Including Alcohol Related Interest on Hobbies & Interests section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Juice Loosener

Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent in my ERAS last week including 'craft beer' amongst my list of some 20 hobbies/interests. Under advice of a good friend I thought it would be okay to leave it in. After talking with some others today who highly disapprove, I worry that I may have made a big mistake leaving it in. Will programs think I am an alcoholic or unprofessional for including that and weed me out for interview? btw I am applying into orthopaedics and the rest of my hobbies were benign (fishing, reading, etc.) Let me know what you guys think!
 
I wouldn't want to be a resident at a program that thought it was unprofessional or haphazard to include "craft beer" as an interest

Home brewing is a great hobby.

If I had an interviewee who brewed his own beer, or was a certified taster, or something like that... I'd be interested to talk to him about that and figure out what his passions are and see how excited he gets when discussing something he devotes his time to, hoping that same zeal translates into his work.

Don't sweat it, any responsible adult enjoys a good adult beverage
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad