or at least vetted to some extent. If an applicant put some class presentation or thesis defense on a CV, I would wonder why s/he is trying to pad the CV and whether s/he thinks I am dumb enough not to be able to see through it.

-AT.

Question: what about an oral presentation done at medical school?

I was involved in a summer project during medical school that required a sizable presentation to various department heads, residents, and students.

Not an official conference, Grand Rounds, peer-reviewed, invitation type thing but still a required presentation.

Question: what about an oral presentation done at medical school?

I was involved in a summer project during medical school that required a sizable presentation to various department heads, residents, and students.

Not an official conference, Grand Rounds, peer-reviewed, invitation type thing but still a required presentation.

I think that's basically the same question the OP asked. See the responses above.

I think that's basically the same question the OP asked. See the responses above.

False.

OP asked about an undergrad presentation.

My presentation was done as a medical student after year 2.

False.

OP asked about an undergrad presentation.

My presentation was done as a medical student after year 2.

Still the same responses though, IMHO. atsai3's response above is a good one and doesn't really matter whether you are talking about undergrad or med student. If it's something accepted for presentation at a conference or symposium, or grand rounds, or something peer reviewed, then you can list it as an oral presentation. If it's not, but otherwise related to a summer research project, then include it in the text when you describe that research stint. I think the key is that if it's something required of multiple people at your school, then it isn't really the equivalent of having your work accepted by peer reviewers for presentation at a meeting, or even grand rounds. It's not an honor, it's an obligation.